• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Ti headache - how do you handle it?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There seems to be something, let us call it the Ti headache, that makes you cringe and go up the walls when somebody uses an abusive quantity of logical fallacies in his or her argumentation.
I personally got an overdose of this today listening to a round of pundits on tv discuss the future political and economic developement of Egypt. What made me want to throw something at the screen was not that, naturally, I disagreed with some of the positions taken, but rather that so much of the argumentation of just about everybody at the table - including those I was mostly in agreement with - was based on false comparisons and premature conclusions. They were comitting just about every sin in the debating manual.

In a face to face debate with somebody you can address these things. But what if you are the passive receiver (reader, tv/radio audience) of something like this? Besides the obvious, changing channels and trying to forget about it, are there any strategies one could use? How do you deal with the almost physical pain it causes? I'm not only referring to political commentary but to any sort of Ti rape that so often causes this sort of headache. Experiences? Suggestions? Solidarity at least? *attempts puppy dog eyes*

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is that why I've been getting headaches lately? I thought it was allergies, but there has been a whole bunch of logic abuse surrounding me lately... (and it burrrrnnnnnsssss)

S

Sniffles

Humour helps.

[youtube="OcvnUyOzh6Q"]Lewis Black on Ti headaches[/youtube]

:laugh:

N

NPcomplete

I usually walk out and go rant to my friend or I just forget it.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is that why I've been getting headaches lately? I thought it was allergies, but there has been a whole bunch of logic abuse surrounding me lately... (and it burrrrnnnnnsssss)

Sounds like class action lawsuit material. Now whom do we sue?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I either rant about it or find someone who agrees with the horseshit and berate them. Or I just ignore it.

Greta

MBTI Type
INTe
How do you deal with the almost physical pain it causes? I'm not only referring to political commentary but to any sort of Ti rape that so often causes this sort of headache.
There's nothing "almost" about it. I feel the mercury rising with each non sequitur and false analogy. This shit has kept me up frothing at night. :ng_mad:

find someone who agrees with the horseshit and berate them.
This made me lol.

I usually just tune out the source of abuse. If it's right in front of me (e.g., I hear some poor sap repeating the unsanitized poo doubtlessly picked up from these "pundits"), I do a cost benefit analysis and either tear it up if it's worth bothering or deflect it with humor if not.

T

ThatGirl

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I cant stand watching say...someone negotiating the sale of a car. Other people in arguments, where the point is clearly being missed, not represented properly, or the communication is just not happening and people aren't listening to each other.

Witnessing these types of interactions drive me up the wall, much with the same type of reaction you have described. It is absolutely fingernails on a chalkboard.

Sometimes I will step in and say something, if I have no authority to do so, I have to stop listening because of how worked up and tense I can get.

Greta

MBTI Type
INTe
As for medication, I seek out a Ti-friendly source to frolic and forget.

The_World_As_Will

Turn off the television? or find other, consistent sources of news... or just rant about it to a friend that always helps. Perhaps don't hold such high expectations for pundits, their job is to talk and give commentary, I don't think logical consistency or argumentation comes with the job.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I cant stand watching say...someone negotiating the sale of a car. Other people in arguments, where the point is clearly being missed, not represented properly, or the communication is just not happening and people aren't listening to each other.

Witnessing these types of interactions drive me up the wall, much with the same type of reaction you have described. It is absolutely fingernails on a chalkboard.

Sometimes I will step in and say something, if I have no authority to do so, I have to stop listening because of how worked up and tense I can get.

Makes you want to slap them in the face, doesn't it? And I'm not a violent person.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Perhaps don't hold such high expectations for pundits, their job is to talk and give commentary, I don't think logical consistency or argumentation comes with the job.

Well, but it does. It's just that we're so used to their illogic that we see it as okay, as part of the job; but really, as public sources of information and opinions, they have a civil responsibility to try and make sense. That they don't, therefore, will always be egregious.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds like class action lawsuit material. Now whom do we sue?

Indeed, but the problem is far too large and we cannot sue the universe. It's far better to fire logic lasers of doom at our targets and hope that eventually makes some progress or at least that it does not get us slapped to the other side of the room with illogical flames of fury.

S

Sniffles

Come to think of it, the past few days have been one big Ti headache for me. :BangHead:

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
There seems to be something, let us call it the Ti headache, that makes you cringe and go up the walls when somebody uses an abusive quantity of logical fallacies in his or her argumentation.
I personally got an overdose of this today listening to a round of pundits on tv discuss the future political and economic developement of Egypt. What made me want to throw something at the screen was not that, naturally, I disagreed with some of the positions taken, but rather that so much of the argumentation of just about everybody at the table - including those I was mostly in agreement with - was based on false comparisons and premature conclusions. They were comitting just about every sin in the debating manual.

In a face to face debate with somebody you can address these things. But what if you are the passive receiver (reader, tv/radio audience) of something like this? Besides the obvious, changing channels and trying to forget about it, are there any strategies one could use? How do you deal with the almost physical pain it causes? I'm not only referring to political commentary but to any sort of Ti rape that so often causes this sort of headache. Experiences? Suggestions? Solidarity at least? *attempts puppy dog eyes*

Ive not figured out what else to do other than turning it off or closing the book/blog/etc.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yes, that kind of thing makes me want to rip my eyes out. You've got to let it out. If you can't do that face-to-face, find another outlet. Spelling out the logical inconsistencies in some sort of public forum helps me feel better, and solidarity is Ti-headache codeine.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Makes you want to slap them in the face, doesn't it? And I'm not a violent person.

Yes it does. It's terrible but I often feel an urge to become violent. *bag over head*

I experience this frequently--far too frequently--with my ex and my niece (I live with both of them). I mean things just completely break down. What they say to me makes no sense and...and...ah--I'm getting a headache just remembering some of these exchanges. It just makes no sense and I short-circuit my mind by trying to make sense of the nonsense. I try to escape in my headphones and a glass of wine. I'm going to end up hurting myself in frustration!