• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suicide and type

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yay generalized mbti!
I can only go off of the varied people i've met, but the majority that were depressed and suicidal were INFPs. I can only assume that it's an idealism vs world vs self thing that can be grown out of over time and experience.
The same can be said for most types though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This thread makes me angry.

I've known several people who committed suicide.

I think they were ESFJ, ISxP, and I couldn't type the third, my bff's mother.

There isn't a type that commits suicide more often. But I will say that when an ESFJ blows their head off there's such an incredible number of shocked people at the funeral that there isn't room to sit down.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
There isn't a type that commits suicide more often.

Well we know the suicide rate is unlikely to be perfectly even between all the 16 types. There are going to be some trends, however mild or significant.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well we know the suicide rate is unlikely to be perfectly even between all the 16 types. There are going to be some trends, however mild or significant.

Does it make you feel safe to rationalize death?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not safe really, but there's a certain soothingness to it.

I get that feeling about Ts a lot and their need for rational "control."

It's all an illusion.

wolfy

awsm
I think any type could have the tendency. I do think that in certain environments certain types could be pulled from being themselves and towards suicide. So you could find certain types in certain cultures, certain environments, patterns there. But realistically it would be too messy to measure and be of any use.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, you don't have to be depressed to commit suicide.

Wow, necropost.

But you're right of course.

I don't remember if at this point I was erroneously assuming suicides start from depresson or whether I was just going off on a tangent about depressives.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I have no problems with the stats but rather the conclusions drawn from them.

Assuming,
a) Type ABCD kicks their own bucket more than other types
b) Depressed people tend to kick their own bucket more than others (iffy as Morgan pointed out above)

It is too easy then to make a generalization like "Oh, then type ABCD must have a tendency to be depressed"

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I would think that NFs would be more likely to attempt...but every NT I know has either suffered from depression or is currently struggling with such. Suicide is an 'out' for some of them, an out from their thoughts that can be crippling at time.

An INTJ I know is often consumed by their depression, and often talks of suicide. Although that person thinks of it as a pathetic act, I can tell that person longs for death. It's a horrible thing.

himynameisdead

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
9w8
Suicide Ideation and Personality Characteristics Among Gifted Adolescents — Gifted Child Quarterly

Abstract
This study describes psychological characteristics of gifted adolescents. It also identifies the relationships between psychological personality types and suicide ideation. Participants in the study were 152 juniors enrolled in a public residential high school for academically gifted students. The Suicide Ideation Questionnaire, a 30-item self-report measure, was used to assess adolescent levels of suicide ideation. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI; Myers, 1962), a widely used measure of psychological type that contrasts four dimensions of personality—extra-version (E)/introversion (I), sensing (S)/intuition (N), thinking (T)/feeling (F), and judging (J)/perceiving (P)—was used to determine personality types of the students.

The results indicated that gifted adolescents did not exhibit heightened rates of suicide ideation as compared to their nongifted peers. However, female students held higher levels of suicide ideation than male students. Female students exhibiting introversion-perceiving (IP) types held higher levels of suicide ideation than those with other types. There was a significant between-groups effect for the judging-perceiving analysis. Students identified as perceiving personality types held higher levels of suicide ideation than those with the judging personality type. Gender, judging/perceiving, and extraversion/introversion combined to reliably predict approximately 18% of the variance in suicide ideation in this sample.

that's ideation, though. correct me if I'm mistaken, but aren't judging types more likely to actually follow though with plans? also, I've attempted suicide multiple times.. and I know it's one think to think about it, and a whole other things to actually attempt with sincerity.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I agree that any type is susceptible to seriously considering suicide, along with the variations of environments, health of a person, and expectations put upon them. However, those can affect any type differently as well as the same type.

G

Ginkgo

Is there a type that is more inclined to be suicidal/commit suicide?

What about just depressed? Just a question out of curiosity.

I don't know, but I'm sure rainy Seattle sure has plenty. :dry:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Thought about it.

Have the tools to do it (am a gun owner).

But ultimately, my life is too sweet to let anyone else try and live it!

G

Ginkgo

Even if one type was shown to commit suicide more often than the others by statistical evidence, that doesn't mean an individual of that type is more likely to commit suicide.

:dry:

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I recently read an article that claimed that depression is linked to thinking (philosophy) too much. Apparently people who are more "here and now," and don't think about the bigger issues, like the meaning of life tend to me more happy. So I would think that being an N would definitely predispose you to more depression.

Also, F's suffer more, I think. T's tend to say things that hurt the F's feelings.

So I would guess NF

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recently read an article that claimed that depression is linked to thinking (philosophy) too much. Apparently people who are more "here and now," and don't think about the bigger issues, like the meaning of life tend to me more happy. So I would think that being an N would definitely predispose you to more depression.

Also, F's suffer more, I think. T's tend to say things that hurt the F's feelings.

So I would guess NF
They balance it out by doing less thinking, it seems.