• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Manners and Mores of Protestantism

Mole

Permabanned
Our most common behaviours are -

* We give personal testimony

* And we are literal minded.

* And then we apply logic to our personal testimony and to the literal.

This reminds me of a protestant meeting.

It's as though the manners and mores of protestantism are taken for granted here. But whereas protestantism has much to recommend it, it is only a small part of the world, and its manners and mores are foreign to most of us.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well it's a bit like the chicken and the egg discussion with the question 'who came first ? The chicken or the Egg ?'. I wondered myself a similiar thing lately, namely: the bible says that to take vengeance on someone who did something bad to you is not good for you. The bible is right, still it is a very reasonable, rational approach that could have been easily made in the time of enlightment as well. So who invented it now, John Locke or the bible ?

I think it's difficult to accept the big picture A just because in my accepted big picture B there's an intersection with A. I could accept it, if there werent fundamental thesisis I do not agree with in big picture A.

I am protestant btw, tho always wanted to be catholic cause they got far more gifts when they were younger :)

Mole

Permabanned
I am protestant btw, tho always wanted to be catholic cause they got far more gifts when they were younger :)

It's interesting that catholicism still retains elements of its pre-literate, oral culture. For instance, we were read aloud to as we ate our lunch at a catholic boarding school.

Whereas protestantism is almost all literate. We might say protestantism began with the printing press and the Gutenberg bible.

And as we are moving into a post-literate, electronic culture, catholicism will seem more natural.

It's fascinating that the patron saint of the internet, Marshall McLuhan, was a practising catholic.

And that the internet was named the noosphere by a Jesuit priest, a geologist and paleontologist, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin SJ.

However protestantism is in the ascendant in the USA and that is why we see the manners and mores of protestantism reflected in this site.