• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life without feelings...

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I tend to agree with Buddhist thought:

cultivate good ones and eliminate unwholesome ones.

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
Being emotionless... humankind would be ruthless, efficient robots.

Just trying to imagine being emotionless makes me feel some sort of vaccum in myself that can never be filled up.

Shudder. It's not a nice feeling. Oh, but I wouldn't be able to feel it at all. Then I probably wouldn't even mind.

I'm confused.

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I've given this topic some thought lately and I wondered if a pill would ever be created to suppress the emotions of wanting and experiencing love. At times it feels like an insurmountable burden to overcome. In addition, it's been foretold by different fortune tellers that I would remain outside the lives of my children. I've grown up with my own set of "daddy-issues" and if I can't be the father I want to be, I don't want to have any children. But I love children and the idea of raising them. I don't want to become one of the many successful men whose families are in tatters. The problem lies in the compromise that's required of having success in the world and the one at home. A pill would liberate me from that dilemma.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
All of this chat of emotion being the root of motivation neglects to take into consideration the rapaciousness of many sociopaths.

To address the OP, even the negative emotions have their place. Sociopaths are terrible at accurately predicting the consequences of their actions. This is largely because they feel no shame or regret.

Avoiding negative emotions prompts us to develop many positive traits.

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
If you lived a life devoid of any emotion, would it be a life at all? Probably a boring one. I'd rather have a rapid change of emotions every minute rather than not have them at all.

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Even if you had severe bipolar? I think that would make some people reconsider.

nothappy

It would be like a world made up of robots.
No, I wouldn't want to have sex with a laptop, thanks for asking though.