• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's it like to be a Thinker?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Since we have one for Feelers, I thought it's only fair to do the reverse.

So what's it like to be a Thinker? What goes on while you're making a decision? I refuse to believe there's nothing there. You can prove me wrong though. I'm here to be enlightened. :yes:

Modifying Tallulah's set of questions:

1) What goes on in your mind when you're thinking? How would you describe it?
2) How much does logics weight in on your decisions and how much does feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked?
3) How easily can you go through the steps you've taken to arrive at a conclusion? Is it automatic? Or does it involve some translation to get it into a form understandable by others?
4) Anything else you feel like sharing.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I Intuit that they Think more than they Feel...

As for your questions, I'll have to get back to you on that...I'm very scattered this evening.

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
It's AWESOME!

1) What goes on in your mind when you're thinking? How would you describe it? Like watching the swirling debris in a tornado, and each little bit of debris is information and you have to snatch out the pertinent bits without being distracted by the chaos.

2) How much does logics weight in on your decisions and how much does feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked? %95 logic and facts %5 feeling and emotions that I don't listen to or trust anyway. No such thing as over-thinking, there is always more and it would be like trying to stop the tornado with my bare hands, which would be pretty cool!

3) How easily can you go through the steps you've taken to arrive at a conclusion? Is it automatic? Or does it involve some translation to get it into a form understandable by others? For me to understand it it is usually automatic, some things are more complex and involve more thinking of course, explaining it to someone who doesn't process similarly? Time consuming and frustrating usually.

4) Anything else you feel like sharing. I don't like sharing

nemo

Enneagram
<3

Have you ever taken a paint brush and splattered paint against a wall? It's sort of like that. Many ideas just splattering everywhere while I frantically try to build the connections between them. They light up like fireflies in my mind. If the process runs smoothly, I become very animated and excited; if it's not, I close down and look for a thicker paint brush (so to speak).

2) How much does logic weigh in on your decisions and how much do feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked?

I sort of don't understand the premise of this question. If I use logic to conclude something or come to a decision -- why bother with my feelings about it? The logic can be demonstrated to be correct. Whether or not I personally find it agreeable or not is beside the point -- if I don't like it, too bad; it's logically right.

If the decision turns out to be arbitrary, then I'll probably use me feelings on it, because then it doesn't really matter.

As to over-thinking: When I start running in circles and come up with nothing significant or new. Then I know it's time to harvest more data to play with.

3) How easily can you go through the steps you've taken to arrive at a conclusion? Is it automatic? Or does it involve some translation to get it into a form understandable by others?

My thinking is very visual/symbolic/nonverbal so there's a definite translation process, however I've become pretty good at communicating my thought processes (or at least I think I have) to most people.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Nothing spectacular, simply progression from one thought to another, although certainly not in a structured way. I think with words, so it's like there's always a silent conversation going on in my head. Sometimes there's multiple voices, arguing different points of view (but they're always controlled, I don't have schizophrenia or anything).

2) How much does logics weight in on your decisions and how much does feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked?
I use logical though processes do determine what would be best for my feelings, but I try not to let the actual feelings take much of a role in my decision making. However, they do tend to do so, and when I'd profit more from studying or something, I let my feelings of laziness take over and I decide to procrastinate instead.

There's a lot of stuff I just know and understand, so in my thought processes, I usually skip around quite a bit and don't go over every step. So when I communicate my ideas to others, I have trouble remembering to fill in the stuff that I already understood.

Yes. That red dancing smiley with the sunglasses really sucks, and I want it off my screen.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

My brain is always "on," and it's like constant background noise. I'm always processing something, even if it's on the back burner while I'm doing something else. I'm usually trying to solve a problem or figure out how I could get better at something. Sometimes it seems like a little burst of inspiration, maybe? Like an epiphany will come to me, and it's a combination of a thought and a gut feeling, or a moment of clarity. If I'm watching tv, I'm probably on some level filing information away for later or figuring out if I can apply it to any current situation. I'm always on the lookout for new information. As an INTP, I'm always scanning the environment for information and clues, searching, I suppose for the ultimate truth. Whatever that is.

2) How much does logic weigh in on your decisions and how much do feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked?

Logic is EVERYTHING. I have feelings, and I take them into account. I take other people's feelings into account, as well. But ultimately, the most important thing is the thing that is the best solution and makes the most sense overall. Sometimes decisions will involve hurting people's feelings. I don't take other people's feelings on in any major way; I can't handle that. I try to do the best I can with what I have, and remain as objective as I can. I know I'm overthinking when I can actually feel my brain getting tired, and I know I'm not getting any clear solutions. Also, sometimes I'm aware that I'm clinging to logic as a way to avoid situations that make me uncomfortable.

How easily can you go through the steps you've taken to arrive at a conclusion? Is it automatic? Or does it involve some translation to get it into a form understandable by others?

Usually pretty automatic. I generally kind of backburner it and let my brain chew on it until an answer presents itself. My brain tends to organize things naturally. I try to explain things in concrete, simple terms, but when it's a thing that's hard to put into words, like this process, I feel like I'm not doing a very good job explaining. Sometimes I'm bad about not giving enough detail, b/c I assume everyone's on the same page. Probably because the conclusion seems SO logical to me, that surely everyone already arrived at the same conclusion.

I'm sure there's LOTS of stuff I'm leaving out.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I had a curious experience today. I went into HR looking for someone in particular, and I went back to the kind on enclave where all the HR people sit. I though, "Huh, Paige is looking unusually attractive today." I just kind of stood there for a few seconds staring at her. I turned my attention away to look for Christine, and only when I took a second look did I realize I was not looking at Paige. It was another girl, Dawn--who I happen to like. Dawn was just sitting in Paige's place--about two feet in front of me.:unsure:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I might say more later, too tired right now...

... One thing that sucks is when someone is hurting but I can't give them the sympathy they want. I can try to fake it but it really sounds fake, like there's no heart in it even if all the words are modeled correctly.

All I can give them authentically is a cold stupid assessment of their situation.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Not clouded by emotions. It takes more to shake us.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Since we have one for Feelers, I thought it's only fair to do the reverse.

So what's it like to be a Thinker? What goes on while you're making a decision? I refuse to believe there's nothing there. You can prove me wrong though. I'm here to be enlightened. :yes:

Modifying Tallulah's set of questions:

I think about thinking about thinking, literally. It's like I sometimes want to turn the thinking volume down.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I am afraid of my feelings.. They make me uncomfortable. They are like the mysterious creatures lurking at the bottom of the ocean.. and I am in a boat. I don't want to know what's down there.. all I need to pay attention to is how to row my boat. If I pay attention to my feelings I turn into a downward spiral and it's very bad. I learned that lesson (to avoid them) a long time ago, and life has been relatively peachy ever since.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hmmm... so thinking style is dependent on type. Eri and Nemo's seems to be more Ne focused. Like grabbing bits and pieces... connections as stuff flies around, while anon and Tallulah's are much more focused. I think I've noticed the pattern on the Feeler's thread as well... the differences between types.

For me to understand it it is usually automatic, some things are more complex and involve more thinking of course, explaining it to someone who doesn't process similarly? Time consuming and frustrating usually.
That's what I suspected. Most thinkers have a way with using words concisely. It's something I wish I can do. Being able to explain myself adequately without a ton of rambling. Usually it takes me forever to figure out what I wanted to say. I intuitively know it but it doesn't come out readily. Then there are times where I have to talk everything out, step by slow step.

Have you ever taken a paint brush and splattered paint against a wall? It's sort of like that. Many ideas just splattering everywhere while I frantically try to build the connections between them. They light up like fireflies in my mind. If the process runs smoothly, I become very animated and excited; if it's not, I close down and look for a thicker paint brush (so to speak).
I've noticed this with sub as well. Somehow Ne seems so much more energetic than Ni. Hehe!

I sort of don't understand the premise of this question. If I use logic to conclude something or come to a decision -- why bother with my feelings about it? The logic can be demonstrated to be correct. Whether or not I personally find it agreeable or not is beside the point -- if I don't like it, too bad; it's logically right.

If the decision turns out to be arbitrary, then I'll probably use me feelings on it, because then it doesn't really matter.
Well the reason I asked it is because I tend to use feelings as data. You can choose to weight it more or less in your decision. So I wonder whether logic can be like data too. But apparently not... Logic arise from the process of rational thinking. It of itself isn't "data".

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
For me, I'm constantly thinking. If there's nothing interesting, my mind will just wander to other thoughts. As for my thought process in relation to making decisions and such, I suppose feelings factor into it, but just as another factor, to be considered and then I make the logical decision. (Note, this all tends to occur semi-consciously, and in the span of a couple seconds or less).

I can't really explain it much more than that. I'd say 99% of my decisions are whichever one makes the most sense to me. (aka logic).

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP

I am never at a state of mental rest... i have a large memory of models and logical relations, over time they develop and become more accurate in and of themselves, as well as in relation to each other.

I do not really need to "think" about things like most people do. The vast majority of my processing happens subconsciously and instantaneously. Only when I need to break some serious ground do I need to pull the models into my consciousness and study them more closely for logical integrity. The fact of the matter is that I use my logical models on a day to day basis with a high degree of success, thus I dont feel the need to legitimize them in any given application they can be used for. With time, details can trickle down to prove my point, but this is most often for the benefit of others.

I am always gathering a multitude of information (and consequently discarding most of it) to add to my model. My memory can be very finicky in the sense that if I dont deem something important, i probably have very little recollection of details regarding it.

I will often have "eureka!" moments, which seem like a sudden influx of ideas, which are actually just the realization of a simple, albeit very important, relation between two already developed models. The flurry of activity that follows is often [incorrectly] interpreted as a sign of impulsive behavior.

Emotions often play zero role in my day to day decisions and logic is my god. Although I can often tell what sort of feelings someone is experiencing, that consideration is merely and element that my logic might consider. I am a fair person and I see no reason not give people the positive side of my disposition. Woe is he who confuses this as naivety. :devil:

I don't see the two as being exclusive of each other. Logic is a set of mechanics which i use for the vast majority of my day. Emotions are something that I allow to exist within the rigid frame of logic, I have a hard time seeing it any other way. Emotions are just what they are and aren't intrinsically right or wrong, solid logic is just... right, so why not go with it?

Other people respond to their emotions more than I do, and I am very understanding of that, but as soon as I think they are illogical I don't hesitate to bring out my view of things. Unfortunately, this often tends to happen in a uncomforting tone and often isn't seen as constructive. I have found that I have little patience for people who can't put themselves aside, look at things rationally, and ultimately favor logic over their emotions (for their own good)

I dont think that over analyzing is bad in and of itself, but it can lead to a handful of small conclusions that are either moot or seemingly contradictory to the bigger idea. It is often easy to lose sight of the bottom line when going into deep analysis.

I know what I know and I know what I don't know, and I don't always have the time or patience to explain the former. It's cumbersome and inefficient, and most of the time I will say "trust me or stay out of my way". If my strategic structure requires information from other people, then I will ask for it very specifically so to minimize the possibility for error on their part. They do not need to know what it is for, they just need to answer my questions.

With that said, I make a point to be as fair and considerate of others as possible. My ideal solution in anything benefits everyone as much as possible as well as equally. It would be wrong to ask others to trust me with the overarching strategy if I was going to put myself ahead of them. How much they can trust me, however, is a matter of my history with that person and many people who know my have come to trust my judgment and decision-making abilities.

I don't quite understand "thinkers" who make no consideration of emotions. They exist, both in ourselves and in others, thus they can and should play a role (albeit not a big one) in logic. They seem completely ok with this despite the fact that it usually does not allow them to get along well with others... very illogical in my opinion. :thinking:

Many people would consider me a "nice" person, despite the fact that my internal thinking is extremely unforgiving. I choose to be nice to people because it often makes them feel better and requires very little effort on my part. I try to give people the same benefit of the doubt that I need (although that becomes increasingly difficult to do with each day). I regret the times that I have to pull this approach short because someone tries to take advantage of it. People often times dont understand that I am making a choice to be friendly with them, as soon as they cross my principles then they will find that nicety pulled out from beneath them, which I'm sure can seem confusing.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ

Its hard to explain and, since I'm visual, I'll do it this way:

Its like a constantly turning kalaiedescope from which I can pluck pieces. I will, at some point, get a flash from, seemingly, nowhere and pause it to pick similar colors and/or shapes for examination... are they similar? and, if that interests me, I'll go deeper to see if they are exactly alike or if they fit together like puzzle
pieces. This is a constant process from the time I wake in the morning and stare at the ceiling for around 15 minutes just thinking to when I'm doing washing dishes or watching TV. With commercials, for instance, I notice the patterns and types of appeals they use and whether they're effective or more/less so than another and why.

Sometimes its annoying when I want to turn it off... the kalaidescope that is.:) or when I get really obsessed with something. Couple that with an artist's eye and I reeeally want to turn it off sometimes. My eye can, innocently, fall on my china cabinet and I see every reflection on the glass door and every shadow on it and everything in it and their shadows/reflections.... my mind goes over the time of day, light source and the consequent effects, changes in color and what pigments they are and the perspective from my positioning, what brush would capture it... on and on and on. Did you know if you drove down a city street with all the lights of stores turned on, other car headlights and street lights and your mind consciously perceived them all, you would loose it?.... your mind that is. :) Yeh, I think about that!

2) How much does logics weight in on your decisions and how much does feelings come
into play?

Logic rules! It is my very best friend that can always (well mostly based on my own limitations like missing some critical piece of data) be depended on. I examine, analyze, examine and analyze to be fairly sure I haven't. Feelings? I'm very tempted to say not at all but I suspect I might have them just because I'm human but
they have to be so weak and fleeting to grasp or hold on to. I'm pretty sure they're so immediately pushed down with thought that it appears I don't have them except for really extreme situations. I've read the "feeling" thread and think that's what I'm gathering but would not have otherwise known I even had them routinely. It might appear to some that I am tuned into them but I'm not.. one of two things are happening. Either I've learned to "act" them when needed or, when it looks like I've had a "gut" one, I've already seen the pattern because of that kalidescope thinking
and I don't need time to "re"think. I already "know" the "new" person, situation or
the subject from seeing previous patterns so it looks like its a snap or emotional decision (since no one thinks that fast lol) but its not.

How do you determine whether you've over-thinked?

When I become paralyzed and can't act on what I've thought about.... but don't try to convince me of that then. LOL

3) How easily can you go through the steps you've taken to arrive at a conclusion?

To myself? Except for simple things like purchases or why I did something routine
the way I did, I can't and I've tried. I wish I could. It would save me some problems with this or that one believing I'm psychic no matter how hard I try to convince them I'm not. I know I've been watching the kaleidescope, seen the pieces,
and they've "congealed" to a form... though I don't know when or how long I've been
looking. That's the closest I can get.

Is it automatic? Or does it involve some translation to get it into a form understandable by others?

No, its not on the easier stuff that I can explain. I know/devise the methodical, logical, steps I went through but once I have they're out-of-mind and they might not match another logical thinker's.. we all have our unique approaches. I'm pretty sure "N" might differ from others. When I try to
retrieve them to explain, it comes out all wrong or I've forgotten.... but I'm still sure its right and won't give an inch if its disagreed with... that or I better hear something I hadn't considered.. unlikely. Boy, does that ever sound egotistical...
but that's the way it is time tested and, now, accepted. Philosophy is a different matter. I can with that as I was trained in it and it has a specific, logical, language/approach.

Well, yeh... this is so long, I might be "F"... nah, just kidding from the other thread... its not just "F" that does long ones. With me its because I'm not used to writing and/or conversing and not good at it. This also isn't an easy subject for
pete's sake.... not if you really want to share with someone wanting to know. And that's a dangerous question to ask an INTP who's analyzing LOL... let's just leave the door open on this one. K?

Oh, yeh... the reason I love rpg's and card games so much is because that is how I turn it off... crosswords too.

Edit: sorry for the typos... this is just too long to find them once on the edit page.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ

I don't quite understand "thinkers" who make no consideration of emotions. They exist, both in ourselves and in others, thus they can and should play a role (albeit not a big one) in logic. They seem completely ok with this despite the fact that it usually does not allow them to get along well with others... very illogical in my opinion. :thinking:

Many people would consider me a "nice" person, despite the fact that my internal thinking is extremely unforgiving. I choose to be nice to people because it often makes them feel better and requires very little effort on my part. I try to give people the same benefit of the doubt that I need (although that becomes increasingly difficult to do with each day). I regret the times that I have to pull this approach short because someone tries to take advantage of it. People often times dont understand that I am making a choice to be friendly with them, as soon as they cross my principles then they will find that nicety pulled out from beneath them, which I'm sure can seem confusing.

I so agree with this... it is illogical.

Unfortunately, I'm so unfamiliar with whatever ones I have, that I don't know when someone else might be offended by my words. It just happened this weekend in fact. We picked up a lady, probably in her mid 80's, who was hitch hiking... yes, that's what I said. She was at the post office stopping people asking for a ride to town. Okay, so she's in the back seat and I can't see her face. The conversation is how expensive everything is today... like the shuttle would cost her. I'm thinking about her age and mine and the prices we've seen since childhood and how she might be embarrassed getting a ride from strangers. She's way older than me although I'm not young and, attempting to start putting her at ease, I start my sentence with "You're older than me but...." Stopped right there by her very loud disapproval... "That was rude and uncalled for. How do you know how old I am."and she went on chastizing me for another two minutes... no kidding! Geez... kick myself... I should have known as she was wearing a blond wig, too much makeup and hitching a ride in her 80's. LOL... so I really goof and hurt people sometimes... bet I don't do that one again... just the latest example of social ineptness.:blush:

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I so agree with this... it is illogical.

Unfortunately, I'm so unfamiliar with whatever ones I have, that I don't know when someone else might be offended by my words. It just happened this weekend in fact. We picked up a lady, probably in her mid 80's, who was hitch hiking... yes, that's what I said. She was at the post office stopping people asking for a ride to town. Okay, so she's in the back seat and I can't see her face. The conversation is how expensive everything is today... like the shuttle would cost her. I'm thinking about her age and mine and the prices we've seen since childhood and how she might be embarrassed getting a ride from strangers. She's way older than me although I'm not young and, attempting to start putting her at ease, I start my sentence with "You're older than me but...." Stopped right there by her very loud disapproval... "That was rude and uncalled for. How do you know how old I am."and she went on chastizing me for another two minutes... no kidding! Geez... kick myself... I should have known as she was wearing a blond wig, too much makeup and hitching a ride in her 80's. LOL... so I really goof and hurt people sometimes... bet I don't do that one again... just the latest example of social ineptness.:blush:

people tend to interpret what others say in the same light that they themselves would say things

perhaps this lady would say such a thing to someone else only to be rude?

this is an unfortunate fact for those who find no motivation to say hurtful things to others. :dry:

LucrativeSid

I think the biggest feeling that I watch out for is the feeling I get when it seems like things are progressing illogically and I can't fix it. If something doesn't make sense, it pisses me off, but in a way that motivates me to fix it. If I can't fix it through the use of logic, it pisses me off even more. (Which is an illogical feeling itself, because you should never be upset over something you can't control, so the cycle starts over again until everything is calm again.) It's not that hard to feel and understand my other feelings, but I will only keep them if I can align them with what I think is logically correct. Otherwise, I use my logic to fix them.

That might sound bad, so I'll have to provide an example. I think love is a good feeling. I think pain is a good feeling, sometimes. I'm not afraid of feelings, I just don't want them to take away my power to be in control. When it comes to my own personal hapiness and watching out for what I think makes the most sense, I believe that taking many emotional risks is worth it, regardless of whatever the outcome may be. Love is important. Feeling betrayed when I know I have not been betrayed is illogical and it's a negative feeling that serves me no purpose, other than to let me know I need to work on my perception of things so that it doesn't happen as much anymore. Once I've done this long enough, it's really hard for me to become emotional in a negative way about most things. I am not always controlled by reason, but I usually try my best. If using reason can make things better, I'll do it. If my reasoning tells me to use my feelings more, I will do that.

I just couldn't stand not putting logic and reason first most of the time. Logic to me is like a big star up in the sky that I can always look to for guidance. I don't always have to use it, but if I stop using it completely, I'll get lost and I will needlessly suffer negative consequences. The star is impersonal and objective. It is my friend. I can always count on it. It won't lie to me. It won't change its mind. It will always be there for me. Once something makes sense, it's solid and pure, and it's a good idea for me to follow my logic Star because even if doing the most logical thing causes me some temporary pain or discomfort, at least I'm not lost, and the star can help me transcend that temporary pain, too, so that everything is perfect again. That's my idea of harmony and that's what I always try to maintain. :)

That's what it's like to be a thinker for me. Sorry I didn't follow the guidelines, they limit my ability to express myself as accurately as I'd like, but hopefully I covered some of the questions anyway. ;)

Last edited: