• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensor Bias at MBTIc

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As you all know, I joined this site as a Sensor and have been one for somewhere around 5 months now.

Am I a Sensor? No. I've tested as an ENTP since I first took the test in high school :)

I'd lurked on this site for a bit before joining it and had noticed a bias against Sensors- the idea that they are generally less intelligent, less interesting and in general probably worse people than Ns are. This annoyed me, since a good number of my friends and family members are Sensors, so I joined the site as a Sensor just to see what would happen. I played up my Se (lucky for me it isn't weak) and downplayed my Ne in order to fit the image and jumped right in. After a while, people started to be a bit nicer about Sensors, and aknowledge that sometimes they aren't idiots. It was kind of fun to play a different part for a while :devil:

I'm still the same person, anything not related to my type that I've said has been true.

I still sense some bias against Sensors around here- nobody seems to want to be one for instance- so can you please tell me why? :huh: Would you have acted any differently towards me if I had joined as an ENTP?

people were catching onto me so I had to come out of the closet

Mod note: Please reserve this thread for discussion about bias. You can leave personal comments for whatever here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I still sense some bias against Sensors around here- nobody seems to want to be one for instance- so can you please tell me why?

Not wanting to be a sensor isn't necessarily indicative of a bias against them. The majority of this board's members are intuitives; we've grown accustomed to it. We're used to who we are. Why would we want to change that?

If some odd nature of fairy gave me the opportunity to become an extravert, I would decline. Do I dislike extraverts? Of course not. Extraversion has a host of associated positive qualities that introversion lacks. I've just grown into this personality, is all.

While I appreciate the sentiment behind this experiment, I think it would have likely been more effective to quote specific examples of the bias you claim exists and call upon the posters to explain themselves and/or their actions.

Demonstrations tend not to convert the unconverted.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
;) I prefer not to call people out on anything... there are plenty of examples if you look though.

And some people seem rather sensorish but deny it vehemently every time anyone suggests it- is it THAT horrible of a thing to suggest?

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
;) I prefer not to call people out on anything... there are plenty of examples if you look though.

And some people seem rather sensorish but deny it vehemently every time anyone suggests it- is it THAT horrible of a thing to suggest?

Again, the quotation of specific examples would be necessary to make a judgement. There are a host of other reasons why a member may object to the accusation of personal mistyping.

One example that comes immediately to mind is INTJMom; she obviously has no problem with sensors, it's just that she put a lot of thought and effort into determining her type and gets understandably irked when people trivialize that with their baseless accusations.

I will point out, though, that your broad accusation sans supporting evidence is quite N ;)

S

sammy

I still sense some bias against Sensors around here- nobody seems to want to be one for instance- so can you please tell me why? :huh: Would you have acted any differently towards me if I had joined as an ENTP?
I sense it at times as well. But it's not as bad as I've seen it can get, granted, I have not been on this forum for long. But I have seen how people get automatic respect from others on typology forums when they are iNtuitive, which is why I wished to remain ambiguous about what I am for a while. I understand your desire for this experiment. :yes:

If you had listed yourself as an ENTP from the start, I think I might have continued to respond to you the way I have been because I wasn't exactly honest about my type either for similar reasons to your own pretending to be ESTP. Either way, I think you seem to be more balanced on that dang S/N scale based on what I've read in your posts. I view this as a very strategic way of being ;)

As for why people don't wish to be sensors? I think that has to do with the fact that many perceived ills towards iNtuitives has been done by sensors, at least in their own estimation (how many iNtuitives admit that a fellow iNtuitive misunderstands them more than sensors? I will admit that it's been fellow N's in my real life who have misunderstood me the most in the past few months, for instance).
people were catching onto me so I had to come out of the closet
:laugh:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Welcome to the club, sister. :cheers:

Now bow down now and claim Machiavelli as your patron saint.

(If you haven't already).

Ok, anybody else outting? The change in letters in folks here are scaring the subcockles of my heart. I thought I knew everyone, now I find I don't. *weeps*

Meh! How come nobody ever questioned my type!!!

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think you're an F. :D

Ask a rhetorical question and I get answered. :D So I guess I can start another thread to ask why F, in order not to derail whatever (sisttteerrrr!) thread. :rofl1:

You're a madmin now huh, congrats to you and zergling. Wasn't online much so didn't say it.

Edit: Not nocap, Zergling. Thanks Dana. :D

Last edited:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So... you're sure you're an ENTP?

Well, I'm not angry. Honestly, if I were an S, I'd probably have lied in the other direction in order to fit in and avoid reproach (which shows what my priorities are, I guess) :blush:. I mean, there's a ridiculous number of xNTP's here claiming that they're mistreated by xSFJ parents/spouses. I really think a lot of them are just assuming that if their parents understand them so little, they must be the opposite type.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
As you all know, I joined this site as a Sensor and have been one for somewhere around 5 months now.

Am I a Sensor? No. I've tested as an ENTP since I first took the test in high school :)
Meeeh! Don't do that :steam: !! Do you realise that some of us can't help but look at people of an "exotic" type to try and get a feel of what that type in general is like? Here I was trying to get an understanding of what ESTPs might be like based on you, and bam, turns out you were never an ESTP to begin with :doh: !? Heah hurts :cry:

But I still love ya :hug: And I admire you for having the nerve to pull something like that :devil:

I'd lurked on this site for a bit before joining it and had noticed a bias against Sensors- the idea that they are generally less intelligent, less interesting and in general probably worse people than Ns are.
I've noticed that too, and I don't understand it.

I had a funny revelation recently. I decided to finally write that fanfic I'd been thinking about for a long while. The heroes are 4 guys, and one evening I figured, "hey, let's type them!" 2 of them (my two "least favourite" ones, if you could call them that, but that's only because I so absolutely love the other two - see what I mean?) are clearly Sensors (ESFP and ISTP). My most favourite guy turned out, to my great surprise, to most probably be an INFJ :shock: But his brother was the most interesting one to type. I just couldn't nail him down. He's so adaptable and easy-going, I figured he just had to be Ne, but no Ne-type worked, not even close. And then I realised I had been engaging in Sensor-ism. Turns out he's not Ne at all: he's Se! ISFP, I'm pretty sure. Which means my guys are 3 Sensors and one iNtuitive. And you know what? I think I love them even more now that I've realised that ;)

I still sense some bias against Sensors around here- nobody seems to want to be one for instance- so can you please tell me why? :huh:
Ideally, I'd want to be an ESFJ ;) Or else an Se-type.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Drat! You just reinforced my bias which I'm trying not to have. :doh: Assuming you're not lying now. :thelook:

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
On: bias and the state of this message board

For as long as I've been a member of this message board, there has been the constant murmur of a "bias toward sensors". Figurative fists are shaken in the non-direction of a nebulous "they" that look would look down upon sensors, yet no specific examples are ever cited. Rather than the sneering hate-mongers often alluded to but never nailed down with concrete example, I see the MBTI equivalent of limousine liberals who act as though sensors are helpless retarded children who need to be defended and protected.

That was tolerable; humans, being humans, have always and will always enjoy basking in the tender warmth of their own magnanimity. However, the arrival of posters whose entire MO is to "edify" the rest of us, be it through the use of passive aggression or, most recently, good-old-fashioned deception, is more than enough. I come to this board to discuss MBTI and to participate in discussion with people who will understand what I mean when I throw in some MBTI lingo. Not to be patronized and sermonized.

If someone is displaying a bias, confront them with it. Right there in the thread. For everyone to see. For the rest of your fellow posters:

Spare them the lessons.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
For as long as I've been a member of this message board, there has been the constant murmur of a "bias toward sensors". Figurative fists are shaken in the non-direction of a nebulous "they" that look would look down upon sensors, yet no specific examples are ever cited.
INtuitives wouldn't remember specific examples, but they would remember tendencies ;)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I live among sensors and my Mother is an ISFJ and if given the choice I'd pack them all up and ship them to an island the size of a country just to be free from them and their short sighted views and stuffy stick up the ass demeanor. :smile:

Example(s)- My Mother constantly goes on about how when she was my age she never "thought" that far ahead. Well she wouldn't because she's a sensor and is now panicking and agonizing over how she will now afford the lifestyle she's accustomed to given her now situation (wealthy parents no longer living and no SO).

I'll have to post more examples later.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Do we need examples? The bias is so obvious. Myself I am biased as hell. Is it a problem? I am not so sure, but if we want sensors on this site, then it is. Those who don't believe there is a bias, maybe you should ask some of the sensors on this page? You know, you don't ask the bullies if they are bullying, you ask those being bullied if they are being bullied.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
You know, you don't ask the bullies if they are bullying, you ask those being bullied if they are being bullied.

I can't say I'm biased as I haven't paid attention except in three cases. They were so ridiculously offensive and vile that I looked at the type. I came in here neutral, not knowing a thing about anyone's type but my own and, then, not that much about it. But, I have to say, yes, I was definitely bullied by "SJs". But then there's also an "N" that does pretty much the same thing and they seem to hang together. So, there you go.

After that experience and when I found out Whatever was not an "S," (the only other "S" I had noticed)... I really began wondering about the "S" thing. She didn't bully. At any rate, I'm going to be watching type... thing is alot don't put them on their profiles.... but I'm kinda getting a sense of sensors.:D

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I'd have to say that the most interesting part of the 'social experiment' is happening now and over the next few weeks. I've found it interesting to watch how people have reacted to your manipulation. I'm curious though why you went from ISTP to ESTP? Did you not get enough of the 'bias' as an ISTP?