• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The opposite of a grudge

Do they go hand-in-hand?

• Yes, they're often found together

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No, they don't correlate

• I disagree with the premise

• Option D

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If a grudge means "holding onto hate", then is "holding onto love" (i.e., having trouble letting go of relationships) its opposite?

Do you think these two personal qualities tend to go together in a personality?

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't say so.
I'm not really a confrontational person. For me, letting go is much harder than giving up a grudge be. If I've decided that I don't like somebody, I keep my distance if at all possible.
Persistent hatred is just not worth the effort.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I wouldn't necessarily say they go together.

Personally, i find it easier to let go as hatred anger requires a lot of my energy which i refuse to give to the other person. Unless i'm around the person a lot then i need to back off completely and refocus on myself. I don't like to hold grudges, life is too short.

Now, holding onto love is a different matter. I have to come to terms with things on my own accord and that may take a while. Someone recently told me that i idealise love. The person just misread my words (Again) as i was speaking of the good (and bad) during the relationship. Just because a relationship goes south and people got hurt, doesn't mean i don't smile to myself when thinking of the good times. Hmm.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
hate/grudge arent the opposites of love

i dont think they go together every time in personality, but ofc they can go together in some cases

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Eh...I think of grudges as holding onto resentment or anger, not hate. You don't have to hate someone to resent them for some wrong they've done in the past, or for something they have that you envy, and hold a grudge because of that.

What's the opposite of resentment? Gratitude? Appreciation? I don't think holding onto past wrongs or injustices and holding onto past rights necessarily do go together, just because so many people seem to remember the wrongs a lot more.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I voted "I disagree with the premise." I don't think they are opposites and both qualities can be found in the same person but not always. A person could hold onto relationships past the point of being healthy even if that person holds a grudge with their significant other for whatever reason. Maybe the person has a great fear of being without a relationship or is nonconfrontational.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, letting the hate go is the opposite.

"The opposite of love is not hate - it's apathy."

[Either way you put it
you love someone,
you hate someone,
you like someone,
you're interested in someone,
etc.]
You are attached to that person

[When you become apathetic
you don't care whether you love someone,
you don't care whether you hate someone,
you don't care whether you like someone,
you don't care whether you are interested in someone,
etc.]
That person has lost its significance. Attachment to that person through personal feelings have gone away.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No. The opposite of a grudge is having an amiable distance. It's like...I don't hate you, I don't love, but I forgive you and see that what you did is about you and not about me, and I don't want much to do with you anymore. Have a nice day.

The opposite of a grudge is just moving on.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think they can be related. I'm not sure what it stems from - intensity of emotion? Unhealthy attachment style?

In my case, normally I'm relaxed about a lot of things, even things which bother many other people, and I let them go and wouldn't really get offended over them (though sometimes I do take things too personally, but I can usually write those off if I make an effort to be logical about it.) However, if there's been a big buildup of inconsiderate behaviour or if someone has seriously hurt me emotionally, I do have a bad tendency to hold onto grudges. Sometimes for years. It's not good, it's something I need to work on, it's damaging to me, but it's there. There are situations in which I'm unlikely to ever fully forgive a person.

As well, I am a very loyal friend/relationship partner, which I think is a good quality. But I have also found that partly for that reason I have trouble leaving unhealthy relationships and friendships. I get over-attached, in a way. I feel like I should just hang in there and work at it some more (even if the other person plainly doesn't care about working at it), I don't want to be abandoned, I love/care about them too much (or my idea of them) to give it up - that sort of thing.

I do wonder if it's some kind of unhealthy attachment thing...

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
You also missed the point regarding 'indifference' existing in the opposite end of this triangle.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I read the treat title, I expected this to be about gratitude or something along the line.

Meaning: grudge = leftover traces of having been wronged; gratitude= leftover traces of having received kindness
or
grudge/rudeness = gratitude/kindness

As for the question of holding on to the past, yes, that can be a common characteristic of both a grudge and warm memories or not letting go (two very different things!). It could very well bve that this is a character trait both in its negative and its positive expression. Further investigation is needed. :biggrin:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If a grudge means "holding onto hate", then is "holding onto love" (i.e., having trouble letting go of relationships) its opposite?

:laugh: True to your nature the literal words do seem to resemble each other. The action of holding onto is the same.. and hate/love are often the ying/yangs protrayed.. so it seems to make sense.

I don't think they necessarily go together though.. I'm much more likely to hold a grudge than I am to hold onto love.

A

Anew Leaf

Nope, letting the hate go is the opposite.

"The opposite of love is not hate - it's apathy."

[Either way you put it
you love someone,
you hate someone,
you like someone,
you're interested in someone,
etc.]
You are attached to that person

[When you become apathetic
you don't care whether you love someone,
you don't care whether you hate someone,
you don't care whether you like someone,
you don't care whether you are interested in someone,
etc.]
That person has lost its significance. Attachment to that person through personal feelings have gone away.
This.
I had interesting proof of this over the weekend. My most recent Ex tried contacting me via Gmail instant chatting. He isn't on my contacts list so he had to request I chat with him. I was surprised to see the request since I thought I had made it extremely clear I never wanted to hear from him again. It was nice for me to see that other than a brief moment of surprise I had zero feelings for him contacting me. I just simply do not care. Made clicking the "No" button that much easier.

I have a far easier time letting go of a grudge against people. Hate and anger are simply not worth carrying around for very long.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I was going to agree with that.. but Love is amazingly complex and can contain grudges within it. I believe that grudges are an expression of Love, or Hate, or whatever.

spleen

MBTI Type
Entp
Enneagram

Look at the ENFP personality. They love everybody, and have trouble leaving a relationship due to their propensity for love. INFPs too. I think that the opposite of Clingy behavior is, can anyone help mewith the wprd? Its like, the person that ends the relationship on a whim, that are self-reported 'bad at relationships', its whatever I am Hah, uhm, not avoidant, but, hmmm..Dispassionate? Its hard to find a word for it, because our culture regards independence as a positive trait, but independence to the point of never connecting to anyone is not good, and I dont know the word for that. Anybody know?

And the opposite of grudge is....forgiving? But I never forgive, I just forget and then cant make myself angry about it anymore. Thoughts?