• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life without feelings...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you were given the option to have a life without having emotions, would you choose it? Would you be willing to throw out happiness if it meant getting rid of sadness? Why or why not?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Life without emotions would be boring.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't really experience sadness often enough. Being emotionless is painful in a way very different from sadness.. I would never sacrifice happiness for that sort of torture.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Absolutely not.

Emotion is a necessary element to experience the fullness of the human condition.

Emotions are powerful instruments instinctually aligned to protect our genetic survival. Without emotion, it is likely we wouldn't have thrived in the same historical capacity that enriches our present psychosocial condition.

Emotion is power.

To your specific question, a life without polarity is an existence of utter banality. It can sometimes be difficult to deal with the pain love and openness creates. Closing oneself off to possibility - especially associations with others - is a short-term strategy that might reduce the complexity of one's loneliness (what this thread is really about) by eliminating stimuli that might create adversity alongside stimuli that initiates self-satisfaction. In short, emotional poverty results in a shallow appreciation of life and one's identity.

In the long term, I think our shared (cultural) identity compels us into a state of community with eachother; some scientists consider the sophistication of our brains a direct result of our historical cooperation despite limited resources.

Uber, I'd recommend you look to why you feel so cut off from others and address the central elements that alienate you, rather than distance yourself from the structural materials that compose the byproducts of your alienation.

Best of luck. As I've said, I like you - sincerely - and think you've much to offer others.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, actually, I was inspired by the robot thread and wondered if emotions are things that people really want. It's also emotion that leads to destruction.

And I like me, too.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
If you were given the option to have a life without having emotions, would you choose it? Would you be willing to throw out happiness if it meant getting rid of sadness? Why or why not?
If you don't experience ANY emotion, then what do you live for :huh: ? If you can't even feel pride at a job well done, or even basic satisfaction, or a sense of accomplishment, then what will propel you to live from day to day and to be productive in one way or another?

I *might* be willing to give up some "good" emotions if I could throw some "bad" ones away too, but getting rid of ALL of them would make life meaningless, I think.

Not that I would care, if I didn't have emotions, of course :ninja:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah! That's the beauty of it! You'd just be slaving away at life for nothing!

:rolleyes:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is the point of life with emotions?

This has derailed into a philosophical discussion, which is why I tried to avoid posting responses.

I just wanted other opinions, maybe to find someone who would prefer their own life to be without feelings, and maybe see if there is a correlation between that and type.

heart

heart on fire

An emotionless person, married to a robot no less (from the other thread)?

Sounds like Ahriman's wet dream.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
What Dana said. What would be the POINT??

I think that's what Uberfuhrer means -- there wouldn't have to be a point. Sort of like living unconditionally. A point's existence, or lack thereof, would not bother a person without emotion, or, over time, a point could be derived in some other way, without necessiating access to emotion.

Given that I probably wouldn't be in a position to care if I were to be entirely emotionless, I don't mind either way.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
No way!!!

Apathy sucks balls.

I rather feel something, than feel nothing at all.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hell yes. Then we wouldn't have to bury people when they died. I also wouldn't have to thank the idiot clerk at the 7/11. I mean I don't anyway, but.. there wouldn't be that annoying obligation.

We wouldn't have to stop at a traffic accident. Just keep on going. Life without emotions would not be boring, because we wouldn't be able to feel bored.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
And we wouldn't have to pretend to feel sorry about those assholes who got shot at VT.

If you didn't go there, or have a friend or family member who got shot, you were pretending. And it's annoying. Stop.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Not this time little buddy. I'll get ya later though.