• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do people say of you?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
People at work have commented that they worried about how I--clearly a shy introvert, clearly sensitive--would fare as a teacher, but that within a semester or two it became clear that I'm quite a bit tougher than I look.

In particular, one of my assistant principals, at the end of my first year of teaching or maybe the beginning of my second, made a comment in a presentation at a staff meeting: "When Miss S got here, I thought that those kids were going to throw her out of the window. But she did allright." (I didn't point out at the time that I teach in a room without windows.)

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Hilarious
Insane
Crazy
Imaginative
Intelligent
Bonkers
Unconcientious
Nuts
Interesting
Develishly handsome (ok, I made that up :laugh: although I have been complimented for my looks on many occasions)
Indecisive ("if you ran a country it would fall into anarchy in five minutes!")
Weird
Perceptive
Forgetful
Goofy
You have the prettiest eyes I've ever seen!
Rabid
Possibly on drugs (I don't do drugs though)
Overanalytical

And yes, I did use a thesaurus on "insane" just for fun on some words :p

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was told I was negative, I'm not negative. and when I say something negative I'm rarely serious like if I can't I get the door to work I say "the door hates me" obviously the door doesn't hate me it's a door.

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some things off the top of my head...

My husband:
(An INTP. These type of comments are few and far between, but that makes it very special when he does say them.)

very perceptive
empathetic/compassionate
silly
sensitive
oblivious to my surroundings
creative/artistic
intelligent
a tease

My Family - things they have directly said:
(Mostly SJs here)

thoughtful
weird/crazy/hilarious (my sister says this a lot, she's an ESFP)
silly (my mom says this quite a bit, this is her nice way of saying weird)
smart
loving
patient (they call it patient, I call it self control)
passionate
intense
sarcastic (by my dad, sarcasm is ‘wrong’ to him)

My Family - things they indirectly say:
(This mainly applies to my Mom and my sister (ESFJs), and my Dad to a lesser degree (ISFJ))

Think that I am ashamed to be an American (I guess this is because I live in a different country? It’s pretty weird though…)

Snobby/they think that I think I'm better than them

- I find this one of the most interesting reactions that people have toward me, so I'm going to go into it a little bit more.
It seems like they think both me and my husband are snobby, but it gets directed at me since I am the immediate family. I've tried to figure out why they feel this way (since it's not based on reality!), and what I've come up with is:

A)
They associate certain things that I like with being snobby/superior (like to drink wine occasionally, like nice food, like to travel, like to read a lot, like to learn)

I think some of this must be due to class and their social circle. I would say that they are lower middle class and their social circle is restricted to their church. In this environment, many of the things that I (and my husband) like aren’t considered the norm I suppose. Of course there are other people they know who also like some of the things that they would consider snobby/superior, but either they don’t associate with them or they are fine with them liking these things because they see this person as superior to them (this person is in a position of authority).

B)
They feel slightly intimidated by my husband and I, and they read into this that we think we’re superior to them.

C)
If I disagree with something, or have a different opinion, this is also perceived as my feeling superior. (I would say this is related to feeling intimidated by me)

And I’ll stop now, this post is way too long already! (But I could keep going…hmm maybe I’ll write one about my husband. It’s fascinating how people react to him.)

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
People think im a complete asshole and very rude, until they get to now me and realise its just my sense of humor...then they know im an asshole...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
My friend told me she'd love me as a teacher. My parents think I'd be good as a waldorf teacher. I wouldn't mind being a college professor but don't want to get a Ph.d.

The same friend also was like but you'd so play favortism, and yes I would. Though if I go into teacher I'd rather not teach middle school and maybe not highschool and really don't want to teach public. I'd like to teach at a small school

One of my favorites so far "You drink?! but you're so quiet and nice" I responded with "that's why"

Lushipher

MBTI Type
INTx
Close friends:

"You seem mean, but you're actually nice in the inside ... right?"
"No! Are you crazy, I won't do that!"
"You're interesting... like, you think differently and you respond differently to things..."
"You're so ditzy -- it's over there."
"You're so queer -- I mean -- well, I can't find a better word for it."
"No! -- you always find a way to get other people to say what you want them to say."
"You're lying -- stop! You always throw me off."
"Teach me how to fake interest!"
"You're so playful, but stop putting stuff on my back."

Friends:

"You mean you're antisociable?" [quoted, haha :D]
"You really got'ta socialize more with people, then you'll probably know that spiral is spelled SPAI-RHUL not SPEE-RHUL"
"No matter how you look at it, you can never be serious.."
"Ok, look at you, there's no way you can look scary."
"You're so jokes"
"Oh really? You're so smart."
"You're so cute!"
"I like your shirt/pants/dress/skirt etc."
"You're like a robot.. I'm so jealous, I want a delete and download button too!"
"You're so different, like -- totally not mainstream!"

Family:

"Don't be so selfish... share." [I think it was about food.]
"Stop doing your art on the dining table!"
"Stop studying, take a break.."
"Oh, you're home, now I can turn off the radio."

Hopefully I'll remember to update this, later... heh. ;)

Usehername

On a mission
Those were great, Usehername.

Which of these comments you got first and which later?

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about this thread.

The "find a way to relate to everyone" was referring to one-on-one interpersonals.

The "socially inept but endearing" was more in group dynamics--but just generally, it wasn't uncommon for me to say something totally inappropriate, but it came across as what Toonia would call the tertiary Fi of an INTJ/childlike candor. :) So I always have/(hopefully always will) get away with it.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Hmm. Through high school, my friends always likened me to a mouse, I always got 'conscientious' on my report cards, most people see me as 'sweet' and 'nice'. Around friends, though, I was told I was 'so random!', 'omg you're so cute!' and 'hyper'. Once a teacher told me I had a really different way of doing things, but I think that's just because I had forgotten the proper way to do a maths problem and thus had invented my own way. ^^

And always, always, 'you're so smart!!'.

For some reason in my family I have a reputation for being quite stubborn... possibly because I'm quite laid back most of the time so when I do decide to put my foot down it's very noticeable.

Now I get the 'smart' thing less, because I admit I project myself a little fluffier, more smiley and jokey and less quiet and intense. More often I'm told I'm 'weird'. And I still get 'nice' all the time.

Absolutely. Same here - I used to be always told I was intelligent, until I got sick to death of it and wanted to be seen as more than a brain on legs. It was the only compliment I ever got, as though I had no other qualities. It used to irritate me cos I didn't really care that much for being a smart person, I wanted more to be a good person. It's not as though I tried to be smart.

Similarly, I learned to channel my intelligence into humour and enthusiasm and use it that way to reach people, rather than dry sorta intellectual stuff. And also like you, since doing that I've had less recognition of my intelligence, and I get assumed to be 'shallow' sometimes, more traditional academic types tend not to take me seriously until they get an acid demonstration of the wits they doubt the existence of!!

Absolutely! It's funny how most people assume a cheery, lighthearted demeanour = lack of intelligence.

EVERYTHING just works out fine for me when I put in no effort whatsoever.

Me too! How weird. :)

Mole

Permabanned
Once you learn to fake sincerity, you've got it made.

Victor.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
The good, the bad, the subjective

I think the things people say to and about you say just as much (sometimes more) about them than it does you. Having said that, just some comments that stick out to me for being good or bad.

My INTP friend:
"Everyone likes you" (Ha, I wish. This actually surprised me)

Friend's Roommate, IXFJ:
"CzeCze is is someone you can't forget" (I think she heard crazy stories and she didn't believe them until we met)

Friend from college ENTX (she is crajee btw)
"Don't be intellectual to woo girls because intellectuals are boring and you are very fun"

Acquaintance IXXJ?:
"CzeCze is funny as shit"

Professor who didn't like me:
"People might listen more to you if you weren't so hostile and intimidating" (Hahahaah motherflippin' hippie)

Student when I told her the professor's comment
"You are the least intimidating person I've ever met in my life

Director of non-profit during interview:
"This program gives positive role models to young women -- and I think you're a great role model" (*tear* I actually felt really fake and caught off- guard when she told me this)

Older people:
"You're very mature. You don't annoy me like other young people."

ISTJ friend:
"You are an aimless, shiftless adult" (ouch, damn you ISTJs)

XNTX roommate:
"You're kinda lazy"

XNTX ex-girlfriend:
"You're evil" and "You're the devil" and "You're an asshole" (it was a lovely relationship if you can't already tell)

EXXJ at work, former manager at beginning at job
"You seem like the kind of person who isn't scared of anything"

Same former manager at end of job
"You are scared of this job and your team "

My INTP brother:
"You have such a hyperactive addictive personality. Look at you getting all excited and stupid for no reason [playing a time management online game]. Why don't you do drugs or smoke?"

My response btw was: :steam: Get the flip :steam: away from me! I'm trying to win back my flippin' :steam: father's ice cream empire and I need to serve these flippin :steam: customers some flippin :steam: ice cream before the flippin :steam: time runs out!! :steam:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I get I'm refreshingly honest (I don't see why I would lie about what I think or your outfit)

cheap

MBTI Type
F00D
I was told that I don't know how to be fake, which I don't

I have been told this too.
"Sometimes you have to accommodate others. You can't be selfish." because I am incapable of adapting to people I feel like an igloo around. [hence, avoidance::cry:]:run:
I explained the situation to an online anonymous counsellor who told me, "You strike me as a deep thinker, but I don't understand why at this age you have to go SO deep in trying to understand yourself and others. What if I told you to smell the roses? Pluck the daisies? Go with the flow." He must've been a :p and didn't appreciate me asking whether my type had anything to do with it. :spam_laser:
Of course I didn't take his advice. :headphne:

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
What I hear:
Wierdo. Retard. Shut the -blam! up! Go away!
I respond: O tempora, O mores!

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
A teacher, ENxP:
* You are very assertive! That is a very good thing!

Another teacher, ExxJ:
* You are so disobedient! You know nobody likes disobedient people! Nobody likes people who never do their homework! Everybody hates you! All the teachers hate you! All of your class mates hate you! And now be a good kid and finish your work! (Which was actually true, nobody liked me back in those days, but I didn't care because I didn't like them either. All of my teachers and my class mates were so BORING!!!)

My dad, INTJ:
* (8 years ago) Their are only two kinds of people in the world: stupid social people and INTELLECTUALS!!! Social people are those who like to party. They never get a job. But you and me, we are INTELLECTUALS! Intellectuals are the smart people who don't party and those who don't need friends. Intellectuals do get good jobs! Intellectuals get rich! So stay an intellectual! Don't go partying and only hang out with the smart kids!
* (A few weeks ago) You are always alone. You never talk to other people. I don't like that! Who knows everybody starts to think that you are an autist or something! PLEASE, go out and party. Talk to your class mates (I hate my class mates and so does he, my dad works at our school) and befriend them!!! I don't think I can handle this any longer!!!

An old man I met a month ago, ExFx:
* Do you have ADHD?

A friend of my grandmother, ESFJ:
* When Kat was a kid, I didn't like her, but fortunately she has turned out to be a nice girl.

My aunt, ESFx:
* You are just like your father!!! (she never REALLY knew me)

Another aunt, xSTJ:
Aunt: What's your favorite movie?
Me: Well, i guess that would be Amelie.
Aunt: AMELIE!!! Awww, I've seen that movie! Amelie is so crazy!
Me: Yeah, she's just like me!
Aunt: Indeed! That's just what I wanted to say!!!

Some old class mates:
* She is so sweet!!!

An enemy, ISTJ:
* You are evil! Look at me, I am at least a NICE girl! You are always criticizing other people, but look at yourself! You are so impatient! You are irresponsible! You never do your homework! You are always saying that my boyfriend looks like a girl but he doesn't! He just has an awesome Japanese style AND YOU CAN'T ACCEPT IT NOW CAN YOU YOU NASTY LITTLE CONFORMIST!!! (She obviously never really knew me.)

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Friendly, cute, excellent advice giver, hot, a good human being, sexual, unselfish, blunt and to honest

Down side - bitch, cruel, selfish, blunt and honest.. the usual

I got an email from my husband this morning (INTJ) .. lol .. His words were Fuck off on the horse you rode in on .. cunt .. how does that feel? .. i laughed so hard and took it as a compliment ..

I am not cruel with words .. i am honest and blunt .. i call a spade a spade .. So if you screwed me over, i emigrated to another country with my children and sold all my belongings .. you spent most of our savings and was screwing someone else and i come back to England with nothing but 6 suitcases.. and i tell you i was used .. its the truth .. If it hurts then tough shit ..

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
People have told me:

- I'm too lazy.
- I am intelligent.
- I am athletic.
- I'm good-looking.
- I'm an antisocial hermit.
- I'm an enigma, a complicated guy.
- I'm quiet.
- I'm very witty.
- I can eat a whole lot, and have a high metabolism.
- I have bad time management.
- I label myself too much.
- I should be a stand up comic.
etc.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was told just recently that I was an astute judge of character. I get that a lot.
Someone at work said to me last week, "Everybody loves you."
From someone I know online, that she did not like my "petty hostility." (It's not petty.)