• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

S intelligence vs. N intelligence

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can't be all that smart without insight and imagination can ya? Only being able to do enough to get by invariably strips us of true proficiency, except where we've had years of practice (hence getting by...).
I guess that's the question. What if a person is smart but unimaginative? What goes on in such a brain?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Nothing. High processing power isn't good enough. If you've nothing to analyze... you may as well not have the ability.
It's like for example a machine that could build things out of element #129. The element doesn't exist, so the machine is just scrap metal.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Inteligence as some kind of computational parallel is a whole bunch of whooey designed by those who wanted respect for being geeks. They couldn't find enough self pride to just be in the face of all those who laughed at them and so they produced a grading system where you are rewarded for being more like them and punished for being less like them. The evidence is in the testing methods. Like was mentioned the idea of "which word does not fit" and such nonsense. It all relies on absorbing the parameters expected of a person before taking the test. The most ingenious of people lacking the proper grounding would fail the test and those studious enough to practice such things will do well. It is no decent measure of a persons actual mental prowess just a figure to be compared to a benchmark.

For those who deal with computers as an enthusiast, how many times have you seen something benchmark really well, like a new graphics card, only to find out that in the real world it's not much better or worse than the alternative which didn't benchmark so well?

I believe that intelligence tests are by their nature synthetic benchmarks and should be treated as such.

I also know someone with a high IQ who was a top grade student but who to this day can't operate anything mechanical without screwing it up somehow. Me, I didn't do so well at the acedemic stuff but I leave her for dust in practical applications.

That does give me the feeling that I should lend more credence to the 7 intelligence types but I still have doubts as to whether those designing the tests understand enough to produce the tests without making them synthetic and removed from real world performance.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a stupid intuitive and proud of it.

Hell, it takes talent to be a stupid intuitive, dontcha know???

We just sit on our asses and think of stupid shit all day long. If we could find a way to channel our creative purposes, we'd be millionaires. But alas, we are just dumbasses.

So take a seat, and try to teach stupid people how to be smart....

S intelligence? N intelligence? Hell, I'm not picky. Just teach me how to be a smart ass!!!!!!!!!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tie a bow tie around your waist. Now turn it backwards and pull your trousers down.

Simple.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, can I fart too??? I mean, I think that would top the cake?

Alternatively, I could burp....:D

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

We just sit on our asses and think of stupid shit all day long. If we could find a way to channel our creative purposes, we'd be millionaires. But alas, we are just dumbasses.

S intelligence? N intelligence? Hell, I'm not picky. Just teach me how to be a smart ass!!!!!!!!!

I'm with you.

MBTI Type
ENTP
If you define intelligence the way the IQ test defines it, as the ability to solve abstract problems quickly, then intuition is undoubtedly helpful. But there are intuitives who can think abstractly and quickly but couldn't analyze their way out of a box, and there are sensors who can analyze and have developed their intuition through education.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP

:nice:

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ

Just find a job that lets you be intuitive. A las they are few, but luckily I landed one:D

Course I had to learn to use my S more around folks to get the job I have.

But yes, I sit around researching, thinking, and coming up with creativity fixes, strategies, and questions that need to be answered then applied all day long.

However, afterwards I need to unwind somewhere by being goofy as my creativity is bundled up towards serious subjects.

Not sure if that made sense but my intuitive side needs to be balanced out, so if I sit around all day help solve huge problems of serious nature, then I must rebalance my self with creativity of some form (writing, discussing, debating weird subjects, exploring, etc...)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most people I know are Ns, so I often feel like I have some weakness that they don't have. I'm right when I think that. But they also have weaknesses that I don't have. I think the experts are right when they say that Myers-Briggs doesn't measure intelligence.

In other words, amen to Xander!! :yes:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That does give me the feeling that I should lend more credence to the 7 intelligence types but I still have doubts as to whether those designing the tests understand enough to produce the tests without making them synthetic and removed from real world performance.
I agree about the difficulty a designing tests.
I've noticed how an "N" will understand a question differently than an "S" will.
So not only do you need well designed tests, but you need to ask the questions in different ways for different types!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Most people I know are Ns, so I often feel like I have some weakness that they don't have. I'm right when I think that. But they also have weaknesses that I don't have. I think the experts are right when they say that Myers-Briggs doesn't measure intelligence.

In other words, amen to Xander!! :yes:
I work with a load of ESTJs (not good examples of the type but a good example of the strengths). I regularly get made to look a complete fool because I have failed to remember some part of the "poduct knowledge" I so often get berrated about. Also they may suspect me of being a smartass when I go on about computers but they also look at me like I'm thick when they go on about the eccentricity from the concentricity and I'm still waiting for an interpreter to turn up!!

Basically I reject the IQ system because it fails to recognise all those useful thing that the brain does that has nothing to do with recognising which word is wrong or being able to calculate the speed of trains.
I agree about the difficulty a designing tests.
I've noticed how an "N" will understand a question differently than an "S" will.
So not only do you need well designed tests, but you need to ask the questions in different ways for different types!
Exactly. Try getting an IP and an EP to look at the question the same way. Hell me and Dom used to spend ages at school critiquing the questions in books and tests because we could see potentially many ways of reading them which leads to many possible "correct" answers and yet only one of them is acceptable because of unstated conditions (most often).

In fact one facet of my dearest friends personality is that he will and does argue with any and all text books he picks up. Both he and I rarely if ever absorb information without subjecting it to our own analysis. No IQ test I have seen yet has passed this test of muster.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Basically I reject the IQ system because it fails to recognise all those useful thing that the brain does that has nothing to do with recognising which word is wrong or being able to calculate the speed of trains.

I agree completely. I mean, IQ test scores have increased drastically since their use began. I was reading an article about it - apparently that sort of logic is embedded in our culture somehow. It's not universal at all (not like the MBTI :))