• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which of your hobbies do you think stand out the most, given your personality? Why?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
-Interior decorating. I'm disappointed I haven't had much chance of that lately.
-Making beer, wine, cider etc. at home.

Why would these things stand out considering my personality?
-I guess most people of my style just focus on their careers and buy a good designer to make things for them, instead of thinking about colors, light etc. themselves. This do-it-yourself thing seems like an oddity considering rest of my values.

-Making wine, cider, beer.. there are fine wines, beers etc for sale, why try to make them myself? I like the lowly craftmanship involved. I can enjoy the product. Still, I could have similar quality drinks from the shop, with the same price, taking into account my work into it.

Explanation?

Hobbies are something where you go out of your usual mode of things. Sports aren't unusual for a person like me. Dance isn't. Playing computer games isn't. Editing the Wikipedia isn't.

So, any things you find it odd to like? Some things you find yourself often explaining about, especially the part why you like them?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
More than one person has found it odd I like domestic things like canning, gardening and quilting. A woman I work with said, I didn't even think they still sold canning jars. I didn't think anyone did that, it's old-fashioned. That may be so but my strawberry jam is like eating summertime in the dead of winter so I'll keep on doing it. I guess it is because my personality doesn't seem like I would want anything to do with those "gentle" hobbies. I love them, especially gardening.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
-Renaissance Festival
-Star Trek

Because of my hobbies, those are the "weird" ones.

T

ThatGirl

Hm. Other than this forum, I don't have too many hobbies. I think most of my interests express themselves by what classes I am taking this semester.

I'm turning into my father, lol. The guy who sits behind the computer all day, laughing at his own intellectual pursuits. INTP (who swears he is E).

There are a lot of things I would like to be doing. Learning to play the piano and trumpet. A foreign language. Getting back into shape and practicing ballet again. Learning to salsa dance. Thanks to Ivy, the roller derby. Kung fu. Some form of art. The sensual science of sex (yeah I said it).

Idk, my desired hobbies tend to focus more on the mastering of certain skills I don't already have.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My desired hobbies tend to be more physically focused. I would actually love to somehow fit something like a martial arts class into my schedule (something like Tae Kwon Do, Kendo, Fencing, or Archery.)

Of the things I've spent a long time without thinking of the time, it has to be building something. Something like gundam models.... I can build for hours. I think helping to make something, time has, more often than not, not been time focused one bit.

I've actually gotten out of my way many, many times to exercise (mostly weight training.) Or rather, weight training has been something that seems to be more prevalent this and last year.

Other hobbies have been gaming and computers. I think this bit has to do with my middle school upbringing.

Doesn't sound like it stands out much.... :D

wolfy

awsm
Designing stuff that has some detail to it. Graphic design stuff as a hobby. It throws people when I get into detail, I don't come across as the really detailed type.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My main fascinations are with literature and poetry, but I think that's pretty unsurprising given my personality type (and my background and upbringing...not very original of me really!)

People are sometimes surprised to learn that I'm also a rock chick/metalhead. ;) well, not really a metalhead, though some have teased me for being one. I like hard rock such as Def Leppard, Queensryche and Dream Theater (as well as less "hard" rock, but most of my musical loves fall under rock, hard rock or classic rock...and classical too). I think a lot of people perceive me as a very "good girl" so they are surprised that I love loud rowdy music and going out to concerts, screaming and waving my arms and making a fool of myself.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
People are sometimes surprised to learn that I'm also a rock chick/metalhead. ;) well, not really a metalhead, though some have teased me for being one. I like hard rock such as Def Leppard, Queensryche and Dream Theater (as well as less "hard" rock, but most of my musical loves fall under rock, hard rock or classic rock...and classical too). I think a lot of people perceive me as a very "good girl" so they are surprised that I love loud rowdy music and going out to concerts, screaming and waving my arms and making a fool of myself.

Your music tastes sound similar to mine. I don't like the screaming kind of metal so much but I do listen alot of hard rock, classic rock, as well as classical. I think people are sometimes surprised by the first two because I'm usually pretty quiet and serious and intellectual, I don't really seem like the "type" to enjoy that sort of music.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Basketball seems to be an atypical hobby for an intp.

But yeah..I don't have too many hobbies besides monkeying around online and (rarely these days) poker.

I want to take a cooking class one day.

KDude

I'm kind of questioning my type atm, but I thought I'd mention that some apparent INFP skills (like being good with language/poetry.. but that could be INFJ :confused:) don't exactly come easy. Although I can write, I've devoted more time to music (mostly guitars). I don't even write lyrics that much. I don't think of new concepts in my head in terms of poetry.. it's always noise or some visual motif. Not even sure if that's true. I don't have many musical ideas until I pick up an instrument. Other hobbies are more about just being a voracious "consumer". Books, movies, games, etc.. I geek out on a lot of subjects and before I know it, become fairly well versed in them, I think. I guess that's a hobby. My general appreciation for all of the cool things in the world. That's my hobby :rolli:. I appreciate people who I can share this with more than single interests, like music.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
intensely studying other human beings is a hobby of mine that most are rather surprised to find out about, I dont know why this surprises people, but it often does, especially when they realize how much I have learned about them...

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Well, the hobby that people are always most surprised by in person is that I play 6 instruments. Because I wear hearing aids and am legally deaf. But I don't know that that really qualifies as personality... So I'd probably say my drawing/painting. I don't think people generally associate ISTJ with artist.

G

garbage

I'm not particularly shy, but I am pretty reserved. One of my hobbies, though, is public speaking. I end up taking on the mannerisms and enunciations of a preacher, politician, or motivational speaker :ranting:

I was into yoga for a few years, but that was pretty much because of what my personality wasn't: placid and contented. Yoga offered that to me.

Other than that, nothing too surprising. My main hobbies deal with psychology, computers, and music :shrug:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm... I have been a birdwatcher (in a serious sense, in terms of learning about hundreds of species, not just looking at the birdfeeder birds) since around 6th grade. I was also pretty into logic puzzles as a teenager, and even today, if I found the type of puzzles I actually like more often than I do, I'd do those more often for 'fun'. ;) I'm also into rock-climbing.

Another going-against-typical-infj-things is probably the fact that I really dislike poetry, and always have. However, I LOVE almost any other type of literature and am a fan of many of the classics. Oh, and I love sci-fi too, and that probably goes against infj a bit.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dancing.

I took a pole-dancing class regularly for a while.

And I just dance period, it comes so naturally for me. This is the main reason why I'm mistaken for an extrovert, when I am hardly no such thing. It's really cathartic and I feel exceptionally free and out of this world when I do...