• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

People who dont think before speaking

sculpting

Brainstoming is a great thing, and what you said here:

is me too 100%.

Think what I meant in the op is more in the direction of emotional manipulation thru speaking. Like you twist and turn words the way you need them to make your partner in discussion feel a certain way. I am not sure about that tho, just read the op for the first time basically and didnt understand it :/. :)

congrats on your job, though you sound very busy!

I wanted to find you a few links that may be interesting, though they are purely exploratory on my part...I am just starting to read them in more depth...

DISC is a very, very popular personality assessment tool. (also known as the "color" test, or Insights). It isnt copyrighted, so pretty much anybody can build a test based upon the method and then use it as a consultant tool. It is more commonly used than mbti as it is simpler.

In DISC there are four types of interaction styles-D, I, S, and C. people typically display a combo of them. I misunderstood the DISC theory at first as I thought is was jungian, but it was developed by another guy in the 20's: http://www.discusonline.com/udisc/default.htm

In DISC a person who is very high on the "I" scale, called an Influencer, displays a lot in common with EXFPs, and some IXFPs: http://www.discusonline.com/udisc/i_influence.html

When I dug a bit deeper into the original guys writings (http://archive.org/details/emotionsofnormal032195mbp) he really spoke much more about how the D-I-S-C types are actually modes/methods of communication. The "I" mode he called "Inducement" and it does have some very distinct manipulative tendencies, but mostly unconscious in nature (http://archive.org/stream/emotionsofnormal032195mbp#page/n15/mode/2up).

I'd speculate tentatively that the inducement corresponds to some of the communication techniques used by FPs that can be seen as moderately to extremely manipulative from the Ti-Fe perspective and feel rather odd. When I communicate....I explore the conversation not paying attention to words, but rather visceral feel tone, and an odd fluidity, a lulling and pressing back and forth...diving in and out of the other person and wrapping around them...totally using tone, voice, and vocal intensity to influence the listener...like you are weaving yourself into their space...

so, I dunno, maybe you are sensing some of that and because it is so different, it just feels really weird. (Could be bullshit though as well.. :) )

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this is mostly a Pe-dom thing. I know a lot of ExTPs who do this. Most Fi-dom I know are quite selective in what they reveal & are typically introverted in this way, so I wouldn't put Fi in this category at all.

I will say that, the people I've known who do this most are ENFPs. However, I find it endearing in them. It makes them appear very guileless. It's like they could not hide their motives & true thoughts if they wanted to. I worked with an ENFP guy who could say some truly rude, shocking stuff, but no one was really offended by him because he was the most unmalicious person. He simply had no filter on his mouth. It is like a child talking - the innocence combats the violation of social protocol.

Of course, many a Ne-dom have a little devilish side where they say shocking stuff on purpose just to get reactions out of people. Se-dom take a "let's see what happens when I do x" approach sometimes too, but it's often less in conversation than it is with Ne-dom.

Personally, I do the whole "half-baked idea exploring" out loud sometimes, but I definitely see this as my Ne side. When I'm evaluating something or responding with an actual opinion, then pause, introspect a bit, and think of how to word my feeling just so, because I want to convey it accurately & in a way that can be understood by others (also non-offensively, mainly because I don't want it to be written off due to harsh delivery). I've had many friends say to me, "Just say it!". They think I'm toning it down & hesitating to reveal my true thoughts for their sake, but I really just need & like to compose it in my head first.

A

Anew Leaf

I kind of think that this behavior just naturally goes hand in hand with any extrovert/extroverted function.

My ENTJ grandfather will just say whatever is on his mind, whenever he pleases, without caring how it may affect others. I am highly entertained by it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think you're correct that FPs speak without thinking. However, I think ExTPs might do so as well. So I'm thinking it's a Pe thing, yet least likely in IxTPs (of the Pe types).

Dunno, i kinda go at this flow mode on thinking while speaking, but only on very interesting subjects. For me it feels like thinking was on autopilot and i just need to move my mouth and words come ou

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
congrats on your job, though you sound very busy!

I wanted to find you a few links that may be interesting, though they are purely exploratory on my part...I am just starting to read them in more depth...

DISC is a very, very popular personality assessment tool. (also known as the "color" test, or Insights). It isnt copyrighted, so pretty much anybody can build a test based upon the method and then use it as a consultant tool. It is more commonly used than mbti as it is simpler.

In DISC there are four types of interaction styles-D, I, S, and C. people typically display a combo of them. I misunderstood the DISC theory at first as I thought is was jungian, but it was developed by another guy in the 20's: http://www.discusonline.com/udisc/default.htm

In DISC a person who is very high on the "I" scale, called an Influencer, displays a lot in common with EXFPs, and some IXFPs: http://www.discusonline.com/udisc/i_influence.html

When I dug a bit deeper into the original guys writings (http://archive.org/details/emotionsofnormal032195mbp) he really spoke much more about how the D-I-S-C types are actually modes/methods of communication. The "I" mode he called "Inducement" and it does have some very distinct manipulative tendencies, but mostly unconscious in nature (http://archive.org/stream/emotionsofnormal032195mbp#page/n15/mode/2up).

I'd speculate tentatively that the inducement corresponds to some of the communication techniques used by FPs that can be seen as moderately to extremely manipulative from the Ti-Fe perspective and feel rather odd. When I communicate....I explore the conversation not paying attention to words, but rather visceral feel tone, and an odd fluidity, a lulling and pressing back and forth...diving in and out of the other person and wrapping around them...totally using tone, voice, and vocal intensity to influence the listener...like you are weaving yourself into their space...

so, I dunno, maybe you are sensing some of that and because it is so different, it just feels really weird. (Could be bullshit though as well.. :) )

No this is good and I'ld account intonation manipulation definitly to E types as well.

To be honest, I have no clue what I specifially meant in the op. Probably had a bad day and needed to rant :/