• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Talking about functions like they are people

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've noticed a lot of this on the forum, and I'm sure I have done it a few times too.

"When Te flares up, it causes....."

"Fi tells me....."

"Fe is horrible..."

"<Blank> happened because of Ni-Si...."

It's almost a way to speak about it in a detached or impersonal way, like it's an entity all on it's own. It's kind of insane when you think about it. lol

Last edited:

rav3n

Se and Fi get into brawls sometimes and Te has to wade in to break it up. Ni just sits back and laughs. Crazy little introverted bastard!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Te tries to run the show but Se is a big fat leeching slob who ruins everything. Fi lays in bed, praying the two will get along someday. Ni up and moved to Californee years ago. (Guess I could have made that story a bit more cheerful..)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My Fi is sooo sensitive, and Te tends to elbow in and take over even when its not wanted, but fortunately Ne knows how to get us out of scrapes, and Si just kind of chills out back listening to 80's music and watching home movies.

G

garbage

My Se got drunk, blacked out, and punched a bunch of people and got hauled off to jail

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Who has been watching me? :peepwall:

I blame the Ne! It's the crazy one here, not me... :biggrin:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Fi is a wierdo creeper who lurks around in dark alleyways occasionally jumping out into the light spouting jibberish.

Se is a smartarsed little shit that mocks everything and likes explosions and setting fire to things.

Ni is Fi's paranoid best friend who also lurks in the shadows and often drones on in the background about the impending apocalypse

Te is an old army veteran that abuses the rest of them and calls them slackers and no hopers that'll never amount to anything.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
My Fe one time told my family how they needed to think of the children

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
well i think that human mind is actually formed from parts that are like different people in one mind. but are totally unaware of each others being like different people and that only one of them can be conscious at time and when they communicate with each other. the receiving part sees the info coming in as if it were generated by that particular part of self, instead of seeing the info as something that someone else said. and that the parts are able to go from conscious to unconscious and back to conscious so fast that its impossible to notice it, and sometimes one part might use more "conscious time" working on some particular thing than other parts. and that personality forms from how much conscious time you prefer to give to particular parts of the brain and naturally from your past experiences etc.
so i think its fair to speak about different functions as if they were different persons(or different 'selves'), since those functions are basically areas of the brain(or group of brain regions) that tend to work together or form these functions when working together.

maybe the unconscious thinking/perceiving comes from not using some parts of the brain long enough or doing enough processing thinking in that thing thats being processed?

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
To me, Ni's either a version of Dr Who, or a confused strategist during war.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Talking in functions gives an instrument to talk about yourself and if you had troubles with that in the first place, now you have your chance.

Of course it can only be an instrument for so long, cause at some point you really have to understand yourself and not use functions as scapegoats to hide behind.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
well i think that human mind is actually formed from parts that are like different people in one mind. but are totally unaware of each others being like different people and that only one of them can be conscious at time and when they communicate with each other. the receiving part sees the info coming in as if it were generated by that particular part of self, instead of seeing the info as something that someone else said. and that the parts are able to go from conscious to unconscious and back to conscious so fast that its impossible to notice it, and sometimes one part might use more "conscious time" working on some particular thing than other parts. and that personality forms from how much conscious time you prefer to give to particular parts of the brain and naturally from your past experiences etc.
so i think its fair to speak about different functions as if they were different persons(or different 'selves'), since those functions are basically areas of the brain(or group of brain regions) that tend to work together or form these functions when working together.

maybe the unconscious thinking/perceiving comes from not using some parts of the brain long enough or doing enough processing thinking in that thing thats being processed?

Hmm, I had quite a similar idea some time ago, but on a greater scale: If you look at big bunches of people who identify with each other despise of great differences, like f.e. countrys, and what they do over a great period of time, the behaviour and the constellation of these bunches seem like that of single persons. So, if the "addition" of different minds can seem like one mind, maybe the minds themself are just additions?