• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

S intelligence vs. N intelligence

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
This is one of the few times that i've really thought that MBTI talk has gone too far ;)
I am a sensor and have 140+ IQ, according to testing. And I do not consider myself very intelligent or anything, i'm simlply good at people and thinking outside the box. People are often surprised as to how I get things done.

Let's take a nerdy example. I was playing a Role Playing Game and our game leader presented me and my sword-armed group with a bunch of unfriendly serpents. About 200 of them. :smile: Most people would barricade themselves in a doorway and chop anything that comes close. No. I took the group back, went to the nearest town, bought lamp-oil, bottles and linen. Molotov cocktails! :D Everyone knows snakes hate fire.
Went back, SNAKE BBQ!

My role playing group won't play without me, just because I manage to get them out of just about any situation with thinking way ahead, not thinking within the frames of the box. We have a hardass game leader, but luckily I manage to outsmart him somehow most of the time. :)

Really. MBTI discussion has gone a little too far if all sensors are branded dumber than people with N dominance. Most of my friends and my entire family are N's and I own their asses :D
AHA! That's why you're dumb my friend. A really intelligent person, an intuitive obviously, would have bought a far more interesting part of their anatomy.

;)

(You try that kind of trick with our ISTJ DM and not only would the snakes survive but I'd bet he'd have them doing +1 pt of fire damage too and they died attacking you.. why do the animals never flee in DnD? ;) )

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haahahahahahahaha :smile:
I knew someone would make a comment about me owning asses :D

He's not ISTJ, he's INFP or INTP ;) And it was definitely not D&D :) Actually a game called EON. Too bad it's swedish. Really realistic etc. More medieval than fantasy.

illume

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Advice to job seekers from Recruiter: Snail mail rather than e-mail your resume. It has a much better chance of being viewed for more than several seconds!

Changing the subject: I do not think Sensors are not dumber than Intuitives...I know many that I think are much smarter than I am. They are just not as flexible in their thinking and cannot seem to deal with the unknown (or the future) as well. I admire their abilities for detail, and organization in many areas, but I am really glad that I am not one.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Haahahahahahahaha :smile:
I knew someone would make a comment about me owning asses :D
You keep supplying the shots, I'll put them in :smile:
He's not ISTJ,
Not your's... our's.
... he's INFP or INTP ;) And it was definitely not D&D :) Actually a game called EON. Too bad it's swedish. Really realistic etc. More medieval than fantasy.
Firstly, you lucky swine. Aside from one viscious INTJ we have two sensor DMs and half my stuff get's banned/ barred cause I can't explain it adequately.

Secondly, you've got something on your shoulder. Ooo look it's a large chip ;)

Don't like Wizards of the Cash then?

Good choice.
Advice to job seekers from Recruiter: Snail mail rather than e-mail your resume. It has a much better chance of being viewed for more than several seconds!
:popcorn:

Noted.
Changing the subject: I do not think Sensors are not dumber than Intuitives...I know many that I think are much smarter than I am. They are just not as flexible in their thinking and cannot seem to deal with the unknown (or the future) as well. I admire their abilities for detail, and organization in many areas, but I am really glad that I am not one.

It's that lack of flexibility which trips them up in my opinion. Same way that NTJs get let down and sometimes made to look foolish because they just didn't adapt right. Mind you they tend to suffer infrequent major embarrassment where as us Ps get minor embarrassment every day!

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Hmm ... here goes.

If I needed a practical task completed, for example build a house, I would probably enlist the help of a Sensor. However, if I wanted to find a cure for cancer I would probably ask for the help of an Intuitive.

IMHO, both types of intelligence are of equal importance.

Which type is smarter? In terms of raw IQ, probably the Intuitives.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
The N function and intelligence

hey there guys, i like the forums :). i'm an ENFP with a strong thinking side, i realized my question may be better answered in the NT forums rather than an NF one so i came here.

anyways, back on topic. i have heard many times that your MBTI type does not show your intelligence/skill level. it is just your personality. however, when i go read up on the characteristics of some types, it becomes evident that intelligence is part of the traits. ENTP's, INTP's, INTJ's, ENFP's, INFP's, ENTJ's... all of the N types are described as 'typically bright'. i know that does not mean that an ENFJ is definitely smarter than an ISTJ for example, but are people with an intuition preference smarter in general?

i don't mean to offend anyone, i am an ENFP afterall :smile:. just entertaining the theory. discuss. :nerd:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Intelligence (also called intellect) is an umbrella term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn.

According to some parts of the definition, the N-function seems to be more destinied to become intelligent.

I think most of the definition aims on the T-function.

I would connect the S-function with wisdom.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Abstract thinking is an N strength, can lead to higher IQ score.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I would connect the S-function with wisdom.
Strange, I associate the people who use the same inefficient method of doing something their entire lives with S. That's always been the case in my direct observation, but every rule has exceptions. [I apologize if this comes off as harsh, but I was somehow offended by the idea that S=Wisdom moreso than N]

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Strange, I associate the people who use the same inefficient method of doing something their entire lives with S. That's always been the case in my direct observation, but every rule has exceptions.

Yes that is definitly part of it. But with age a S-type can become wise, because he has a huge remembrance of happenings from the past that he can connect situations to.

I myself tend to forget the past, I am sometimes surprised, what some people with S in their primary functions still know about me from the past that longtime slipped away from my memory.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Abstract thinking is an N strength, can lead to higher IQ score.

Memory recall is an S strength, which can also lead to higher IQ score.

And the abstract thinking that tends to be measured by IQ mainly measures Ti skills.

The N function does not involve any intellectual activity, but random insights. The abstract thinking of an N is more imagination-based rather than logic-based.

Didums

It honestly depends on what kind of Intelligence you are talking about, it's a broad subject.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
hey there guys, i like the forums :). i'm an ENFP with a strong thinking side, i realized my question may be better answered in the NT forums rather than an NF one so i came here.

anyways, back on topic. i have heard many times that your MBTI type does not show your intelligence/skill level. it is just your personality. however, when i go read up on the characteristics of some types, it becomes evident that intelligence is part of the traits. ENTP's, INTP's, INTJ's, ENFP's, INFP's, ENTJ's... all of the N types are described as 'typically bright'. i know that does not mean that an ENFJ is definitely smarter than an ISTJ for example, but are people with an intuition preference smarter in general?

i don't mean to offend anyone, i am an ENFP afterall :smile:. just entertaining the theory. discuss. :nerd:

N see the universe in a different way, leading to new ideas and thoughts, which can be seen as genius.

There are many intelligent S's too. However, most groundbreaking thoughts and ideas come from an N mind just because how the N works.

MBTI Type
ENTP
N see the universe in a different way, leading to new ideas and thoughts, which can be seen as genius.

There are many intelligent S's too. However, most groundbreaking thoughts and ideas come from an N mind just because how the N works.

Or an S utilizing an auxiliary function.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

It's not as surprising if we remember that there are more Ss in the population than Ns, so the N mindset is not as common. A minority viewpoint always seems to stand out, just because of its rarity. What if the world were more populated with Ns than Ss?

Just a thought, it could be irrelevant.

(Oh, sorry, I bumped a kind of old thread. Didn't realize...)

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i was wondering where this thing disappeared to, thanks for bumping it :D. it could just be that N types make connections with their imagination. however, isn't what we consider to be intelligence really just connecting the dots? does Ti have Ne and Si components intrinsically? how interesting.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8

An interesting question.

My father has a term he uses, "switched on". It's not linked to classic IQ or any real intelligence test just a term he uses to describe those who habitually use their brains.

I'm wondering if the whole reliance on making connections drives the intuitives brain to work harder and therefore they appear more inteligent because their brain is working at a higher rate than a sensor woul be in similar circumstances.

See now I'm not saying that one is better than the other (personally I reject the IQ system and the whole Ns are more intelligent BS) just that on average an intuitive person would have a higher rate of brain activity than a sensor.

(An entertaining theory?)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes that is definitly part of it. But with age a S-type can become wise, because he has a huge remembrance of happenings from the past that he can connect situations to.

I think most of the time when people have referred to me as smart or intelligent. it has usually been something along those lines. I remember a lot of trivia, and I remember a lot of past experiences which (sometimes) help me come up with solutions in the present. It's another useful thing, it's just different than the N stuff. I'm not good with the anticipating of stuff that hasn't happened before.

No type or function is better in any way than any other type or function. They're just different.

Exactly. Well, except F is better than T.

Just kidding. ;)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Memory recall is an S strength
No its not. Stop misconnecting.

And the abstract thinking that tends to be measured by IQ mainly measures Ti skills.
Wrong again. You don't have to analyze the pattern to be able to get a good guess of what's next. I didn't get the score I got because I carefully calculated every goddamned question. If I did that, I wouldn't have finished, and would have ended up with a lower score.

The N function does not involve any intellectual activity, but random insights. The abstract thinking of an N is more imagination-based rather than logic-based.
Can't be all that smart without insight and imagination can ya? Only being able to do enough to get by invariably strips us of true proficiency, except where we've had years of practice (hence getting by...). You can't really practice for an IQ test, and if you do, the results are a sham.