• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hatred- useful or poisonous?

redacted

hatred is never useful IMO.

acknowledging your own feelings of hatred is definitely useful, though. and it won't go away until you work through it.

i've only felt hatred towards three people, in two of those cases it lasted a month or two, and in the third case (my mother), it lasted from about age 5 to age 18. in all cases, my hatred has eventually turned into pity, a much easier emotion to deal with.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hate is essentially how we stay alive.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I don't think people here hated... more like just ranting... venting not hating.

What use is hatred? *shrugs* Fuel for improvement is all I can think of. Hatred for self... desire to better oneself... hatred for another... desire to one-up them? Beyond that, not overly useful in my opinion. Perhaps such have uses ages ago... group banding together to defeat another group for survival.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Hatred is useful for example when I really cannot tell somebody who is being mean to me that I don't want to have anything to do with them. I can express myself to them negatively only when I am feeling angry and when I feel like I hate them.

So, hate is sometimes essential for me to get rid of people who take advantage of me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What use is hatred? *shrugs* Fuel for improvement is all I can think of. Hatred for self... desire to better oneself... hatred for another... desire to one-up them? Beyond that, not overly useful in my opinion. Perhaps such have uses ages ago... group banding together to defeat another group for survival.

Exactly how and why do you figure that this principle has somehow changed and no longer applies in the modern times?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
That which forces division from our shared identity is certainly evil.

redacted

Hate is essentially how we stay alive.

what a terrible way to live. i would think that you, as a "rational", would see that self-love and self-acceptance would be a much more fulfilling way to get through your day.

you hate everyone around you because they don't try to understand you. why even care about them? it's just a huge drain of resources...

That which forces division from our shared identity is certainly evil.

so true.

coughINFJcough

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Evolutionarily speaking hatred is useful because it keeps people away from things that could be dangerous or harmful to them and strengthens ingroup bonds :nerd:

Socially anymore? The same instinct is used to keep groups apart still- even though it is no longer necissary or even beneficial for survival :( It's often used as a self preservation instinct still- though more psychological- if someone really grates on us and we develop a strong dislike, or even hatred, of them we will tend to avoid them or at least shut them out- this can go overboard when people become obsessed with the people they hate though, and live and breathe for the chance at vengance.

That's just my observations though :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what a terrible way to live. i would think that you, as a "rational", would see that self-love and self-acceptance would be a much more fulfilling way to get through your day.

you hate everyone around you because they don't try to understand you. why even care about them? it's just a huge drain of resources...

We were never talking about self-love, we were talking about hating others, which is entirely different.

Example scenarios:

Scenario 1: I refuse to change for other people because I like the way I am, but I hate others for not accepting me and not wanting to be like me.

Scenario 2: I wish to succeed and survive, others cannot be trusted or others are resisting amongst my ambition or survival, so hating and thus fighting them -- breaking through the barrier -- is the path to the goal.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We were never talking about self-love, we were talking about hating others, which is entirely different.

Example scenarios:

Scenario 1: I refuse to change for other people because I like the way I am, but I hate others for not accepting me and not wanting to be like me.

if others dislike you that could be a sign :whistling:

otherwise, you can't hate others for not accepting you if you do not accept them

Scenario 2: I wish to succeed and survive, others cannot be trusted or others are resisting amongst my ambition or survival, so hating and thus fighting them -- breaking through the barrier -- is the path to the goal.

but isn't cooperation a better way to succeed? :huh: and hatred tends to blind people into not seeing all of the possibilities or nuances of a situation :rolleyes: think about it ;)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Socially anymore? The same instinct is used to keep groups apart still- even though it is no longer necissary or even beneficial for survival :(

I'd like to ask you this same question quoted below:

Exactly how and why do you figure that this principle has somehow changed and no longer applies in the modern times?

Do you not think spreading hatred is useful during war when you are fighting to protect the survival of your society's existence?

My first (and entirely valid and reasonable, when you think about it) instinct is to slaughter any unwelcome outsider who I believe threatens my territory.

redacted

refusing to change is fine.

hating others for not accepting you is stupid. i never said you had to like them. but hate takes energy. and it won't change anything. if anything, the hatred you project is just making them accept you less. instead of using the energy for hatred, why not use it for something that can make you happy?

and hating others for not wanting to be like you is also stupid. and hypocritical. you don't want to be like them, right? well, don't expect them to want to be a depressed immature non-functional boy afraid to leave his house and incapable of having relationships. sure, you're smart. but direct some of it inward. if you don't like how things are, come up with strategies to change things. realistic ones. explore your hatred. figure out how it's a coping mechanism. develop better coping strategies.

just sitting there and hating people isn't gonna make you any happier. it's actually gonna make you more sad. think of the opportunity cost. stop feeling so sorry for yourself; it doesn't change anything.

hating is obviously unnecessary in that scenario. i don't even have to explain myself. you know you just threw it in there and twisted the definition.

i know you get my viewpoint. and i know you know it's right. and i know you're gonna disagree with me anyway.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd like to ask you this same question quoted below:

read my first post in the thread- a few above this ;) I already addressed your question :)

Do you not think spreading hatred is useful during war when you are fighting to protect the survival of your society's existence?

My first (and entirely valid and reasonable, when you think about it) instinct is to slaughter any unwelcome outsider who I believe threatens my territory.

no- hatred is blind- blindness is not a benefit in war or otherwise- if you are too busy focusing on the mistakes and faults of others you will not be aware of your own mistakes

;) and how to you know that the outsider would not be beneficial to your society? an open mind is a good thing- it brings you more opportunities! :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I've ever 'hated' anyone or anything so much that it consumes me. I might really dislike certain ideologies, philosophies, things, concepts, etc, but I don't think I've hated specific people - or if I have, it's just been a very momentarily feeling and I'll work through all of it and realize it's sometimes a reflection on myself, and MY ego being hurt, or whatever. Do I have complete disrespect/distaste for a lot of people out there? Sure. But definitely not hate. And, I don't interact with any of those people anyway.

Hate seems more like an active focus to me, and I think it can easily move beyond just being a temporary feeling to become an action, and a state of mind - The person making a conscious choice to direct his energies towards fostering that hate. And that leaves less available energy for doing anything else, or being anyone else. In effect, the hate then rules the person. Then the person simply gets stuck in a holding pattern, because the person is spending much/most of his time in his mind, actively hating someone or something, rather than doing something with his life to make *himself* happy.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hating is obviously unnecessary in that scenario. i don't even have to explain myself. you know you just threw it in there and twisted the definition.

Hate is a way of saying you're not going to let yourself be taken advantage of.

i know you get my viewpoint.

I'm afraid I don't. Please elaborate.

I do not understand what you mean by how hatred of others means a lack of self-love. A lack of self-love would indicate that you have no will to survive and therefore no reason to hate.

;) and how to you know that the outsider would not be beneficial to your society? an open mind is a good thing- it brings you more opportunities! :)

Why discover opportunities when you can invent them yourself?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
because you can't do everything yourself- that's why cooperation is necissary and hatred is not beneficial! :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It's too bad you think this. It's entirely possible to not be taken advantage of, stick to your guns, still be pleasant, and also not hate the other person in the process.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
because you can't do everything yourself- that's why cooperation is necissary and hatred is not beneficial! :)

Cooperation of the people within your group, yes. But should we honestly trust the likes of an outside party and risk our own existence? Do you not think that groups should function independently from one another? And for purposes of keeping peace, do you not think that groups should just leave each other alone?

redacted

no, saying you're not going to let yourself be taken advantage of is a way of saying you're not going to let yourself be taken advantage of.

hate is entirely different. and overboard. if you don't trust someone, don't trust them. fine. if you don't want to, don't depend on anyone (ha). hating them is a step further. a pointless step, strategically and emotionally. you can do everything you want to do without hating anyone.

you're just attached to your hate. it gives you an excuse to not change.

I'm afraid I don't. Please elaborate.

ha. my view is simple. hatred is strategically unnecessary. it takes energy. therefore you're wasting energy.

I do not understand what you mean by how hatred of others means a lack of self-love. A lack of self-love would indicate that you have no will to survive and therefore no reason to hate.

i never said hatred of others always means a lack of self love.

i just think YOU have a lack of self love that you should probably be working on. your life is sad. you fantasize instead of changing anything. why?

you're not gonna know what i'm talking about now, but in twenty years, sitting in a therapist's office, you'll see what i mean.

Why discover opportunities when you can invent them yourself?

because they're not real. unfortunately for you, you live in reality. you can run, but you can't hide.

i know i'm probably walking into a trap with this question, but how do you expect to get money?