• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and how we learn

Sunny Ghost

I've been thinking lately, about how different functions are used when we are learning something. Take reading a book... which functions do we activate when we are engaged in learning about various topics while reading?

For me personally, I can very much see that as I read, I'm looking for values, morals and weighing them out. But what about an INTJ? Do they use Ni while reading? And if so, how does this work?

I wondered this because my INTJ roommate said that when he reads he's often just reading through and doesn't sit to comprehend or make sense of it until he is finished. Once he is finished, he prefers to sit and discuss it, and therefore make use of Te to actually make sense of what he's read. It is in his use of Te that he is actually gaining ideas and making his thoughts.

So what about other functions? Ne/Fi or vice versa... Si/Fe, Ti/Ne, etc, etc.

I know for me, to sit and discuss a book after the fact will often make me feel as though I didn't learn anything at all, as Te is my weakest point.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Let's see...

Ne learns by playing with concepts, for me I like toying with ideas, tangent ideas ad nausum. Becuase my Ne is so active I prefer learning by symbols, pictures, and TV, especially concerning theory or stuff similar to that.

Fi filters what's of personal value to me (all else is thrown into the Si mess bin), it interprets truths that I like, ignores or discredits the ones I don't like, gives me certain ideals to hold.

Te, although used a little less often, hammers out the logical inconsitsncy of the things that I learn; unreliable data, flaws in logic, weakness of proof, etc. It trims away the useless information that isn't worth consideration.

Si learn by accumalation of facts, it intakes random bits of information and stores them away for later, albeit this is sorta messy and scattered information for me.

Well this is just how my functions learn anyway.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
yes different mbti types have different learning styles. im pretty sure you can find some studies if you google

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Things I came across on it:

Extraverts learn by explaining
Introverts learn by chunking info together.. they need to be shown how to chunk, group, inter connect knowledge.

Intuitives learn by a 'discovery method' or 'why method' that allows them to link patterns and relations (theory)
Sensors learn with organized, linear, structured lectures.

Thinkers learn with precise, action oriented, objective topics, that do not have vague expressions
Feelers learn with groups and by focusing on human values and needs. harmonious environment, persuasion, harmonious surroundings.

Judgers use speedwriting, split page, color coding, reverse question
Perceivers are always searching for input to the answers and do better if they categorize, sub categorize, and do various sub assignments that gets feedback from teacher before completing a full project

Sunny Ghost

but what about an introvert with Te aux? they still learn best by bouncing ideas back and forth, correct?

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
but what about an introvert with Te aux? they still learn best by bouncing ideas back and forth, correct?

Yes. After a day's worth of lectures, labs, etc...I relax on the train back, and after dinner, go for a walk in the backyard, speaking aloud to myself about the things I've learnt during the day. In the process, I 'see' some connections to the other things I've remembered, so the information is retained for future use.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
When I read, I look for what can be implied from what I'm, reading and what it means. I guess this is Ni, but I'm, not sure.

OP, if you were to read an article on the crisis in Libya, would your reaction be primarily about how you feel morally about the event? That would be Fi, right? What would be examples of other functions reacting to the same article? I know as a (probably) INTJ (Ni-dom,) I'm thinking about how this event will influence the world and what this means for both the Arab world and humanity as a whole. A Ti-dom would I guess try to make a conclusion about the event; i.e. it will cause the collapse of dictatorship in the world completely or something like that.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
When I read, I look for what can be implied from what I'm, reading and what it means. I guess this is Ni, but I'm, not sure.

OP, if you were to read an article on the crisis in Libya, would your reaction be primarily about how you feel morally about the event? That would be Fi, right? What would be examples of other functions reacting to the same article? I know as a (probably) INTJ (Ni-dom,) I'm thinking about how this event will influence the world and what this means for both the Arab world and humanity as a whole. A Ti-dom would I guess try to make a conclusion about the event; i.e. it will cause the collapse of dictatorship in the world completely or something like that.

its not that simple, you cant put all responses to functions. and thats not Fi, Ti also has strong moral values, but while Fi is making these moral values based on evaluating of how you feel about it and empathizing others, moral values of Ti on the other hand are produces by sense of justice and that justice is determined on logical matters. its like Fi morality looks if its right or not while making the judgment on if its right or not without logical evaluation, but doing it based on gut feelings etc. while Ti makes that judgment based more on logic, like if you kill someone, its logical that you must suffer because of it. but thats not all, Ti users have pretty unconscious Fe helping to make the decision and Fi users have pretty unconscious Te.

Sunny Ghost

Yes! This is precisely where I was trying to go with my original thread. Just wasn't sure how to pose it. I suppose it's something that all of us who study mbti know... but I was focusing in on how each dominant function works when looking at the same picture.

EDIT: maybe not precisely where i was trying to go with this thread, but definitely up there in my thoughts.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I don't read many words, I skim at best (poor attention span, my mind wanders). But if there are diagrams/tables/graphs/etc I can usually pick up what they mean on first glance. Then I skim the text. I find it easier to fill in the gaps from the text, if I already know what it's about first, by looking at the image. I guess I zoom in rather than out, going from general to specific, honing in on the things I am most interested in (or things I think are important). This is probably related to efficiency, because it makes sense to go towards what is the most valuable, rather than read everything lol. But whatever I'm reading, I sometimes realize as I'm reading it, that it's related to some other thing in some other course or something I read online... or w/e. Most of the time that relation is still useless information, though. It's just interesting. Strangely enough, I don't seem to do much of the Fi morals thing you mentioned, though I think I see what you mean. I tend to learn well by discussing things also... though it's not necessarily the "best" way.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
To me learning is like this: imagine an electrical circuit like this:
image012.gif

First of all, all parts and connections are grey. Then when I learn they lighten up which means I am aware of them or understood their function, then more and more lighten up and this can happen randomly or in sequence. Basically I need to understand the function of the whole thing at the beginning tho, that is the most crucial thing. If I havent understood the big picture function, nor have intrest in the topic, I am pretty blocked out from understanding it. So it's either all in detail / or none at all.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I am basically the same.

I wondered this because my INTJ roommate said that when he reads he's often just reading through and doesn't sit to comprehend or make sense of it until he is finished. Once he is finished, he prefers to sit and discuss it, and therefore make use of Te to actually make sense of what he's read. It is in his use of Te that he is actually gaining ideas and making his thoughts.

The INTJ I know likes to talk about everything he read. At times, he'll talk about what he is reading while he is if I am around.