• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

where is my mind?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a real issue with talking without thinking about it first... I really don't try to at all, in fact, I've been actively TRYING to stop and think before I say something, but somehow I always slip up :sadbanana:

It's not even like I say things that are rude and obnoxious... I just happen to say what's on my mind, whether it's what I'm "supposed" to say or not. I get in trouble for this tendancy at work quite often, mostly because I'm also inept at looking around and making sure that none of the walls with eyes and ears are present before talking :blush:

How is one supposed to overcome this tendancy? I try, I really do, I remind myself before walking in to think before talking even and it doesn't seem to work in the least :boohoo:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my voice raises with out my permission when I'm talking smack about someone. Yes I shouldn't talk smack, but they probably deserve it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: I never tend to raise my voice or get caught talking about someone... just complaining about policies or announcing ways that they've been overcome!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't anymore I just text someone instead. and I don't keep numbers of people I don't like in regular text rotation.

wolfy

awsm
I don't know. You just stop for a split second and imagine the effect what you say will have. Maybe focus on the other person in your mind.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not even saying anything about anybody :boohoo:

and how do I remind myself to stop for a split second to think when I can't even remember to stop to think not to say something? :sadbanana:

wolfy

awsm
I guess you're pretty much screwed. Just say something to cover the first thing.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
so on the entire forum nobody has a good trick on how to remember to shut the hell up? :sadbanana:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
duct tape. might not shut you up but will muffle any offenses you might say.

Noon

so on the entire forum nobody has a good trick on how to remember to shut the hell up? :sadbanana:

You could constantly review your most embarrassing moments caused by it. Though it probably won't work if you're naturally not self-conscious, overly introspective, or otherwise simply not inclined to give a shit about the past.

You could think forward and look back at what you're saying as you say it. Though it probably won't work if you just take things as they come.

You could literally bite your tongue. Though it probably won't work if you have a high tolerance for pain.

You could skip a few hours of sleep so you don't have as much energy to talk. Though it probably won't work if less sleep = more impatient and straightforward for you.

Errr, or you could just put something in your mouth. Like a big wad of gum maybe? Though it probably won't work if gum is against work rules or you already talk with your mouth full.

You could picture yourself as the other person? Or you could just warn or apologize in advance? Or you could spin it for comedy and maybe make fun of yourself a little bit.

tbh These didn't sound as dumb before I actually typed them out. Hahaha.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I could manage to become more paranoid so that I always look in all directions before speaking :thinking:

*is the impetuous, non-introspecting type who has a high tolerance to pain and has been known to speak with her mouth full... and doesn't find what she says to be all that bad since it's not about anybody*

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I could manage to become more paranoid so that I always look in all directions before speaking :thinking:

*is the impetuous, non-introspecting type who has a high tolerance to pain and has been known to speak with her mouth full... and doesn't find what she says to be all that bad since it's not about anybody*

Yeah. That works. Or you get a friend that keeps making an aggressive sound every time your "accident" happens.

If I were you, I'd keep my habit of doing that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah. That works. Or you get a friend that keeps making an aggressive sound every time your "accident" happens.

If I were you, I'd keep my habit of doing that.

accident, makes it sound like she's an incontinent puppy. and the loud noise is someone scalding her for peeing on the carpet, again.