• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Raven's matrices (IQ tests)

Chloe

does anyone know how to solve this ? i know the answer, but not the process

ravenmatrix.jpg

i'm taking an IQ test in a week that will determine will I get scholarship for 5 years... so I am trying to practice a little. :blush:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have spend over an hour with this stupid matrix, overanalyzed it to death and still haven't found the pattern. I must be overlooking something simple. Let's assume there is no mistake in it. Could you tell me which answer the test says is correct? Maybe then I suddenly see how it works! This is driving me crazy and has already consumed way too much time :biggrin:

By the way, I tried to send you a private message but couldn't because your mailbox is full!

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm hoping that's the hardest question on the test. I thought I was highly intelligent, then I look at this matrix and I think to myself, DAMN! I've hit a wall this one.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I've spent 1h30 trying to solve this fucker...nothing.

Chloe

I have spend over an hour with this stupid matrix, overanalyzed it to death and still haven't found the pattern. I must be overlooking something simple. Let's assume there is no mistake in it. Could you tell me which answer the test says is correct? Maybe then I suddenly see how it works! This is driving me crazy and has already consumed way too much time :biggrin:

By the way, I tried to send you a private message but couldn't because your mailbox is full!

i'll send you answer in PM :)

Chloe

btw. I know to solve this one, so I thought maybe the principle is the same / similar, but didnt get nothing from it. Maybe someone will.

167456x.png

answers2.png

Chloe

damn, just looking at it.. it must be very similar pattern since most of it matches !!!

its just in opposite direction...

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Chloe

wow, i was convinced the pattern in the answer in that link was REALLY weak.. so i tried to solve in other way and I think that's correct way.. (i guess the guy from the blog knew that answer should be A so he made a stretch with his pattern, it is definately not correct pattern)....

My answer:

C column defines E column, E column defines G column
pattern is always CLUBS -> HEARTS -> DIAMONDS -> CLUBS etc

so in row 1 it goes Clubs-hearts-diamonds
in row 3 ex. Heart-diamond-clubs
row 6 : clubs-heart-diamond

etc...

so G7 = hearts
G8 = diamonds
G9 = hearts

we can already see the answer is A because it is only one with heart-diamond-heart in column A

but there is also pattern; column C defines column E, and column F defines column H, so you can see that
H7=diamonds
H8=clubs
H9=hearts

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I'm so glad I came across this thread now, rather than before Red Herring found the mistake. Hours of wasted time averted...

Chloe

rofl, yeah, i wasted at least 45 minutes on incorrect one :D

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
nice sleuthing, RH.

completely useless, but
blocked the incorrect one out patternwise

CCD HHC DHH
DHC CHD DCC
DHH DDC CHD

HCD HCD HCD
HCH HDC CHH
DDC CHD DCD

DHD DCH DHD
CHC DHD CHC
HCD HCC HCD

:shrug:

it works if you use cross-patterns, but it's not very logical. it was like playing bingo backwards...

Chloe

nice sleuthing, RH.

completely useless, but
blocked the incorrect one out patternwise

CCD HHC DHH
DHC CHD DCC
DHH DDC CHD

HCD HCD HCD
HCH HDC CHH
DDC CHD DCD

DHD DCH DHD
CHC DHD CHC
HCD HCC HCD

:shrug:

it works if you use cross-patterns, but it's not very logical. it was like playing bingo backwards...

this answer is not even offered in a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h answers, there is no pattern in it at all!

this is only valid pattern.

RavensPuzzleOutliersPage78copy.jpg

in all cases: clubs to hearts, diamond to clubs and hearts to diamond

Toe-to-toe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8w9
I got some problems but they are too difficult for me.
Please tell me how to solve them.

tumblr_ln041vTxLi1qlbe1zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ln044xoyMb1qlbe1zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ln045mFTwo1qlbe1zo1_1280.jpg

Chloe

this one is 1)
because its the number of diagonals of each polygon

so the one with 5 sides (pentagon ? :D) has 5 diagonals
the one with 6 has 9 (6+3 : so triangle)
and the one with 7 has 14 diagonals

you can see from picture that (n-3)n/2 <- number of diagonals of n-sided polygon ... ex. n=3 for triangle

where did you get those questions ? they are crazy hard, at least on first look haha....

i will jump now on trying other 2... no high hopes though :D

Last edited:

Toe-to-toe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8w9
Wow! You're so clever!! Thank you so much. Well... I got these problems from my friend.
In fact, these are not all. There are some additional problems (Unfortunately, my friend also does not know these answers...:shock:).
If you have some enough time and enjoy solving problems such as these, I'll introduce more problems.
Let's think together.:hifive:

Chloe

sure. give em. they are fun (but the last one is KILLING me :D)