• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Remeron Experiences?

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Satisfactory?
Perpetuated ideation?
Blew up like a balloon?
Love it?
Hate it?
... because personal experience has proved to be more accurate/helpful than my space-case doctor's regurgitation of a pamphlet.

Feel free to mention experiences with similar medications.

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
They put me on that shit when I was 10. It was awful! It made me crazy paranoid of everything. I would have very passive thoughts (like 'what if' scenario mind chatter when nothing was going on) and they would seem so real and frightening. Like, what if everyone in school can hear my thoughts, or what if this car suddenly flipped, or what if there's someone with a knife waiting to kill me behind this door. They would play through my head as very realistic visions. I was too young to understand that medications could affect me like that, so it was a while before I realized and stopped taking it.

A little context on that. When I was in 6th grade my teachers had a conference with my parents and said they feel it would be better for me if I were held back a year because I was emotionally immature, or at least see a therapist. The truth was, two years prior we had moved to a new state, and the kids were far meaner and cliquish than at my old school and I was being bullied. Did anyone ask (including the therapist) how I was being treated or if I was adjusting at school? Nope! The psychologist I saw scared me (she was very abrasive) and sent me to a psychiatrist because of depression and he just sent me on my way with a prescription for remeron. 15mg to start and upped to 30mg after the first month in those dissolvable orange tablets. I think that was the dosage anyway.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Just, goddammit, that whole situation pisses me off when I think about it. No, really, not one adult in that scenario thought "Hmm, maybe the school is the source of the problems she's having" and tried to provide wisdom for that and instead thought it reasonable to put me on mildly psychedelic drugs?

Haha, sorry, it's a compulsive rant when someone mentions remeron.

T

ThatGirl

God I hate psychology. Bunch of messed up freaks. That is an unfortunate story Cybin. Hope everything worked out.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
They put me on that shit when I was 10. It was awful! It made me crazy paranoid of everything. I would have very passive thoughts (like 'what if' scenario mind chatter when nothing was going on) and they would seem so real and frightening. Like, what if everyone in school can hear my thoughts, or what if this car suddenly flipped, or what if there's someone with a knife waiting to kill me behind this door. They would play through my head as very realistic visions. I was too young to understand that medications could affect me like that, so it was a while before I realized and stopped taking it.

A little context on that. When I was in 6th grade my teachers had a conference with my parents and said they feel it would be better for me if I were held back a year because I was emotionally immature, or at least see a therapist. The truth was, two years prior we had moved to a new state, and the kids were far meaner and cliquish than at my old school and I was being bullied. Did anyone ask (including the therapist) how I was being treated or if I was adjusting at school? Nope! The psychologist I saw scared me (she was very abrasive) and sent me to a psychiatrist because of depression and he just sent me on my way with a prescription for remeron. 15mg to start and upped to 30mg after the first month in those dissolvable orange tablets. I think that was the dosage anyway.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Just, goddammit, that whole situation pisses me off when I think about it. No, really, not one adult in that scenario thought "Hmm, maybe the school is the source of the problems she's having" and tried to provide wisdom for that and instead thought it reasonable to put me on mildly psychedelic drugs?

Haha, sorry, it's a compulsive rant when someone mentions remeron.

Thank you for sharing this. I would never dream of putting a child on that sort of medication, unless extensive therapy seemed to fail or extreme circumstances suggested that was the Only option. I am sorry you had to go through that. When I was 18 a psychologist referred me to a psychiatrist after the first session as well. He then asked questions for no more than 10-15 minutes, slapped on major depression and GAD labels, and claimed Cymbalta was the only available crutch to make life 'bearable'. There are cognitive irregularities that did not exist prior to that prescription; my trust in psychiatrists' Understanding of medications, especially in younger patients, is always going to be damaged. I have been told of dozens of suicides in teens and young adults that occurred after consulting medications, though it is likely many that have occurred in the absence of medication, too. It seems that there are just so many unknowns; the entire process gives off an uneasy guess-and-check vibe.