• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The psychology of forum and online dynamics

alikaka

MBTI Type
Enneagram
I've been all over different forums since I was 11, but the only one that I've really gotten absorbed into (making friendships with other members) is INTPc. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to read the entire thread, so I'll just say a few things that I've noticed.

1. Culture is largely made up by the theme of the forum and the administration. This is the case because the theme of the forum is mostly going to attract certain type of people (i.e. a psychology forum probably won't get 40 year old men who's only love in life is drinking beer and watching football), and the administration is going to filter out what kind of people stick around. Say, if you go to a forum where the administration is extremely strict and moderation is very heavy handed, you're more likely going to get people who are used to a lot of structure in their lives, as people who like more liberal settings probably won't be comfortable.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been all over different forums since I was 11, but the only one that I've really gotten absorbed into (making friendships with other members) is INTPc. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to read the entire thread, so I'll just say a few things that I've noticed.

1. Culture is largely made up by the theme of the forum and the administration. This is the case because the theme of the forum is mostly going to attract certain type of people (i.e. a psychology forum probably won't get 40 year old men who's only love in life is drinking beer and watching football), and the administration is going to filter out what kind of people stick around. Say, if you go to a forum where the administration is extremely strict and moderation is very heavy handed, you're more likely going to get people who are used to a lot of structure in their lives, as people who like more liberal settings probably won't be comfortable.

It's not purely top-down. It's also the users themselves; you'll frequently have a few personalities which are often not in a leadership position which sets the tone which other people either seem to adapt to, leave, or react against.

I've come to this conclusion with seeing how forun styles have changed just by the presence or absence of a few individuals with many other people staying the same.

The role of the staff comes into play often with regards to the rulings made in disputes between personalities.

Of course even in those cases, the personalities can make choices about how they respond.

Individuals can rise and fall as being key "personalities" too. Some people can let it go to their head and lead crusades against popular members for whatever reason (jealousy? I don't know), which might be successful but then result in them exhausting much of their social capital.

Last edited:

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram

Agreed. Talking broadly, I do like and prefer a decent level of predictability and structure. Chaotic environments are not exactly my natural habitat unless I have a certain reasoning behind choosing them such as accepting the unpredictability of chaos or getting out of my comfort zone as necessary steps toward growth. Chaos and mayhem in themselves do not interest me unless there's something bigger behind my involvement in such an environment. On the other hand, there are others who prefer more liberal and laissez-faire environments.

What fascinates me in forums is the contrast I have discovered between IRL and IVL. I was surprised to get to know the Online Disinhibition Effect at first. Meeting people I've known online and seeing that they might be different from what I expected was amusing. I'm just the same. What you see is what you get. Life is easier that way.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Agreed. Talking broadly, I do like and prefer a decent level of predictability and structure. Chaotic environments are not exactly my natural habitat unless I have a certain reasoning behind choosing them such as accepting the unpredictability of chaos or getting out of my comfort zone as necessary steps toward growth. Chaos and mayhem in themselves do not interest me unless there's something bigger behind my involvement in such an environment. On the other hand, there are others who prefer more liberal and laissez-faire environments.

What fascinates me in forums is the contrast I have discovered between IRL and IVL. I was surprised to get to know the Online Disinhibition Effect at first. Meeting people I've known online and seeing that they might be different from what I expected was amusing. I'm just the same. What you see is what you get. Life is easier that way.
I think the line is blurring for many people when it comes to any kind of restraint or division between online and real life.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to hate the pressure to create something more strictly on-topic. I always felt that when things got off topic, that was the moment they began to get good. I don't seem to care that much now but there's also just not the traffic for those other things, so it's a moot point.