• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do people say of you?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Biggest compliment I got was when someone likened me to St Thomas More ("a man for all seasons"), referencing exactly this changeability that leads to being called everything under the sun!
heh I was called a "renaissance man" and I took the label with pride :) No matter if she continued to convince me of the necessities of specialization;) Actually, I continued to remember the compliment and think of myself as such for perhaps 3 months or so.
On my blog I have a list that I update every week, of the things I've been called that week, which often illustrates this point.
Yes I see .. lol, people should start thinking what you are and what they see, lol ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah actually I've had "renaissance man" myself as well, a few times. I kinda like it, but I'm not really vain enough, deep down, to buy it; I know it's just a polite way of saying "jack of all trades, master of none"!! It is my dream though to truly master something, someday. Some people think I already have but that's only cos most people don't really take the trouble to learn things outside of their sphere of experience or necessity at all, whilst I do all the time and have over the years accumulated a deep enough knowledge on a wide enough variety of subjects to be able to convince the average Joe that I'm like, an expert or something. But I know it's hollow really, and if I was put up against a REAL expert, I'd totally flounder. Except maybe I wouldn't, I'd bluff my way through haha... but point being that I know my place, and that's NOT up there with the real experts!!

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Mainly, I get told that seem somewhat formal and tense, if I'm noticed at all. People who work with me in groups tell me I'm "smart" repeatedly if I try to ask them for their input, and then proceed to leave me with all or most of the work.
That's heavy.. so they don't bother to think it at the level comfortable with you, and prefer to skip it all together.

I'm having an inverted situation with my current teammate in my latest job.. He's done the job for 3 years, and even tho we've both done the same kind of education and held same kind of jobs, I feel I can't be of much use to him in all times.

Some kind of jobs would take 3 times as long for me as they would take for him. If I were to work with him on THOSE subtasks, uhh.. I would appreciate the attempt, but I'm afraid to do so because of perceived inconvenience.

He's a nice person tho, but I don't find it nice to disturb his workflow in tasks he clearly does better. I should step up and ask to do some of the jobs anyway, if the company wants me to learn everything ;)

heart

heart on fire
Positive: funny, imaginative, three dimensional thinker, easy to talk to,

Negative:

"Pay ATTENTION!"

"Don't you CARE about ANYTHING?"

"Are you listening?"

"You are too quiet."

"You cut people with your eyes."

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Latest addition, people repeatedly say liking to hear my voice, and one person (a 12-year old Elvis fan) said I sound like Elvis. This is funny and flattering :)

On the negative side, I was repeatedly asked whether I'm really what I appear, if I'm really what I seem like. This made me somewhat uncomfortable, as I had been my genuine self, or one version of it. I had been joking a lot, which is an act of course, but I had done so without any intentions whatsoever except to enjoy my time and give fun time for everyone else.

I explained that I appear different in different moods, but none of them are fake. I still felt a bit sad :(

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm interested of what kind of comments people have directed at us, regarding our behavior and personality. Only Real Life comments we didn't specifically ask for, for this thread.

It's an interesting addition to the kind of feedback we actively seek from each other, and the kind of feedback we get from standardized tests. I'll start. I remember last 4 occasions when my general behavior was commented on.

This is supposed to be somewhat serious thread, with the purpose to find how the comments received correlate to type, and why the particular things were said and other were not.

-I was said to be a "funster" or a "jokester", no exact translation available.
-I said being "somewhat" extraverted, being seriously doubted about the "somewhat" part in return.
-I was said to be a good speaker (the finnish word for that meaning speaking as in conversation or anywhere)
-I was said to have an accurate insight into a person's character
What you say of people does matter.
What people say of you does not matter.
It is their concern.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing. They give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin. When I say that Im o.k. well they look at me kind of strange. :unsure: Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game. :rolleyes:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
From strangers/people not friends in real life

I'm either cold and creepy
or
sweet and quiet.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I asked my friend of twenty years to ascribe four adjectives. They were "introspective, speculative, idealistic and serious." Slightly preoccupied with the turning in of my MBTI badge, I turned us to a mutual friend, an unmistakable take-charge ENTJ/ESTP; for whom we were long-stuck on "cocky." I gave my friend "stable, pragmatic, stoic and sportsmanlike." He demurred, so I switched one to "virile" and another to "muscled." A fun exercise.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I've gotten quite a laundry list

Harsh/Intimidating; I get this on an uncommon, but repetitive basis

A lot of people have no idea that I'm actually smarter than your average cement mixer, and act quite suprised when the learn this. (I suppose because I just don't feel the need to outwardly project intelligence, and because of my laxidasical nature)

I get called a nutjob all the time, people just tend to think that I'm a little off center.

There's a lot more, but right now I'm on a public computer at Arifjan and there's a 10 minute limit...

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It can't get much clumsier than me.
I'm always so calm all the time.
EVERYTHING just works out fine for me when I put in no effort whatsoever.
I have nice eyebrows.
I'm the weirdest fucking person they've ever met.

And the big one:
I'm funny, nice, and interesting. <---- I hate getting this. I know it's a compliment but I get it as a description of me so often by other people...eh. It's like it doesn't get any more below the surface that that, can it? :/

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I've gotten quite a laundry list

Harsh/Intimidating; I get this on an uncommon, but repetitive basis

A lot of people have no idea that I'm actually smarter than your average cement mixer, and act quite suprised when the learn this. (I suppose because I just don't feel the need to outwardly project intelligence, and because of my laxidasical nature)

I get called a nutjob all the time, people just tend to think that I'm a little off center.
INTJ in an S world.

There's a lot more, but right now I'm on a public computer at Arifjan and there's a 10 minute limit...
You're are such an NT and why you would think differently is a bit disappointing, but hey we all make mistakes. :rolleyes: As for the P part I don't think so but you are allowed to be confused at various stages in your life and given your location and age mistyping yourself is to be expected imo.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
My therapist told me that, the day I first went, she got the feeling first that I was a very safe and very kind individual.

Within a session or two, she also realized I was very smart.

Usually it is things like that: Quiet, friendly, safe, funny, smart/perceptive, creative, kind. Negatively, I think I have been called (at different times) aloof, socially clumsy, goofy, distant, uninvolved, and passive.

I went to see a therapist once. Told me the same thing. People generally describe me as quite. Some people would say crazy. I occasionally hear comments like, "they only made one of you" or "they broke the mold when they made you". I take it as a compliment. I like being different. If I'm crazy, I like being crazy. Personally I think I'm the sane person surrounded by crazy people. I also get a lot of the other ones you describe here.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Throughout grade school: You don't listen! I got "poor listening skills" comments on all my report cards and conduct reports. It makes me smile and bubble with amusement now. I got scolded aggressively by a nun for "always bringing up the end of the line, always," probably because I was a dreamer and my mind wandered, which led me to be the last person to pay attention to practical, here-and-now concerns such as getting in line when the nuns told us to. Muahah. Also why I was a bad listener and poor follower of directions.

I don't get very many comments on myself, or haven't recently, but one sticks out in my mind: indifferent. I liken that to "aloof." Needy was another, though my mom made that in jest; I think what she really meant was annoying and hyper, because I was asking her neutral questions while she was working (she runs her business from our home). In retrospect, I was probably a little intrusive and distracting, but... oh, well. She ended up laughing heartily and smiling in the end. We both did. :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that all of my teachers used to call me the "absentminded professor" because I was bright but always forgetting stuff.

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
I was told last week that I 'have the funniest facial expressions!' :huh:
and today 'you have attitude!' (I think they meant it as a compliment :D)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that all of my teachers used to call me the "absentminded professor" because I was bright but always forgetting stuff.

I got that all the time. My fifth-grade teacher had a "space cadet club" for students like that, and she deemed me the president.

She got fired a few years later for being verbally abusive to the kids :)

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Positives: Kind, patient, reliable, good-listener, efficient/hardworking, affable (this was my favorite, because at the time when one of my professors told me this I didn't even know what the word meant..lol), "rigorous attention to detail," "Your mind is like velcro...do you forget anything?" "Recoleta, sometimes I just wish I had a book of your thoughts so I could know the things you think about." (Was said by a high-school teacher when I started smiling/laughing in the middle of class for no apparent reason...I just thought of something funny and couldn't contain it).

Negatives: "Stop being so cynical/pessimistic" "Recoleta, I really just want to see you totally explode and tell someone off and be consecending towards them...I know you have those thoughts, and I'm pretty sure it'd be hilarious to see it happen!" "You're too quiet/shy/reserved/unassertive," "Why are you so awkward?" "What is wrong with you?" (A common phrase heard by my brothers and sister toward me).