• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroversion = Shallowness?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Bravo! For what it's worth most of your postings are quite profound.

Back to the OP, are extroverts shallow or simply more aware and flexible with regard to present realities and consequently appear more shallow than introverts?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Okay, all of you people need to stay out of my Objectivism vs. Relativism thread because it's getting creepy hearing words I've used before, repeated like that. :horor:

Assuming you guys haven't been in that thread, I commend you for your genius (because you agree with me) but it's still creepy. :yes:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Okay, all of you people need to stay out of my Objectivism vs. Relativism thread because it's getting creepy hearing words I've used before, repeated like that. :horor:

Assuming you guys haven't been in that thread, I commend you for your genius (because you agree with me) but it's still creepy. :yes:

I skimmed it. Quite good and I agree, quite frightening.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've known quite a few shallow introverts... some get so hooked up on their self-image as an intellectual that they use it as a smokescreen from ever putting their money where their mouth is and translating all their wonderful inner thoughts into action... quite a few seem to equate READING or WRITING about things with DOING them. And I know others who like to sit and judge other people for failing to meet their high standards, when in fact all they ever do themselves is sit there enjoying their fabulous inner life; they're not exactly Mother Teresa themselves...

edit - but I've never been called shallow by anyone who knows me properly, in fact I've had it said that in fact I have the opposite fault: of being too deep and intense. Most people don't realize this until they get to know me for a looooong time, because I'm usually so cheerful, positive and friendly that nobody would imagine what I've been through and what I live with all the time (for the wisdom front) or what I've read and learned and understood (for the intellect front).

I have been judged as shallow by some introverts though, who have assumed that simply because I'm cheerful and friendly 99% of the time, that this means I have no problems, no issues, no depth, nothing on my mind, or whatever... if you ask me, that's shallow. Arrogant, too. So, what, because I don't wanna share it with you, that means it's not there? :dry:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Furthermore I believe that extraverts, overall, have a better understanding of introverts than vice versa.

Hmmm.... have to disagree on that one:

Extrovert says XYZ to introvert in passing... leaves introvert thinking WTF did that mean?

Introvert asks extrovert the meaning, extrovert thinks WTF is the big deal anyway?

Have seen that played out too many times to ignore.

This actually is an illustration of my point. Going by your description the introvert doesn't understand the extravert. The introvert then asks, "What did that mean?" The extravert responds, "I didn't mean anything" while thinking "How can this person be so clueless? Don't they know what has meaning and what doesn't?"

Clearly in this situation the introvert is the one that does not understand the extravert. The only thing the extravert doesn't understand is how the introvert can be so clueless to begin with.

Magic Poriferan said:
I don't think Extraversion implies shallowness, but I do think Extraverts conceal their depths more.
People talk about how Introverts are supposedly "hard to know", but I don't think we are any more so than Extraverts.

Extraverts seem extraneous. They seem to play a lot of interpersonal games that are entirely unconstructive. Extraverts have depth, but it feels as though I have to unlock a lot of doors and decypher a lot of codes to get to it.
So, if you can follow me here, I think Extraverts have a superfiscial shell with a lot of substance inside.

I can agree with this. I think it is the most extreme in ENFJ's, but in general extraverts are more like this than introverts.

The Unknown Essence

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Most of you have asked the OP to define shallow. I think what the OP meant by it was that because Extraverts require relationships and acceptance from other people in order to make them feel "whole", does this make make them shallow because they can't be content without having to conform to external circumstances ? I think by that definition of the word, Extraverts can be shallow.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Extraverts are often shallower. Why do you think they waste so much time on appearances?