• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Language and the mind.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What do you believe is the impact of speaking a particular language on the way that you think and process reality?

Can learning a new language affect the way a person thinks in a similar fashion, possibly allowing them to process things in a way that their native language wouldn't have encouraged?

Finally, if indeed languages tend to influence people to think in a particular way, in what ways do you see various languages influencing people?

Could some languages create a more pragmatic or fractured view of reality, for instance, while others instill a more interconnected view, or perhaps a more personalized, individualistic view?

I've heard stories of people feeling as though new ways of thinking were opened up to them upon learning new languages, although it's never been made clear as to what ways of thinking would be associated with each language.

There could be a need for a new classification system here... a way of classifying languages based on how their grammar, construction, sounds, and such influence the psyche. Like MBTI, but designed for languages rather than people.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't imagine how language would not have an impact on thought. Words all have relationshps, cognitive ones that are based in culture and that relate to each other in sound. The words themselves suggests links to other words in this way, coralling your thoughts in certain directions. The same for grammar.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What do you believe is the impact of speaking a particular language on the way that you think and process reality?

Can learning a new language affect the way a person thinks in a similar fashion, possibly allowing them to process things in a way that their native language wouldn't have encouraged?
I have thought about this topic quite a bit, since I speak 3 languages with very different cultural contexts. The effect that language has on my cognition and ability to see nuances in reality/feelings is quite dramatic. There are some concepts and thoughts that can't be conveyed as accurately in one language as with another, probably because there is no real equivalent.

Finally, if indeed languages tend to influence people to think in a particular way, in what ways do you see various languages influencing people?

Could some languages create a more pragmatic or fractured view of reality, for instance, while others instill a more interconnected view, or perhaps a more personalized, individualistic view?

I've heard stories of people feeling as though new ways of thinking were opened up to them upon learning new languages, although it's never been made clear as to what ways of thinking would be associated with each language.

There could be a need for a new classification system here... a way of classifying languages based on how their grammar, construction, sounds, and such influence the psyche. Like MBTI, but designed for languages rather than people.
I don't think that it's that clear-cut. i.e. that a language would influence you COMPLETELY in a certain way. Definitely, there are certain aspects that can be emphasised, but whether you choose to take it on board with you or not is a completely separate matter. Similarly, whether a particular culture chooses to emphasise that particular aspect is a quality of the culture itself, and is not intrinsic to the language.

Nebbykoo, all modern languages are tied to modern concepts. But similarly, all languages are also tied to their past and historical contexts. It would be ridiculous to assert that "modern" language has no relevance to thought, or cognition. For example, while ancient Chinese (wen yan wen) may portray a "different" type of thought, if we look deeply enough into the modern Chinese language, we see that there are similar metaphorical representations - it's just evolved in a way that makes it a "short-cut" of a representation. I've had such conversations before with other people who are bilingual in Chinese/English, and who had a similar background to me (we studied in Chinese schools). That most modern Chinese don't take a literary approach to learning Chinese doesn't mean that the cognitive basis of the language isn't there. It simply means that most people don't vocalise it.

For e.g., in Chinese, the concept of "happiness" has many different representations:
“幸福”
“快乐”
"欢喜”
“开心”
just to name a few. All of their connotations are slightly different, and if we were to look at the literal meanings behind the words, it would explain each connotation. However, modern Chinese use most of these terms inter-changeably, simply because it's convenient. No doubt someone who's learning the language from scratch and cares to ask about the different connotations would gain some emotional insight.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I posted this in the Bernier thread, but it bears repeating in this one.

Several specific examples of how language influences thought:
1. (This is paraphrased from Ben Goertzel)
The Hopi language, [claims Benjamin Lee Whorf], groups future and imaginary into one category, and past and present into another category. Consequently, we [English speakers] perceive a rift between the present and the past, they feel none. And whereas we tend to see the future something definite, largely pre-determined, they tend to perceive it as nebulous and conjectural.

2. (This is from Alfred Bloom) A survey Bloom conducted in Hong Kong to native Chinese speakers, asked about a hypothetical situation wherein the government of Hong Kong passed a law saying that all foreign-born citizens must make weekly reports of their activities to the police. Bloom relates that:
Rather unexpectedly and consistently, subjects reacted, “But the government hasn’t,” “It can’t,” or “It won’t.” “I know the government hasn’t and won’t, but let us imagine that it does or did….” Yet such attempts to lead the subjects to reason about things that they knew could not be the case only served to frustrate them and lead to such exclamations as “We don’t speak/think that way!,” “It’s unnatural,” “It’s unChinese!”…By contrast, American and French subjects, responding to similar questions in their native languages, never seemed to find anything unnatural about them….
The source of these cognitive differences seems to be a result of the differences between Chinese and Indo-European languages. While English and French include structures for accommodating counterfactual statements, Chinese does not.

3. This is from a recent article in Scientific American, by Lera Boroditsky:
I am standing next to a five-year old girl in pormpuraaw, a small
Aboriginal community on the western edge of Cape York in northern Australia. When I ask her to point north, she points precisely and without hesitation. My compass says she is right. Later, back in a lecture hall at Stanford University, I make the same request of an audience of distinguished scholars—winners of science medals and genius prizes. Some of them have come to this very room to hear lectures for more than 40 years. I ask them to close their eyes (so they don’t cheat) and point north. Many refuse; they do not know the answer. Those who do point take a while to think about it and then aim in all possible directions. I have repeated this exercise at Harvard and Princeton and in Moscow, London and Beijing, always with the same results.

A five-year-old in one culture can do something with ease that eminent scientists in other cultures struggle with. This is a big difference in cognitive ability. What could explain it? The surprising answer, it turns out, may be language.
They also repeated this experiment where they brought people to places they'd never been before (not the child, but others from her culture, who speak a language called Kuuk Thaayorre) and asked them to point out North, or whatever. Same results. Even in a completely strange place, the Kuuk Thaayorre speakers could point it out, correctly, in no time; English speakers couldn't.

4. From the same SA article:
For example, my colleague Alice Gaby of the University of California, Berkeley, and I gave Kuuk Thaayorre speakers sets of pictures that showed temporal progressions— a man aging, a crocodile growing, a banana being eaten. We then asked them to arrange the shuffled photographs on the ground to indicate the correct temporal order..... English speakers given this task will arrange the cards so that time proceeds from left to right. Hebrew speakers will tend to lay out the cards from right to left. This shows that writing direction in a language influences how we organize time. The Kuuk Thaayorre, however, did not routinely arrange the cards from left to right or right to left. They arranged them from east to west. That is, when they were seated facing south, the cards went left to right. When they faced north, the cards went from right to left. When they faced east, the cards came toward the body, and so on.

5. Again, from the same article:
In 1983 Alexander Guiora of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor compared three groups of kids growing up with Hebrew,
English or Finnish as their native language. Hebrew marks gender prolifically (even the word “you” is different depending on gender), Finnish has no gender marking and English is somewhere in between. Accordingly, children growing up in a Hebrew-speaking environment figure out their own gender about a year earlier than Finnish-speaking children; English- speaking kids fall in the middle.

Sunny Ghost

In my linguistics anthropology courses, we actually covered this topic. Language very much influences how we think. I can't recall what language this is, but there's a language or culture that groups colors as only black, red and blue, I believe. (Or something to that nature.) Because they've only defined these three different colors, they don't see a difference between green, purple and blue. They're all one and the same. Same goes for reds, oranges, pinks and yellows. They see them all as a similar color.

It's interesting to think that our thought process is limited by our language.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have thought about this topic quite a bit, since I speak 3 languages with very different cultural contexts. The effect that language has on my cognition and ability to see nuances in reality/feelings is quite dramatic. There are some concepts and thoughts that can't be conveyed as accurately in one language as with another, probably because there is no real equivalent.

It certainly seems like you would have had some experience with this. Interesting. Would you say that there are categories of things that can be expressed more effectively in one language, or usually just a few specific concepts that a word doesn't exist for?

I don't think that it's that clear-cut. i.e. that a language would influence you COMPLETELY in a certain way. Definitely, there are certain aspects that can be emphasised, but whether you choose to take it on board with you or not is a completely separate matter. Similarly, whether a particular culture chooses to emphasise that particular aspect is a quality of the culture itself, and is not intrinsic to the language.

Well, of course not completely. Individuals still have their own thought processes, but there might be influences in what thoughts a person is able to express easily, and thus what they say or don't say. And I would consider cultural influence, at least in some cases, to be separate from the influence of a language.

For e.g., in Chinese, the concept of "happiness" has many different representations:
“幸福”
“快乐”
"欢喜”
“开心”
just to name a few. All of their connotations are slightly different, and if we were to look at the literal meanings behind the words, it would explain each connotation. However, modern Chinese use most of these terms inter-changeably, simply because it's convenient. No doubt someone who's learning the language from scratch and cares to ask about the different connotations would gain some emotional insight.

Interesting, once again. One thing that I learned about Chinese when I was analyzing it, was that often larger concepts are built up from smaller concepts. For instance "man" is derived from "person" and "male," and "boy" is derived from "child" and "male." I'm not sure if there are a lot of instances of that in Chinese, but if there are... I can already tell you that that would be my favorite aspect of the language.

If that is a characteristic of Chinese, I'm sure that the ability to look at the components of a word often helps in identifying the nature and meaning of a word, though not always.

2. (This is from Alfred Bloom) A survey Bloom conducted in Hong Kong to native Chinese speakers, asked about a hypothetical situation wherein the government of Hong Kong passed a law saying that all foreign-born citizens must make weekly reports of their activities to the police. Bloom relates that:
The source of these cognitive differences seems to be a result of the differences between Chinese and Indo-European languages. While English and French include structures for accommodating counterfactual statements, Chinese does not.

Couldn't that also be a cultural difference in regard to their comfort in questioning the government? I find it hard to believe that Chinese people can't express the concept of "what if," or prepare contingency plans in the event of an emergency that may be unlikely. I think that was a poorly chosen question, and their response may have been out of discomfort with the idea and denial/rejection of the possibility, rather than an inability to understand it. I can imagine a certain group of people with authoritarian values even here responding in a similar fashion, calling the idea that the government would do something repressive "unpatriotic" or "absurd," calling people who think that way "conspiracy theorists." They should have chosen something less controversial than the idea of the government oppressing citizens in order to test that theory. As it stands, it may only reflect the fact that Chinese people are uncomfortable thinking of their government in a critical light.
3. This is from a recent article in Scientific American, by Lera Boroditsky:
They also repeated this experiment where they brought people to places they'd never been before (not the child, but others from her culture, who speak a language called Kuuk Thaayorre) and asked them to point out North, or whatever. Same results. Even in a completely strange place, the Kuuk Thaayorre speakers could point it out, correctly, in no time; English speakers couldn't.

This one I've heard of... also the one about the card arrangements. That's pretty fascinating, how a sense of direction can be so important in other languages. I have NO sense of direction.

In my linguistics anthropology courses, we actually covered this topic. Language very much influences how we think. I can't recall what language this is, but there's a language or culture that groups colors as only black, red and blue, I believe. (Or something to that nature.) Because they've only defined these three different colors, they don't see a difference between green, purple and blue. They're all one and the same. Same goes for reds, oranges, pinks and yellows. They see them all as a similar color.

I wonder if they can be taught the difference between those colors later on? Are they stuck perceiving them as the same color, or can they be taught new words to describe color? Would their artists be less able to choose a realistic palette for painting a picture, or are they just less able to describe colors?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder if the direction-finding difference comes from the fact that, in one culture, people spend much more time outside interacting with the natural world, while in the other, they do not. I can tell the directions pretty reliably, but only if I have spent some time outside in the location. Indoors, it is much more difficult.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wonder if the direction-finding difference comes from the fact that, in one culture, people spend much more time outside interacting with the natural world, while in the other, they do not. I can tell the directions pretty reliably, but only if I have spent some time outside in the location. Indoors, it is much more difficult.

Oh, I guess I didn't post the specific feature of language that they think results in this. It's the fact that instead of "right" and "left," this language always uses the cardinal directions. Whereas in English the cardinal directions are only for long distances ("Canada is north of the US"), this language uses them for ALL distances. So like instead of saying "Sam is to the left of Mary," they might say "Sam is north of Mary" or whatever. Or instead of "the fork is right of the spoon," they would say, "the fork is southeast of the spoon" (or whatever direction it actually is). So they always have to be aware of which way is north, etc because their language requires it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I guess I didn't post the specific feature of language that they think results in this. It's the fact that instead of "right" and "left," this language always uses the cardinal directions. Whereas in English the cardinal directions are only for long distances ("Canada is north of the US"), this language uses them for ALL distances. So like instead of saying "Sam is to the left of Mary," they might say "Sam is north of Mary" or whatever. Or instead of "the fork is right of the spoon," they would say, "the fork is southeast of the spoon" (or whatever direction it actually is). So they always have to be aware of which way is north, etc because their language requires it.
Interesting, and thanks for the clarification. I tend to give driving/walking directions using the cardinal directions, e.g. "go north on Elm street for 1 mile, then turn west onto Carroll St.", and am always surprised when people seem confused by this. Have you any idea how this culture without words for left and right would distinguish one hand, foot, ear, etc. from another?

I have always enjoyed language and find this topic fascinating. One area I have wondered about in particular is the effect of language on religious/spiritual traditions, but I have not had time to do any meaningful research on this.

N

NPcomplete

Reminds me of how in 1984, the evil guys tried to reduce language to a few words to have a better control on humans.

When I think in French, I am more rational and mathematical (not the correct word) than when I think in English.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Reminds me of how in 1984, the evil guys tried to reduce language to a few words to have a better control on humans.

I read that book. While I'm not sure it would be possible to control language to THAT degree, I do believe it could be influenced to a certain extent, via rhetoric or political correctness.
When I think in French, I am more rational and mathematical (not the correct word) than when I think in English.

Do you mean "methodical"?

N

NPcomplete

Do you mean "methodical"?

Aaah yes much much better word. :) (See? I wasn't thinking in French at the time.)

It will be difficult to control language to that degree but I don't think it will be impossible. It's a bit like how certain words get popular (not just memes) and some other beautiful words of yore get forgotten. Hmm , I suppose an example would be how some people use "awesome" and "epic" to describe a whole variety of things. I wonder if this phenomenon happening on a larger scale and to a larger extent could modify the mind. I need to think more about this.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It will be difficult to control language to that degree but I don't think it will be impossible. It's a bit like how certain words get popular (not just memes) and some other beautiful words of yore get forgotten. Hmm , I suppose an example would be how some people use "awesome" and "epic" to describe a whole variety of things. I wonder if this phenomenon happening on a larger scale and to a larger extent could modify the mind. I need to think more about this.

I believe that people can collectively decide to abandon certain modes of speech in favor of others, certainly, but I don't really believe that one group of people could completely control language. Perhaps a conflict between two groups could impact a language, if they both tried to impact it. I also question whether shaping speech in the way that 1984 did would be desirable even for a totalitarian government.

N

NPcomplete

I believe that people can collectively decide to abandon certain modes of speech in favor of others, certainly, but I don't really believe that one group of people could completely control language. Perhaps a conflict between two groups could impact a language, if they both tried to impact it. I also question whether shaping speech in the way that 1984 did would be desirable even for a totalitarian government.

Yes the more I think about it, the more I find it difficult to believe that one group could completely control language. Some languages, however, are slowly bowing down to other languages (French adopting English words, for instance) so I wonder if one day there'll be a "central" language; and if so, will that significantly increase the likelihood of language-mind control.

I like to think of dystopia.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Interesting, and thanks for the clarification. I tend to give driving/walking directions using the cardinal directions, e.g. "go north on Elm street for 1 mile, then turn west onto Carroll St.", and am always surprised when people seem confused by this. Have you any idea how this culture without words for left and right would distinguish one hand, foot, ear, etc. from another?

Hmmm, good question. I'm not sure, and it wasn't mentioned in the article. I would guess they might say "my southeast ear hurts" but I could be completely wrong. :laugh:

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
What I know about language and the mind. (from empirical data)

In order to properly learn a foreign language, you must be exposed to it at a very young age.
2 scenarios can result from this.
a) You keep using the language you have learned (for instance English, because you'll see cartoons when you're a kid), resulting in better insight, compared to others who have learned it later in life.

b) You don't use the language you have learned or have been exposed to. But if you try to learn it later, let's say after 10 years, you will still have a major head start compared to others who haven't been exposed to it. (for instance having a foreign parent who will speak German for a while, and then make the transition to English and stop speaking German when you're around)

What is the impact of language on the mind? Does it make you smarter? Does it change anything?
No, it doesn't change much. It's a simple matter of absorbing information at the proper age, most people can do that.

The only difference I noticed is that in order to speak English you must think in English. You start thinking in 2 languages frequently and it's quite funny.

Languages obviously differ, in Romanian the words have quite a lot of meanings.
For instance ass means ass, but it also means back.

So saying "in the ass of the classroom" = "in the back of the classroom"

Words are more humor friendly, due to their meaning.

For instance, a teacher told us a story which was ridiculously funny because of the words he used...without wanting.
He said " I was driving my car and a van hit me in the ass " :laugh: Obviously no one thought of ass meaning back...and everybody laughed like crazy :laugh:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also question whether shaping speech in the way that 1984 did would be desirable even for a totalitarian government.

Well, it was practiced to a considerable extend. LTI is pretty good reading if you are interested in the mechanisms behind it.

Wikipedia on LTI:
LTI - Lingua Tertii Imperii: Notizbuch eines Philologen (1947) is a book by Victor Klemperer, Professor of Literature at the University of Dresden. The title, half in Latin and half in German, translates to The Language of the Third Reich: A Philologist's Notebook.

Lingua Tertii Imperii studies the way that Nazi propaganda altered the German language to inculcate people with National-Socialist ideas. The book was written under the form of personal notes which Klemperer wrote in his diary, especially from the rise of the Nazi regime in 1933, and even more after 1935, when Klemperer, stripped of his academic title because he was Jewish (under the Nuremberg Laws), had to work in a factory and started to use his diary as a personal exit to his frustrating and miserable life.

LTI shows a German language twisted into a Newspeak-like language. It also demonstrates how the new language came to be naturally spoken by most of the population. On the reverse, the text also emphasizes the idea that resistance to oppression begins by questioning the constant use of buzzwords. Both the book and its author unexpectedly survived the war. LTI was first published in 1947 in Germany.

It underlines odd constructions of words intended to give a "scientific" or neutral aspect to otherwise heavily engaged discourses, as well as significant every-day behaviour.

This quote from the book summarizes the main idea quite well:
No, the most powerful influence was exerted neither by individual speeches nor by articles or flyers, posters or flags; it was not achieved by things which one had to absorb by conscious thought or conscious emotions.

Instead Nazism permeated the flesh and blood of the people through single words, idioms and sentence structures which were imposed on them in a million repetitions and taken on board mechanically and unconsciously. . . language does not simply write and think for me, it also increasingly dictates my feelings and governs my entire spiritual being the more unquestioningly and unconsciously I abandon myself to it.

And what happens if the cultivated language is made up of poisonous elements or has been made the bearer of poisons? Words can be like tiny doses of arsenic: they are swallowed unnoticed, appear to have no effect, and then after a little time the toxic reaction sets in after all.

The Third Reich coined only a very small number of the words in its language, perhaps - indeed probably - none at all. . . But it changes the value of words and the frequency of their occurrence, it makes common property out of what was previously the preserve of an individual or a tiny group, it commandeers for the party that which was previously common property and in the process steeps words and groups of words and sentence structures with its poison.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, it was practiced to a considerable extend. LTI is pretty good reading if you are interested in the mechanisms behind it.

Wikipedia on LTI:

This quote from the book summarizes the main idea quite well:

Interesting. It reminds me of the way political correctness and the media seem to encourage particular perspectives on things. They didn't completely change the language, but they did push a particular perspective onto people using media and propaganda that most people accepted. It wasn't total re-engineering, just subtle manipulation. Books from before the campaign started were still quite readable. But it was still effective. If Nazi Germany is any indication, it wouldn't even be necessary to eliminate the words for concepts that didn't serve the state, it would only be necessary to make them irrelevant in the common discourse by advocating perspectives that invalidated them. Far less control is actually needed to keep the majority of people in line, if you're willing to tolerate the existence of a few criminals who will need to be found and executed or something.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is so long it might make your eyes glaze over right away, but I find it very interesting and clearly related to the investigation of cognition and the mind. This is unlike feral children stories I have seen before, because it is about the absence of language, not the absence of all socialization. Its got that moving "Miracle Worker" moment also. I've chopped it up, please follow the link for the complete story, and check out the original interview.
Life Without Language
Posted by gregdowney
July 21, 2010
neuroanthropology.net
[...]
The rare case of individuals without language offers some potential window in on life across the intellectual Rubicon, if we had developed mentally without immersing ourselves in the shared symbols and communicative reality of language. Although we tend to think that only those who are profoundly intellectually disabled, criminally neglected or raised by non-humans fail to learn language, in fact, adolescents and adults without language may not be as rare as we think. Author Susan Schaller has written about the case of a profoundly deaf Mexican immigrant who grew up in a house with hearing parents who could not teach him sign language in her book, Man without Words.

The website, Works and Conversations, has a discussion of Schaller’s story, how she became interested in sign language through a fluke accident, but especially her work with Ildefonso, who had grown up without learning sign language or any other form of communication. The piece, Leap of Faith, the Story of a Contemporary Miracle, was written by Richard Whittaker in 2009 (although I only recently came across it). It’s a fascinating interview, and, although I may disagree with Schaller in certain ways, I think her story of trying to teach Ildefonso, not merely sign language, but the symbolic process itself, is absolutely fascinating.
Schaller meets Ildefonso
In the interview, Schaller describes how she originally became fascinated with sign language, when she happened into the very first lectures held in sign language by Lou Fant in 1972 in a course called ‘Visual Poetry.’ Hit by a catering truck near the end of high school, Schaller had been excused from her classes so she took the opportunity to sneak into college classes that sounded interesting at Cal State Northridge. She was so moved by what she saw that she wound up joining a volunteer signing drama group even though, as she puts it, she knew three signs when she signed up.

If you want more of Schaller’s story, I suggest you go to the original interview, or better yet, her book, but Schaller eventually wound up quite committed to signing. Asked to work as a sign interpreter, Schaller found herself in a class for ‘Reading skills’ that was little more than a warehouse for all the deaf students, no matter what their educational needs. In the midst of a swarm of signing and movement, she spotted an individual, clearly deaf, who was also clearly unable to sign:
I went to the door to walk out and was actually turning the handle to leave, when I see this man who looked so frightened. He was holding himself as if he were wearing a straightjacket. He was backed up in a corner, protecting himself. I saw that he was studying mouths, he was studying people. Even though he was frightened, he was still watching: what is happening, what is happening?
She observed as another aide, one who couldn’t sign very well, tried to reach the frightened man. When the other assistant gave up, Schaller tried to engage the man and his true situation started to dawn on her:
I walked up to him and signed, “Hello. My name is Susan.” He tried to copy that and did a sloppy rendition of “Hello, my name is Susan.” Obviously he didn’t know what he was doing. It wasn’t language. And I was shocked.

He looked Mayan and I thought, well, if he knew Mexican sign language, he wouldn’t try to copy. That’s not a normal thing to do, even if you don’t know the language. I couldn’t walk away. I slowly figured out that this man had no language. As I said, I could see that he was very intelligent. I could see he was trying very hard. I was twenty-two years old. I had no idea of what I was doing. I was faced with how to communicate the idea of language to someone without language.
The man she would call, ‘Ildefonso,’ had figured out how to survive, in part by simply copying those around him, but he had no idea what language was. Schaller found that he observed people’s lips and mouth moving, unaware that they were making sound, unaware that there was sound, trying to figure out what was happening from the movements of the mouths. She felt that he was frustrated because he thought everyone else could figure things out from looking at each others’ moving mouths.

One problem for Schaller’s efforts was that Ildefonso’s survival strategy, imitation, actually got in the way of him learning how to sign because it short-circuited the possibility of conversation. As she puts it, Ildefonso acted as if he had a kind of visual echolalia (we sometimes call it ‘echopraxia’), simply copying the actions he saw:
He’d just try to form signs and copy what I was doing. But his facial expression was always, is this what I’m supposed to do?

That question was on his face all of the time. It was terribly frustrating. It went on hour after hour, for days and days and days. Then I had an idea. If I died tonight, I may have had only one truly brilliant thought in my life. What was it that attracted me to this man? His intelligence and his studiousness, the fact he was still trying to figure things out-those two things.

I decided to stop talking to him. Instead, I taught an invisible student. I set up a chair, and I started being the teacher to an invisible student in an empty chair. Then I became the student. I would get into the other chair and the student would answer the teacher. I did this over and over and over. And I ignored him. I stopped looking at him.
Even with the ‘brilliant idea,’ the road ahead was hard, and Schaller talks about wondering when one of them was going to give up. Finally, they had a breakthrough moment which I want to quote at length because it really is a remarkable story (I got goosebumps from reading it):
What happened is that I saw a movement. I stopped. I was talking to an empty chair, but out of my peripheral vision I saw something move. I look at Ildefonso and he had just become rigid! He actually sat up in his chair and became rigid. His hands were flat on the table and his eyes were wide. His facial expression was different from any I’d seen. It was just wide with amazement!

And then he started-it was the most emotional moment with another human being, I think, in my life so that even now, after all these years, I’m choking up [pauses]-he started pointing to everything in the room, and this is amazing to me! I’ve thought about this for years. It’s not having language that separates us from other animals, it’s because we love it! All of a sudden, this twenty-seven-year-old man-who, of course, had seen a wall and a door and a window before-started pointing to everything. He pointed to the table. He wanted me to sign table. He wanted the symbol. He wanted the name for table. And he wanted the symbol, the sign, for window.

The amazing thing is that the look on his face was as if he had never seen a window before. The window became a different thing with a symbol attached to it. [emphasis added, GD] But it’s not just a symbol. It’s a shared symbol. He can say “window” to someone else tomorrow who he hasn’t even met yet! And they will know what a window is. There’s something magical that happens between humans and symbols and the sharing of symbols.

That was his first “Aha!” He just went crazy for a few seconds, pointing to everything in the room and signing whatever I signed. Then he collapsed and started crying, and I don’t mean just a few tears. He cradled his head in his arms on the table and the table was shaking loudly from his sobbing. Of course, I don’t know what was in his head, but I’m just guessing he saw what he had missed for twenty-seven years.
Schaller argues that this is the ‘first breakthrough about what language is’: “Oh, everything has a name!” (from her account).

The account is powerful and moving, I find, and Schaller says that it changed both of their lives. For Ildefonso, he didn’t just learn that ‘things have names’ (at least in a given linguistic community), he simultaneously changed the way he thought and joined a community of people who can think in ways that are intimately tied to each other. The breakthrough was both internal and external, simultaneously cognitive and social.

For Schaller, the experience stuck with her, and she eventually sought out work on language-less adults. She couldn’t find anything, so she sent a letter to Oliver Sachs, who much eventually undergo apotheosis as the patron saint of the quirky and well-written account of psychopathology and neurological injury. Sachs wanted to meet her and told her, ‘You must write this down! In DETAIL!’ Sachs eventually wrote the preface to her book about Ildefonso.
The plight of the language-less
[...]

There are examples of communities of deaf people spontaneously inventing new sign languages, but the case of a profoundly deaf individual in a hearing community, isolated from other individuals struggling to communicate visually, would offer little opportunity for this kind of innovation (see, for example, the case of Nicaraguan Sign Language, discussed here and here). Deprived of communication and symbolic interaction, it’s unclear how a personal language could really develop the stability or systematicity it would need to become a true language (Wittgenstein, for example, says that the idea of a private language is incoherent).

What is it like to live without language? Unfortunately, Ildefonso doesn’t help us too much with that:
It’s another frustration that Ildefonso doesn’t want to talk about it. For him, that was the dark time. Whenever I ask him, and I’ve asked him many, many times over the years, he always starts out with the visual representation of an imbecile: his mouth drops, his lower lip drops, and he looks stupid. He does something nonsensical with his hands like, “I don’t know what’s going on.” He always goes back to “I was stupid.” It doesn’t matter how many times I tell him, no, you weren’t exposed to language and… The closest I’ve ever gotten is he’ll say, “Why does anyone want to know about this? This is the bad time.” What he wants to talk about is learning language.
[...]
The role of language in cognition
There’s really no way to discuss the long and complicated philosophical tradition of discussing the relation between language and cognition without being glib and superficial, but, happily, I’m pretty adept at glib and superficial, so that won’t stop us. A number of philosophers, including Michael Dummet, have offered ‘strong’ theories of language’s role in thought. Their ‘language-first’ approaches argue to varying degrees that certain kinds of thought, or even reflective thought as a whole, is only possible once a community-wide practice of communication through language occurs. We can find strong and weak variants in the work of theorists like William Calvin, Merlin Donald and Daniel Dennett.

Language-first models predict that thought is more or less limited by the absence of language, the strongest suggesting that most of thought would be disrupted, and posit a definitive break in the forms of cognition available once human had produced language. The language-first approach also generally suggests that cognitive capacities vary with one’s language ability, meaning that not all linguistic communities likely have the same cognitive capacities. One noteworthy example is work on the Pirahã, a Brazilian Native American group whose language lacks numbers according to many researchers (see Frank et al. 2008, or a popular press version at The Independent or see the collection of Pirahã-related links at Language Log).

In contrast, opposing ‘thought-first’ arguments suggest that language expresses thought rather than being a precondition for thought occurring. For example, Jerry Fodor has argued that a prior ‘language-of-thought,’ sometimes referred to as ‘mentalese,’ underlies language ability, and partially explains similarities among languages. The thought-first model, however, can develop a problem of infinite regress, as it’s unclear how the ‘language-of-thought’ itself arises except from a prior set of symbols.

In the corner of the ‘thought-first’ argument, we could site a range of empirical evidence, such as the work of psychologists Susan Hespos and Elizabeth Spelke. Hespos and Spelke (2004), for example, found that five-month-old infants born to English-speaking parents perceived object relations concepts that were not highlighted in English, and that their parents did not see as perceptually salient (a relationship of ‘tight-’ and ‘loose-fitting’ that their research had shown to be salient to Korean speakers, whose language does highlight this distinction). That is, the infants in the English-language environment seemed to develop a pre-linguistic concept that was not supported by their first language, and thus the distinction atrophied and disappeared from their perceptions (much as sounds that are not featured in one’s language become less perceptually vivid after six months of age, eventually becoming hard to perceive).

In anthropology, Edward Sapir and Benjamin Whorf are frequently credited with bringing into sharp focus the role of language in shaping perception and cognition, although they arguably offered a less deterministic account of the relationship than some language-first philosophers (see our posts, Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is right… sort of? and Sapir-Whorf hypothesis was right… about adults, for more of a discussion of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis). Their approach suggests that language biases perception, affecting how people are capable of perceiving, making some ideas or even qualities of the phenomenal world, more or less difficult to perceive. Coupled with work like that of Hespos and Spelke, the work on language biasing perception suggests that pre-linguistic perception is actually more attuned to sensory discrimination that may later disappear if not buttressed by language; that is, the pre-linguistic conceptual world is perhaps more attuned to certain gradations, less likely to overlook intermediate or uncategorized sensations.

When we actually look at the evidence in Schaller’s account, we find that neither a ‘language-first’ nor a ‘thought-first’ model seems to capture the inconsistency of Ildefonso’s conceptual capacities. Schaller suggests that his ‘brain was kept alive with problem solving,’ figuring out how to get money, whether by begging or working, find food and shelter, and interact with people who were unable to communicate with him.

Ironically, he seemed to understand certain sorts of symbolic processes, such as performative identity. Schaller says he apparently understood, for example, ‘macho behavior’ because he ‘could see that.’ But other sorts of processes – she says things Ildefonso ‘couldn’t see’ – they remained a mystery; she offers ‘history’ and immigration patrols in the US as two examples. In fact, of course, the division is not really visible-invisible (after all, border police are quite visible when they arrest a person), nor is it symbolic-non-symbolic (macho behaviour, after all, is a symbolically rich performance). Rather, Ildefonso’s difficulties and his successful abilities suggest to me that our own category of ‘symbol’ glosses cognitive capacities that are not all identically difficult, nor are they all dependent upon either shared symbol or language. That is, our concept of ‘symbol’ may, in fact, blind us to the very divisions that Ildefonso’s disability sketches out; not all symbols are equally symbolic, we might say. The degree of arbitrariness, for example, or the hierarchical nature of some symbols — premised on other symbols — might make them particularly opaque to the language-less.

For example, Schaller had the hardest time communicating to Ildefonso the concept of ‘idea’ itself. She discusses her attempt to mime ‘having an idea’:
How could a languageless man have any idea of what is happening in the head? But I was just hoping that there were enough cultural clues, and he was an observant man. I was grasping at straws. So I would mime having this idea in my head with my fists close to my head and then I would throw it out at your head, as my hands opened. Then I’d become the student and I’d catch it [laughs] and put it in my head.

I did as many variations as I could, again, over and over-hours, days, hours, days. Frustrating-the most frustrating task in my life! I’d look at him every once in a while and sometimes he looked tired, sometimes he looked frustrated, sometimes he looked as if I were crazy.
Of course, from some perspectives, she was crazy. She was miming a particularly obtuse embedded metaphor in English usage: that ideas are a substance in the head that can pop into existence and then be passed to other people’s heads, which is really experienced in the other person as an idea. On so many levels, the ‘idea-is-an-object-in-head-can-be-passed-to-another-head’ is pretty absurd, yet she was trying to use it to get a languageless man to understand the very possibility of language.

If it doesn’t sound absurd to you, think about it for a second; the very fact that Schaller was struggling so hard to get Ildefonso to perceive this demonstrates how long the chain of metaphoric assumptions is to get to this cultural common sense. Schaller wasn’t just asking Ildefonso to learn a name for a thing, she was asking him to recognize he had ‘ideas,’ conceive of ideas as things, locate ideas in his head, understand that ideas were different from every other kind of thing (popping into existence, for example), imagine that ideas could be thrown… You get the ‘idea.’ Damn weird thing, language. Makes you think all kind o’ crazy things.

Even after language, however, some ways of seeing the world were difficult to grasp. Schaller catches up with Ildefonso much later, visiting him as he’s working as a gardener, and likes to tease him by asking questions about when things happened.

However, there are a few things he doesn’t think differently about. I try to meet him once a year and I always ask him, “When was the last time we saw each other?” I ask him a “when” question because it tickles me. Time was the hardest thing for him to learn. And he always prefers to say “the winter season” or “the Christmas time.” He wants to point to a season or to a holiday. It’s not a cognitive problem. To this day, he thinks it’s weird that we count time the way we do. He can do it, but he doesn’t like it. Think about it. For twenty-seven years, he followed the sun. He followed cows. He followed the seasons. It’s that rain-time of the year.

As the interviewer points out, many languages do not treat time as an abstract, spatialized, undifferentiated flow but highlight differentiation, seasonality and sequence. Some conceptualize time as necessarily sequential (today is not like tomorrow) or as inherently differentiated (summer is fundamentally not like winter). Time is a classic example discussed by Whorf (1956) to highlight the links between culture, language and perception, and even though his account of time has been criticized on a number of grounds, anthropologists still tend to agree that understandings of time can differ, and that Western treatment of time as a kind of flow through undifferentiated, measurable durations is just one version or inflection of the sense of time with its own distinctive emphases.

< complete post >

Last edited:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm... I found something interesting about a person who spoke three languages. What do you think of this commentary on the character of each language?

Another significant influence in her growth as a writer, Nin felt, was her knowledge of three different cultures and languages. She absorbed the essences of French, English, and Spanish even though she wrote largely in English. According to Nin, she received from her Spanish background -- asceticism, fervor, physical and mental passion, the color and vividness that dramatizes everything, the fusion of body and mind, love for beauty and gesture, comedy and tragedy; from the English -- critical tools, analysis, lucidity, awareness of the senses and subjection to them, the separation of body from head with the emphasis on keen, selective thinking and discipline of the body-machine; and from the French -- a soft, misty quality, not treacherously musical nor irrevocably clear but poised somewhere between, and tasteful selectivity, a resistance to impulse, deliberate transfiguration. She adds in her note, The Spanish people live for an idea, the English die for an idea, and the French fight for it. I imagine that Nin would do all three.

Her description of English seems to match my hunch about what sort of language English is, but I'm not certain about the other two.

I have always had the vague feeling that English was a somewhat "cold" language compared to the Romance languages, though I can't really say why it should seem colder even when expressing emotions, since it can clearly evoke them.