• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I want to run away!!!

do you want to run away?

• Total voters

Usehername

On a mission
I think, aside from major culture changes, location has very little to do with sameness. New v. different realtes more to the kinds of lifestyles and how you spend your mundane moments.

Why don't you shake up your mundane moments? Start coming up with a feasible gameplan where you can throw yourself into a new foreign situation where you have to adapt and grow and learn. Can you make your job part time while you try a new side job (that you've sold to your current employer as "career building skills I can bring back to the team here")?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't exactly work a job that I can work part time... and I'm not sure what I'd do differently either somehow. I'm just remembering the joy of spending time somewhere completely different where everything was unfamiliar and nobody knew me... it was just a sense of freedom to have such a blank slate and I don't have that somehow and that makes me nervous :blush:

KDude

So now I sometimes fantasize about those stories of people that go for a drive, have an accident and end up with total amnesia and live a new life for a few years before they are found.

Sounds like me. From the facts I gathered, the last time I tried to run away, I ended up with my car out of gas, hiking down the road, only to be thrown in jail, then in a hospital. And before I ran out of a gas, I played chicken against the devil himself. If you see an old Chrysler LeBaron tailing you at night, down a lonely road, know that your soul will be tested.

I'm not sure about life altering though. My parents felt bad and bought me a playstation.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your thread makes me think of these songs. I've always felt like these songs were about running or motion itself, not running from anything, just the act of running itself. Glorified, in an idealized musical form.

My mom says I like to travel because my father was a musician and she and my father were in seven of the United States early in her pregnancy with me. :laugh:

At any rate, I believe in the myth of the American highway ...Jack Kerouac, diners, hippies, et al...I also love reading Henry Miller for that reason, except he liked to run all over the world, not just the country.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1U1YFWKP-U"]1[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk"]2[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMA22Hd7J8"]3[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyLhMgB_hcE"]4[/YOUTUBE]

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not sure about life altering though. My parents felt bad and bought me a playstation.

Well, did your life have a playstation before?

For me, the thought of running away is just when I feel overwhelmed and I know it is based out of a cowardice to make changes in my life that I can't take back. Or since this is MBTICentral, it is the "p". But I am so "p", I wouldn't actually ever be able to pull the trigger to run away either.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's cowardice to not be able to run when you actually want to. It also gave me the strength to get away from an unhealthy relationship. I feel brave compared to many people I've met who say things like, "Gosh I'd like to get away from here, but..." Then again, I don't have any children.

However, in the OPs case, I think it would be wise to consider other options, though, since she actually likes her partner and home.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I agree. For the OP, is it wanderlust? Everything is going well and you just want the excitement that comes when you are thrown into a new situation?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it probably is a form of wanderlust that's been passed down patrilinially... that and the fact that most of what I read while growing up was about travel as well... I think I've doomed myself to a life of this :(

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Runnnn to somewhere warmm. it's worth it, not worth running away from.

rav3n

whatever, you need to write a note to your Se:

Dear Se,

QUIT FUCKING WITH MY HEAD!

Love,
whatever

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh yes... try having Se and Ne as your two strongest functions... I'm surprised that I haven't run off to join the circus yet! :holy:

(actually not considering my feelings towards clowns :peepwall:)

KDude

Well, did your life have a playstation before?

I think I had a Sega.

For me, the thought of running away is just when I feel overwhelmed and I know it is based out of a cowardice to make changes in my life that I can't take back. Or since this is MBTICentral, it is the "p". But I am so "p", I wouldn't actually ever be able to pull the trigger to run away either.

I know what you mean. Although I could take off fine with more anchor points. I haven't had the opportunities, but if there were friends, a company relocation, or a destination where there was at least someone to hook up with, I'd be good with that. I'm not lacking adventurousness necessarily (although I'd say that has dropped since I was younger), but I'm not good with creating entirely new social/professional situations by myself.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have a similar yet different problem myself... I avoid taking on challenges in life, because I'm terrified of boxing myself into a corner. I always want to have the option of running away, and like to set up situations so that I'll never be trapped in anything, but I rarely DO run away from anything, because I'm too afraid of running out of resources or something if I do.

Anyway, I think it's natural that you would want to run away... you've been in a situation which, while comfortable, isn't really exposing you to a lot of new experiences. Se wants out, but Ti/Fe feels like it should stick with this. I think the stability and "pillar of the community" thing actually comes more naturally to Si/Ne users.

I think that sooner or later, you'll need a change of scenery. Probably feel a need to upend your whole life... because ultimately, what you enjoy is savoring new sensations, new experiences. Perhaps you even aspire to visions of the future (inferior Ni). But none of that gives you the natural stability of an Si user. You'll always be restless inside. Even I am, really, with my inferior Se... I just don't usually let myself act on it, and content myself with fantasies of how things could be.

However, the question... should you run away? Well, only if you're ready. You have a good thing, but a good thing can turn into a nightmare if you let it. Something good can start to feel stagnant and dead, which corrupts it. Ideally, it would be best to try and work in as many of the things you want to do into your life, without having to change your situation too radically. If there is a way that you can have both stability and the variety that you crave, that would be ideal for you. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a lot of money, and own several homes all around the world, that you could just go and visit any time that you pleased? That's not realistic for you (or most people), but it certainly is a nice thing to think about.

Anyway... I'll just leave you with two songs that popped into my head:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx26NQemy6E"]Leave no deed undone[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3UGbFtNVbA"]Escapist[/YOUTUBE]

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I want to run away but to what? I feel like it would lead to a whole slew of problems I am not equipped for. Road trips help.

Lien

we could be drunk ghosts.. not a "real" joy

ever since i was a little girl, all i wanted to do was run away, too.

to a place no one knew me. i wanted to disappear, gracefully. i wanted to be forgotten until i was only a warm, fuzzy feeling. i didn't want anyone to notice.

i wanted to keep running. running, running, running, until i dropped from tiredness. living in the present everyday, living boldly, exhilaratingly, i didn't need tomorrow.

on a great big hill, full of my new treasures, i've got it made. how come i want to run for the hills? and keep starting over.

but why do i want to scream, until my lungs burst? why do i want to cry?
please help me.
because if i'm quiet for just one moment, i would go crazy. there is no peace or stability inside me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
JUST DO IT.

Jesus fuck, how do you people live this way?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Time for a holiday. In fact, you might be the type that enjoys having an adventure to look forward to every year. And every year something different. It doesn't sound like you are actually running away from things, but that you just need some action and excitement to feel fulfilled. So go hiking, camping, do a walking marathon, something that fits into your perfect life while taking care of your 'wild child' on the inside. It makes you a 'reliable member of the community' while giving yourself what you know you need ;)

Something tells me your SO will understand and gladly accommodate it, as he gets to see you blossom and enjoy yourself.

Go and experience something. Something new, something unknown. Your body's screaming for it.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always sucked at routines, so you're probably onto something there Satine :laugh:

we do have a weekend vacation planned for 2 weeks from now, which the man is ferociously planning... and we're going on a 4 day vacation out of the country at the end of May. We both enjoy a lot of little vacations but neither of us have had any time to travel lately, so we've been here and busy instead. Staying in one place is EVIL :thelook:

When I was younger I so wanted to join the Peace Corps or something of that sort, but my parents told me that before I could do anything of that sort I had to go to college since nowhere was willing to postpone my scholarship. Unfortunatly, the man does not have the same desire to travel to undeveloped parts of the world as I do, so I'll eventually have to find somewhere with a resort nearby to stash him at and then flee to the less desirable parts of the area :laugh:

routine really drives me up the walls though :peepwall:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
haha that reminds me of when my parents travel, my mom just stashes my dad at some bar than she goes out exploring.