• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does perception control behaviour?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is there a biology of perception and does perception control behaviour?

And are genes controlling biology false? When a gene product is needed, a signal from its environment, not an emergent property of the gene itself, activates expression of that gene.

[youtube="wy3arcY0KlQ"]Dr Bruce Lipton[/youtube]

I post it here rather, it is a psychological and behavioural modification I thought.

Perception as
1) An act or result of perceiving
2) Awareness of environment through physical sensation

Discuss.

rav3n

Damn, do you have the rest of this lecture? While he's unnecessarily repetitive, he explains it in such a simple way, making it so easy to grasp! Wish my old profs were like him (except for the annoying repetition).

I agree that perception drives everything. In many ways, reality doesn't matter. Different people perceive the same reality in different ways. Take something simple like taste. If our perception of the taste is positive, we're going to want to repeat the experience. If it's neutral, we'll shrug and repeat the experience if it's provided to us but won't seek it out. If it's negative, we'll attempt to avoid the experience.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I haven't seen the lecture but..

I have noticed that since I lost most of my sight, I have been acting upon things around me much slower as if more cautious. I'm also less aware of people and how ideas form in my head. I'm also less aware of the future, I believe all of this can be linked to my loss of eyesight. I'm not blind but I am certainly more blind now than before. My having most things seen clearly at short hand, I will see short hand much clearer than further away. I'm not sure if this sounds like bullshit and might be psychological. It seems this way however. These are things that I have thought of but haven't really put into gear yet.

I have also noticed how my inner self is now different than from what it was when I had good eyesight. It's less concrete, as if dimveiled.
OTOH, my hearing has improved and I can make greater distinctions between sounds and understand human emotions when spoken out. Whenever I speak, my borders are more solidified but as I stop making sounds on my own, I loose the clarity. The same works for other humans around me.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol im def not wathcing that video. All i can say is that perception is limited to knowledge and also the extent to which you can think clearly without words but concepts and the extent on which your confusion emotions stop you dead in your tracks.