• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Mine is usually an extension to what i'm thinking/feeling.

I've found it hard to find an image which encompasses my very being. Everything in one image, not a chance in hell.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sometimes I choose an avatar based on the character of the avatar in relation to mines. It could be the avatar has a similar personality.

This. I love the manga, and she's one of the fictional characters that I most identify with.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My avatar choices are intentional. I use the subliminal conveying of colours to allow difference in one's perception when the avatar is seen. I had used black and red at some point to adhere to a more aggressive impression in order for others to more easily debate with me on topics at a stronger level than normal. Blue is used for the more analytical impression and green and yellow for a more tranquil peaceful projection. On a subconscious level avatars do indeed, whether on a microscopic scale or quite the large scale, affect others in their thoughts upon you.
Usernames and posts tend to also have the same affect.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
well my avatar is my own hand, i broke my pinky at work few years ago. how it represents me, is that im still keep on rocking even with some broken bones :yes:. or actually this keeping on rocking with broken bones is more of an metaphor that can be described to represent me. its not about devil horns in heavy metal concert

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I chose this avatar for being an Ne.

Kriash

Resident Apple Hoarder
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
My avatar is actually me- sort of. I made it based off of a picture of me, and I feel it represents me in a way. I usually have a reason for choosing the avatar that I do, before this I had a 'rainbow monster' but everyone thought I was a girl so I changed it to this one.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If I'm picking an avatar with little time, or without an image previously in mind, it tends to either be boisterous/"for the lulz" or an edited image of myself.
Otherwise, I mull over one until the thought of the image eats away at me until I make it my avatar. This is very rare. My profile picture was my avatar for a long time, and I do view it as symbolism for myself. It is of a more recent Amanda Palmer having killed the version of herself from The Dresden Dolls. I view it as a triumph over self, new beginning, and just aesthetically appealing overall. She is also the one person I truly admire and who deeply inspires me.

My current avatar was drawn for me in a close friend's Tarot deck. It's a beautiful deck, and a beautiful card. It symbolizes balance and harmony, which is what I strive for. The aesthetic appeal of the card itself was eating away at me for 2-3 weeks before I just had to use it.

I'd imagine a lot of people want something that accurately depicts them, but that's difficult when there are so many different facets to a person. Furthermore, if a person is confused about themselves. Even more so if they just can't seem to stumble on something that feels right enough.

G

garbage

I end up pondering over what others' avatars indicate about them as well. But then, some might choose an avatar that is intended to project a certain image, which may or may not reflect who they actually are. So you might get some timid as hell guy who chooses Wolverine for an avatar. As others have said, avatars do give and receive impressions, on a level that might be beyond consciousness.

I do not play such games, however; I am literally a vaccuum-sealed pack of bologna, and I would not expect anyone to delve deeper into my avatar choice.

skillethelm

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My avatar is a character I find to be amazing and attractive. Idealism! :workout: Traditionally I'd choose an avatar that has meaning to me and maybe one other person (sometimes we'll match them!) The less clear the meaning to observers, the better. Can't match with a friend on here, though, and I don't have friends on here to begin with.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My avatar choices are intentional. I use the subliminal conveying of colours to allow difference in one's perception when the avatar is seen. I had used black and red at some point to adhere to a more aggressive impression in order for others to more easily debate with me on topics at a stronger level than normal. Blue is used for the more analytical impression and green and yellow for a more tranquil peaceful projection. On a subconscious level avatars do indeed, whether on a microscopic scale or quite the large scale, affect others in their thoughts upon you.
Usernames and posts tend to also have the same affect.
That's interesting you say that about user names (and posts, but that is perhaps stating the obvious), for I have noticed a distinct change in how people interact with me since I changed names. It does reflect my different mood and perception....unfortutantly I sound like a hippie beatnix who plays with healing crystals. LOL, I actually picked out the name of a stain we use in the lab which always conjures up romatic images in my head.

Sunny Ghost

I pick my avatars because they convey an impression to the posts I write. Just like yours do to me. I once turned off all the avatars from showing, and got an entirely different impression from people on the forum.

So I chose avatars that tell you what mood to read my posts in. Help you identify where they are coming from. So I guess they symbolize my mood at the time as well.

Usually when I pick mine, I google a mood, then scroll down until one jumps out of the page at me. And that is my new avatar.
I agree very much with this. Everyone's avatar gives a different voice to their posts. And TG, I like the voice your avatar brings to your posts, btw. ;)

I generally pick my avatars for similar reasons, and also as I'll generally pick them out to perhaps convey some aspect of myself. How much that is actually carried out, I'm uncertain. But none of them ever feel totally me, but more me than say, an avatar of a disney character or something. Which may work for some, but wouldn't feel right for me.

What about people that have self avatars like me?
This comment after TG's... :doh: :laugh:

I chose this avatar for being an Ne.
I likes.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i picked my avatar because i thought this gif was hilarious and really cute when i first found it, and would get high and watch it dance to different songs (this especially: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiugsEhm3I). i don't know, how can you be unhappy while looking at a dancing otter holding a fish??

it's weird though because the couple times i've posted in the psychoanalyze your avatar thread, it's been pretty accurate so i guess on some deeper level that otter says something about me lol.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
INFPs are supposed to love unicorns right? :D

I chose this particular unicorn pic because it was a jigsaw puzzle I was solving so there's the personal, creative angle thingy.

Also, it shows an unfinished puzzle because that's how I view myself and my 'growth' process. Still a few pieces shy of completion and it'll probably be a life-long journey

Sunny Ghost

i picked my avatar because i thought this gif was hilarious and really cute when i first found it, and would get high and watch it dance to different songs (this especially: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiugsEhm3I). i don't know, how can you be unhappy while looking at a dancing otter holding a fish??

it's weird though because the couple times i've posted in the psychoanalyze your avatar thread, it's been pretty accurate so i guess on some deeper level that otter says something about me lol.
i'm curious of the analysis now.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The avatars that I usually choose are anime couples or images of any couple embracing or being with each other and I think this is because I'm trying to express one of my deeper desires: A desire for a strong, emotional bond or connection with another human being.

My current avatar not only expresses that (I think) but it's also an image that portrays safety and protection. Angels are often thought of as guardians and/or nurturing figures and I think that represents some of the best aspects of my personality. At least that's I feel about it anyway :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The pictures that we use to represent ourselves on the internet. I've been wondering, do we subconsciously choose our avatars based off how we secretly percieve ourselves? Or are they more of a deliberate extension of our true character? What's the psychology beneath why we choose certain pictures to represent who we are to others, and what do the avatars of others tell you about them?

I won't speak for others, because I think different motivations exist.

For me, my avatar represents me in some way, and I tend to pick ones that evoke a particular image.

On occasion, I've tried to do just goofy ones or even anti-statements (picking a ridiculous av just to kind of play against expectation), but I'm usually unhappy pretty quickly with it and have to go back to something that better reflects me.

One of my typical choices for avatar is Death (from Gaiman's "Sandman"). The character resonates with me (she reflects my openness, thoughtful compassion, the ability to view and discuss life from multiple perspectives by going into other people's worlds... all coupled with the notion of Death as change and transformation, another large aspect of my life). Otherwise it's evocative, mystical loner women with an auro of bittersweetness or melancholy.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I picked this one because I liked the picture a lot when I came across it. Don't really feel the need to change it at all. The avatar before this one was chosen for similar reasons.

I guess it might accidentally represent a very small portion of my personality, but not really my overall self.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mine is just... pretty. I like what the artist did with the colors on Ariel. Not much meaning attached to the picture itself or Ariel. I've never seen the movie anyway.