• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensor Bias at MBTIc

redacted

This sounds pretty self-serving to me, I must say. Wouldn't it be possible that there is no pattern whatsoever, and an intuitive sees one that isn't there, whereas a sensor would in fact be more accurate just determining the accuracy/validity of the information? Wouldn't that be more "intelligent" than a mental process that was flawed to begin with? I don't think that your assertion that intuition correlates with intelligence holds water.

you're only saying that because you think you're an S. i think you're an ENFP.

and of course N functions are correlated to intelligence. if you use no N functions, you never broaden your context or try to see other viewpoints. Ss that are smart are smart because they use N functions.

if you're facing a problem and you can't come up with a solution, you gotta use N functions. otherwise you'll beat your head against a wall forever. EVERYONE uses N functions. Ns just use them more often than Ss.

(i'm gonna get attacked for this)

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
My 2 cents:

I try to remember that the MBTI is normative and according to the theory behind it, using it ethically means avoiding bias against other types.

I also acknowledge that, the outside world seems to have been created and perpetuated by Sensors (at least in US culture), and thus appears to welcome and reward that function more. Statistics may or may not support that, and it's still just my opinion.

So maybe some or many of us iNtuitive types rightly or wrongly see this and other similar forums as a refuge from the larger world, as a place where we can grouse or vent about life "out there" or just enjoy the company of others like us. The majority of types I come into contact on a daily basis IRL (yes I'm guesstimating) are Sensors; so this is a refreshing break from that.

For those of you who are old enough to remember what life was like for iNtuitives *before* the internet, you can appreciate as I do what it has to offer. Indeed, I have a theory that, while it may not have been intended to be, the internet has become a godsend for Introverted Intuitives. It fits us like a glove and has given us our very own alternate, but no less real, world of our own. But that's another topic.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
you're only saying that because you think you're an S. i think you're an ENFP.

and of course N functions are correlated to intelligence. if you use no N functions, you never broaden your context or try to see other viewpoints. Ss that are smart are smart because they use N functions.

if you're facing a problem and you can't come up with a solution, you gotta use N functions. otherwise you'll beat your head against a wall forever. EVERYONE uses N functions. Ns just use them more often than Ss.

(i'm gonna get attacked for this)

Even by me.

I'm not convinced that intuition is the same as intelligence.

I will say that it's correlated. Perhaps intelligence causes intuition. Maybe there's another factor that can cause high intuition, and can cause high intelligence, and usually causes them both together.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
N is correlated with the traditional view of intelligence, because use of N functions is how we traditionally *define* intelligence, as in IQ.

So saying that Ns are generally more intelligent is just saying that Ns use the N functions more often and better. Well, duh :rolleyes:

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
I have better things to do with my time than to play internet Ghandi. If you're biased it's your problem, not mine. But it's ridiculous to say there's no bias against sensors.

It's no coincidence that I'm just about the only sensor responding to this. The grandstanding, the obliviousness, and the bias here is just nauseating. I'm not saying everyone here is like that cause I wouldn't have even bothered joining... but having an N under your name does not make you a beautiful and unique snowflake. A number of people haven't realized this yet.

redacted

Even by me.

I'm not convinced that intuition is the same as intelligence.

I will say that it's correlated. Perhaps intelligence causes intuition. Maybe there's another factor that can cause high intuition, and can cause high intelligence, and usually causes them both together.

i never said intuition is the same as intelligence.

i just mean that you can't be very intelligent without using N functions.

intelligence requires thinking outside the box.

redacted

i'm definitely biased.

but i must say, i respect the Ss here more than a lot of the Ns. that's because i'd say 30%+ of the "N"s are Ss.

i've written off a lot of people here; i like never even read their posts. and they're pretty much all "N"s.

what i consciously try to get myself to do (with the people i haven't written off) is forget about their type (disposition) and respond to the content of their post. i don't know how good i am at this, but i try.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

I don't think so.

Creativity requires thinking outside the box. Analysis, something ISTPs are ordinarily good at, fits right in there.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
N is correlated with the traditional view of intelligence, because use of N functions is how we traditionally *define* intelligence, as in IQ.

So saying that Ns are generally more intelligent is just saying that Ns use the N functions more often and better. Well, duh :rolleyes:

And yet everyone was arguing with me.

redacted

I don't think so.

Creativity requires thinking outside the box. Analysis, something ISTPs are ordinarily good at, fits right in there.

yeah, and if they get stuck, they use Ni.

Ti and Se can only get so far.

just like Ni and Fe can only get so far, or Ne and Ti or whatever.

i'm not saying you have to be an N to be smart. but you DO have to use N functions. and T functions.

plus, isn't problem solving a creative process?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
What definition of cognition are you using, exactly? Just wondering.
No, you're just wandering. Talk about not furthering the discussion.

Explain to me the relevance of the question before I answer it.

Stop assuming you know what I'm doing or not doing.
So... I'm not allowed to observe your posting behavior and then reiterate it?
It only makes you look like a jerk and doesn't further the discussion in any way.
Well if we're going to get on about furthering the discussion then I'd probably have to ask you to stop posting, because it's quite clear to me, at this point, (and I'm positive you're going to deny this) that you go out of your way to trash my points, regardless of what they are.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
And yet everyone was arguing with me.
Not me :huh: Not on *that* point. I mean, I agree that iNtuitives are generally more intelligent. I'm just pointing out the fact that this is so simply because the definition of "intelligence" is tweaked in our favour. So really, it doesn't mean much, if anything.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah, and if they get stuck, they use Ni.
Ti and Se can only get so far.
Or they give up. It's not all about problem solving though.
i'm not saying you have to be an N to be smart. but you DO have to use N functions. and T functions.
Then you're saying that intuition, regardless of preference, is the same as intelligence, and I'm saying that's not necessarily true.

plus, isn't problem solving a creative process?
Doesn't have to be. Using a unique solution to a problem is creative, but problem solving in and of itself isn't inherently creative.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Explain to me the relevance of the question before I answer it.
You can't see it :shock: ?

So... I'm not allowed to observe your posting behavior and then reiterate it?
Yes you are. What you are not allowed to do is observe my posting behaviour and pretend to know what or how I'm thinking based on it. You only see what I'm posting, you do not know what goes on in my head to get me to post this.

Well if we're going to get on about furthering the discussion then I'd probably have to ask you to stop posting, because it's quite clear to me, at this point, (and I'm positive you're going to deny this) that you go out of your way to trash my points, regardless of what they are.
Considering that I just actually supported you on another point, this is obviously untrue :rolleyes:

But I don't care, really. I don't want to talk with you anymore anyway. And no, don't try and tell me that you know WHY, because you don't.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
The grandstanding, the obliviousness, and the bias here is just nauseating. I'm not saying everyone here is like that cause I wouldn't have even bothered joining... but having an N under your name does not make you a beautiful and unique snowflake. A number of people haven't realized this yet.
Agree.

...It's a smugness that no one sees what you see and very few people understand the world in the way you understand it. I'm not saying that I am correctly interpreting things, it's just what it seems like to me. For example whenever there's a hot thread about any of the Big Topics (Religion, Sex/Sexuality, Politics, etc.), I find there's a didactic and pompous air that's wrapped in pseudo open mindedness. Maybe I'm just dull or something, I don't know, it seems like so few people approach a topic humbly...
Agree.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
You can't see it :shock: ?
Nice try, but this deflection won't work. If you want an answer to the question, then give me a reason to answer it.

Yes you are. What you are not allowed to do is observe my posting behaviour and pretend to know what or how I'm thinking based on it. You only see what I'm posting, you do not know what goes on in my head to get me to post this.
I didn't.

Considering that I just actually supported you on another point, this is obviously untrue :rolleyes:
Interesting that you did so directly after I made the post you quoted above.

But I don't care, really. I don't want to talk with you anymore anyway. And no, don't try and tell me that you know WHY, because you don't.
Oh I get it! You know what I'm thinking enough that you can predict what I'm going to do next, but I can't know what you're thinking.

Silly cat, tricks are for rabbits.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
If sensors are seen as undesirable, then the people that come to this forum will subconsciously (or perhaps even consciously) try to associate themself with what is desirable--N. So, you will have not only a greater amount of Sensing "Intuitives", but you will encourage this:

dissonance said:

Edahn: As someone of authority, you have an opinion that carries a lot of weight, so you might want to consider the consequences of saying something like, Sensors? :sick: whether it be in jest or not.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The thing that has always seemed . . . off, I guess, about the ESTP thing has nothing to do with intelligence. It has had to do with interests. Your interests have always seemed very theoretical and academic for a sensor to me.

I know some brilliant sensors, among them one of my sons. He's still only eleven, so I'm not certain about his type, but he has no problem with his schoolwork. His classmates call him 'The Human Calculator.' But he is not the least bit interested in anything educational outside the classroom.

An ES living in a houseful of INs shows a bit of a contrast. The other kids, for instance, watch documentaries for fun. They don't all watch the same ones, but they all do choose to watch them and would watch them over, say, SpongeBob or Hannah Montana half the time. One of the INs always wants to google stuff about animals and machines. The other two are always reading fan-fic. My ES only looks up cheat codes for video games. He is every bit as smart if not smarter than his IN siblings, but his interests are not intuitive at all.

I've noticed the same pattern with my oldest daughter's brilliant ESFP friend. Doesn't break a sweat with advanced classes. Couldn't care less about any of it outside of school.

This is why I was scratching my head when I've read some of your highly informed posts on economics, for instance. It's the kind of stuff my INTP husband is interested in and spends his free time learning about for fun.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Interesting that you did so directly after I made the post you quoted above.
Oh really? You posted the post I quoted above at 9:05 pm (my time). I posted my first post in your favour about intelligence being directly related to iNtuition at 8:40 pm. You can check.

Edited

Last edited: