• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Active Imagination: a question

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Dreams, If you mean "subconscious".

If you mean "unconscious", let me hit on the head with my club . I'll show you unconscious :laugh:

Not necessarily. Initially there was "the unconscious mind" (aka the unconscious), the conscious, and the subconscious. Jung also talks about the unconscious, not subconscious. But it doesn't matter.

But.

What if the subconscious is conscious during sleep, and the conscious is conscious during the awake state. What if the "unconscious" is actually an altered state of consciousness? Wouldn't it be innapropriate to call it subconscious just because we don't experience it when we're awake? What if we have a world as large as our conscious world when we're asleep?

But why would I say that?

I mean...our brain is more active (from what we've measured) when we're asleep. Which is really confusing. Wouldn't our Consciousness have priority???

These things are confusing.
And the collective unconscious is even more confusing... I read that a long time ago and didn't understand shit :laugh:

The subconscious has some practical uses...like in therapy...telling people their behavioral patterns...but seriously...we can't measure anything in it...it just seems one big web of inter connected stuff...one big blob.

In order to get a better picture of the subconscious, we need to understand sleep. Not just how it happens, but why it happens. We need to know if our minds actually store the stuff that happens throughout our lifetimes...or throws away permanently most of the stuff.

It's not the "how" that's hard to understand ...it's the why.

The reason for having a subconscious is quite obvious...it's like in windows when not all of your stuff appears as it's working...who would buy windows if you would see all the source code on the screen? It would be ineffective. You need a user friendly interface :laugh:

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Dreams, If you mean "subconscious".

If you mean "unconscious", let me hit on the head with my club . I'll show you unconscious :laugh:

Word associations are actually proof of our unconscious web.

Have you ever wondered why you prefer the word subconscious to unconscious?

It's because you associate unconscious with "hit on the head with my club", and this association isn't made in a conscious fashion. The word unconscious has a negative emotional impact, so our minds avoid anchors such as this.

It has been proven through experiments that we have a delayed reaction to words which trigger negative affects.

So, in the word association tests, there are many tricky words.

For instance "mirror".

A person who is uncomfortable with the way they look, will have a delayed response to the word mirror (seconds and milliseconds are counted)...they're supposed to give a good/bad answer.

This was Jung's research.

Freud did a similar research on how we oddly forget words or mix them up.

For instance, I know this woman who's husband died in a car accident, and we have the same name...me and him. And that woman always forgets my name, she's always calling me something else, and laughs when she does it. So, even though she associates my name with something bad, she laughs.

Our minds work in fascinating ways.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
Fifth question: is there a risk of confirmation bias when performing active imagination?