• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is There Something Wrong With My Emotions?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Recently I watched the movie Grave of the Fireflies, an anime movie about two young sibling children during WW 2 Japan. The film is considered one of the saddest films in existence, and will make just about anyone who watches it cry. I watched the movie with this fully in mind, and yet by the time the movie was over, I hadn't cried at all. I was sad, I almost was brought to tears by a few scenes, but overall I did not cry from the film. This is concerning to me; how is it that I was not able to cry at one of the most heart warming/hear wrenching films in existence? Is there something wrong with me? What does this mean? Or maybe I'm repressing my emotions? I'm perplexed by this, could someone help?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Only NFPcooties <3 *hugs*

poptart1red1.gif

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That would explain why I'm a kitty poptart that leaves a trail of rainbows in out space whilst singing. :laugh: :hug:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have seen that movie and I cried.

You my friend, are my hero.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great. Now try to watch The Elephant Man.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
You can be saddened without crying... I've had an experience of the sort. Some people are just slightly awkward about expressing emotion, even when alone (like Cameron Diaz's character in The Holiday).

You are a perfectly sane person. Don't let your own awkwardness convince you otherwise. :hug:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I would say it was because you already knew it was supposed to be sad and had expectations - maybe you had a desire to be brought to tears or alternately you were already protecting yourself from it going in.

If you had watched it without specific knowledge, you may have experienced it more fully, more purely - I presume the way you wanted to.

You can't force an emotional response. I wouldn't worry about your lack of response however. Wait until you hit mid-life - sentimental TV commercials will be able to bring you to tears.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What PeaceBaby said. You were prepared to be moved, in other words expecting to be suprised.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think crieing in a movie always needs the movie to evoke an experience in you, to touch you. I have watched the supposingly saddest movies and didnt cry just because everybody did. I need to personalize with the movie, it needs to evoke a feeling somehow create a connection to a real experience for me, otherwise I have troubles crieing.

I regularily cry in movies, I am usually the first one to do that but then again I have to cry at the strangest of moments aswell. For example some intro movies of some science fiction movies move me and make me cry cause I've heard them so often they almost feel like family. :)

I dont think you are strange if you dont cry, when you should; sometimes one is just not in the mood for crieing.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
In really sad movies I can get pretty weepy, but sometimes... I don't cry either. I get this huge knot in my throat, like I don't think I could even talk, and my body becomes really tense and still, but no tears. I don't do it on purpose, like hold the tears back.. but I think it might be a defense mechanism. Especially if I'm hangen out with a bunch of ST's, that like to laugh at people on that intervention show. So no, I don't think you have anything wrong with your emotions, but would you really take the word of a forum anyhow? =P

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for all the feedback everyone :hug:

I suppose, going into the movie with the expectation of being brought to tears is probably one primary reason, and that I was subconciously surpressing my true feelings. Maybe instead of actively seeking to evoke powerful emotions I should let them come naturally (which has almost happened in the past, as sad music during school concerts has almost brought me to tears.

Also, I don't think my EQ is low, although I don't know how a person with a low EQ acts compared to a person with a high one.

Originally posted by Antisocial one
The need to cry at very sad things and panicking when you dont.

I'm an NF jk jk. I really should look into this; perhpas I wnat to validate my emotional abilities, or I feel that I'm not as emotional as I should be . . .:thinking:

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
maybe because it's a cartoon...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
maybe because it's a cartoon...

Oh you... *super angry face* .... GAH!

Cartoon? Cartoon!? You know nothing! NOTHING!

*furiously stampedes out of the room* ... Calling it a cartoon... The nerve...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*cough*The Land Before Time*cough*
*cough*Toy Story 3*cough*
*cough*Bambi*cough*
Boy, my throat is stuffy today...
/OT

lol...

Yeah, I gotta say that, if we're talking Beauty & the Beast, Toy Story 3, Up, The Incredibles, or Wall-E... well, that's no protection against the tears.
(Pixar. Arrrgg!)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*cough*The Land Before Time*cough*

Yes. Who can hold back the tears when Little Foot's mother dies? *sniff*

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't quite remember, but I do think I felt upset as a young child when I watched that scene in The Land Before Time.