• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Asperger Syndrome, Autism, and MBTIc: a questionnaire

Which option best applies to you?

• Total voters

MerkW

Indeed, the autistic spectrum has been discussed here before, but I have grown curious of personal experiences or opinions.

Some questions I have:

1. Are you on the autistic spectrum? (if so, please list your MBTI type)

2. If not officially diagnosed, have you ever thought that it was likely that you might be on the autistic spectrum?

3. If either one or both of the previous questions apply to you, how would you describe your autism (or in the case of the second question, possible autism) in relation to your life? How would you describe your condition? How is your life affected by it, if at all? How do you perceive non-autists?

4. This question is for everyone, whether on the spectrum or not: How many people with an autistic spectrum disorder do you personally know personally? How severe is it? If possible, what do you think the would be the MBTI type of the person?

5. If you are NOT on the autistic spectrum, how would you personally describe autism and how you perceive it?

6. For everyone: What do you think is the cause of autism? Do you think that it is, in fact, a disorder, or rather a difference in brain structure? Do you think there should be a cure? What is your opinion of the neurodiversity movement?

7. If you are on the autistic spectrum, what anecdotes do you have that are particularly revealing of your condition, or related to it? i.e. are there any particular moments where your condition has resulted in a comic situation? A sad/tragic situation? A particular situation where it has been a burden? A blessing? Any notable anecdotes related to you being on the spectrum are welcome.

8. Same as the above, accept for non-autists. Any notable situations that you can recall where the subject of autism or an autistic individual was prominent?

9. If you are an autist, are there any relatives of yours that you suspect of being on the spectrum?

10. Please fill mark the the option that applies to you in the poll attached to this thread.

I have entered my myself into the poll as well, under the option that best applies to me. At a later point in time, I will give my own personal answers to the questionnaire.

Thanks for participating.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
  1. Are you on the autistic spectrum? Yes, I am officially diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, possibly also OCD. If so, please list your MBTI type. No.
  2. If not officially diagnosed, have you ever thought that it was likely that you might be on the autistic spectrum? I am officially diagnosed.
  3. If either one or both of the previous questions apply to you, how would you describe your autism (or in the case of the second question, possible autism) in relation to your life? I'm pretty much an social outcast and have been all my life. How would you describe your condition? I am shy, I enjoy conceiving internal fantasy worlds in my head but I have no way of knowing how to bring them to fruition. How is your life affected by it, if at all? I require predictability, I don't like changes in my environment, and if sudden changes happen, I become uneasy and even volatile. How do you perceive non-autists? Ignorant bastards who don't understand people.
  4. This question is for everyone, whether on the spectrum or not: How many people with an autistic spectrum disorder do you personally know personally? No one that I'm aware of (at least not officially). How severe is it? N/A If possible, what do you think the would be the MBTI type of the person? The one person I possibly suspect is likely an INTJ, actually.
  5. If you are NOT on the autistic spectrum, how would you personally describe autism and how you perceive it? I'm not sure.
  6. For everyone: What do you think is the cause of autism? Genetic, most likely. Do you think that it is, in fact, a disorder, or rather a difference in brain structure? I tend to think it's mostly a personality difference that society finds undesirable. Do you think there should be a cure? What is your opinion of the neurodiversity movement? The only cure I think should be made is a change in other people's perceptions of autistic people. But I refuse to accept other people unless they accept me...and for some reason, I don't really want people to accept me, because then I'll have an excuse to continue my bitterness towards humanity.
  7. If you are on the autistic spectrum, what anecdotes do you have that are particularly revealing of your condition, or related to it? i.e. are there any particular moments where your condition has resulted in a comic situation? I misinterpret people's language because I am not all that familiar with hip similes; I also have obsessive knowledge about my fields of interest; I need to follow a structured routine and changes must be announced ahead of time; I have very poor social skills. A sad/tragic situation? I wonder what the point is, people must have seen it coming. And if it didn't happen to me, I don't see why I should care. A particular situation where it has been a burden? Every time I go out in public and seeing people find it easier to function in the ways I find difficult. A blessing? I'm pretty much smarter than everyone else.
  8. Same as the above, accept for non-autists. Any notable situations that you can recall where the subject of autism or an autistic individual was prominent? N/A
  9. If you are an autist, are there any relatives of yours that you suspect of being on the spectrum? Some of my uncles on my father's side -- none of them are really that social.
  10. Please mark the option that applies to you in the poll attached to this thread. Okay.
Thanks for participating.

ygolo

My termites win
What if someone else (a mental health professional) suspected me to be on the autistic spectrum but didn't dignose me, and I have a relative who has autism, but I don't suspect that I am on the autistic spectrum anymore?

That is even though I don't suspect it, it may still be possible that I am on the spectrum.

I didn't see that option.

MerkW

What if someone else (a mental health professional) suspected me to be on the autistic spectrum but didn't dignose me, and I have a relative who has autistism, but I don't suspect that I am on the autistic spectrum anymore?

That is even though I don't suspect it, it may still be possible that I am on the spectrum.

I didn't see that option.

Ah, sorry about that.
In any case, still put that under option #2.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So far, I am the only one officially diagnosed? Weird...

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Wildcat is an aspie. You'll have to get him here to do the quiz though.

I have an inkling that most people affected with autism spectrum disorders would be INTPs.

apologies. short attention span. quiz as follows:

1. Are you on the autistic spectrum? (if so, please list your MBTI type)

2. If not officially diagnosed, have you ever thought that it was likely that you might be on the autistic spectrum?

No to both.

4. This question is for everyone, whether on the spectrum or not: How many people with an autistic spectrum disorder do you personally know personally? How severe is it? If possible, what do you think the would be the MBTI type of the person?

One personally. Severe enough for others to be afraid. INTPs are likely to be on the spectrum. Especially for social anxiety and inability to understand predator/prey relationships.

Quite a few children. The special schools.

5. If you are NOT on the autistic spectrum, how would you personally describe autism and how you perceive it?

Tabula rasa. They are blank slates. In that sense they are pure souls. And they see the world in infinitely more colour than normal people. That's the good. The bad is that few understand them, or try to. Those who are different are always knocked down. And so, they suffer a lot because of it.

6. For everyone: What do you think is the cause of autism? Do you think that it is, in fact, a disorder, or rather a difference in brain structure? Do you think there should be a cure? What is your opinion of the neurodiversity movement?

Genetics, a mis-wiring, mis-firing of the brain. If you can call it that. Perhaps they're just standard deviations off the curve of normal.

7. If you are on the autistic spectrum, what anecdotes do you have that are particularly revealing of your condition, or related to it? i.e. are there any particular moments where your condition has resulted in a comic situation? A sad/tragic situation? A particular situation where it has been a burden? A blessing? Any notable anecdotes related to you being on the spectrum are welcome.

8. Same as the above, accept for non-autists. Any notable situations that you can recall where the subject of autism or an autistic individual was prominent?

They get judged very often, and are ignored or treated as invisible, or with fear, by people. It;s the minor incidents: people are usually too polite, but a remark passed behind the back, a subtle shift away, an extra glance, a huddling and whispers.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wildcat is an aspie. You'll have to get him here to do the quiz though.

I have an inkling that most people affected with autism spectrum disorders would be INTPs.

I'm thinking any introverted NT types, with the introverted ST types following, probably more likely for the ISTJ.

I'm think the INTJ would be more likely because, as a J, he needs structure and routine and does not like surprises, one of the hallmarks of autistic spectrum disorders.

And Aspies are likely to be noted for idiosyncrasies which would push them closer to an N type, specifically NT.

I'm also guessing that the NTPs (particularly ENTP) will more likely be ADD (mental hyperactivity), while the ESTP would be more likely ADHD (physical hyperactivity).

Also, OCD, I feel, is in the realm of INTJs, because an OCD patient has to do with performing rituals to filter out unwanted thoughts. They also tend to be conceptual people in general. Keirsey also correlated this trait to the Rational temperament, along with a large proportion of autistic traits.

However, the OCPD patient would more likely be ISTJs. OCPD is what most people associate with OCD, but while the behavior may be the same, the motivations are different. An OCPD patient is the type who is anal about minor rules and details.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
He is the son of a friend in another state. He was diagnosed with strong autism when he was about 5, I think. He's in his 20's now. He was extremely introverted. I don't know him well enough to answer for sure anything else, but he did become a wiz at computers and playing a musical instrument. His family was full of "quirky redheads" who are highly specialized at something - parents, aunts, uncles, cousins. Speaking of which, I know another family with some quirky redheads (don't know whether that's significant or not) who has a son who is so... well.. I wouldn't be surprised if he was diagnosed with a mild form of autism.

Autistic tendencies seem rather INTJ or ISTJ ish to me.

My first introduction was from seeing Rain Man many years ago. My impression is that they become very stuck in their ways and need everything to be the same all the time. They don't adjust well to any changes. They can dig in their heels and become very stubborn if they're forced to endure too much out-of-the-ordinary happenings. I have a friend who takes care of a man with Down Syndrome. He has this type of "stubbornness against change" also. Not sure if he is also autistic.

I don't know anything about this. I thought it was a genetic malfunction like what causes other mental or physical handicaps.

Neurodiversity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The concept of neurodiversity is embraced by some autistic individuals and people with related conditions, who believe that autism is not a disorder, but a part of their identity, so that curing autistic people would be the same as destroying their original personalities. Proponents prefer the term over such labels as "abnormal" and "disabled". Some groups apply the concept of neurodiversity to ADHD,[2] developmental speech disorders as well as dyslexic, dyspraxic, hyperactive people, and Parkinson's.[2]"

I find that frustrating. Nothing is a disorder any more. If I had a child with autism, I would want him to be able to lead as "normal" of a life as possible. I think that extreme autism makes "normal" life extremely difficult. If you say it's not a disorder, all of a sudden there's no money available to help you, because well, there's nothing wrong with you. You're "normal".

I had a friend who had a son who talked like "Baby Bay-oh" (Baby Bear) on Sesame Street, but she couldn't get therapy for him because it was decided that was a "normal speech pattern". Never mind that we couldn't understand him half the time. What a bunch of rubbish.

I'm sure there's other sides to this I'm not seeing, but those are my first impressions.

Being a person who is also uncomfortable with too much change, I see it as a social handicap I have. It does not help me in real life.

My friend's client, the man with Downs who is possibly also autistic - there were a couple of incidents where she had to physically overpower him just to get him to sit in the back seat instead of the front seat that he was used to. She wanted me to have the front seat. She was extremely embarrassed (ISFJ) and I would gladly have taken the back seat, but she didn't want me to.

Another time, she took him to a new home for a Christmas party and he embarrassed her and made everyone in the house uncomfortable by physically resisting her as she tried to lead him through the house while he yelled "No!' "No!"

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to assume that an ISTJ autistic would less likely be diagnosed, because as an SJ, the ISTJ is more cooperative to the norms of society. Same goes for an INFJ autistic, who is likely to be the kind of autistic that has trouble fitting in with a group.

The INTJ, on the other hand, as a highly utilitarian type, is more likely to be diagnosed for being a disruption to the school environment, which is when most kids become diagnosed with their respective "disabilities." And unlike the INFJ autistic, the INTJ would less likely be interested in fitting into a group.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
4. This question is for everyone, whether on the spectrum or not: How many people with an autistic spectrum disorder do you personally know personally?
2-3
How severe is it?
mild
If possible, what do you think the would be the MBTI type of the person?
INTP, INTP, EXTX
To me, autism appears to be a difference of perception, predominantly in areas sensory experiences and communication/social interaction.

6. For everyone: What do you think is the cause of autism?
I believe there is a strong genetic component. Beyond that I'm unsure.

Do you think that it is, in fact, a disorder, or rather a difference in brain structure?
Disorder as defined by something that doesn't work normally, I suppose could be accurate. Probably the severity would be more of a determining factor. A difference in brain structure seems like it would be fairly easily observed and really doesn't prove or rule out a disorder. In milder cases, I would consider it a normal neurological variation.

Do you think there should be a cure? Theoretically, yes, but those affected or their guardians should not be forced into being cured if they do not wish to be.

What is your opinion of the neurodiversity movement?
I should probably read up on it.

8. Any notable situations that you can recall where the subject of autism or an autistic individual was prominent?
Grocery shopping with my kids. :shock:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Are you on the autistic spectrum?
No.

Not really.

I don't think I have ever met someone categorized purely as autistic, although I have had friendships with a few Aspies (one a coworker for a few years) which are considered to be on one end of the autistic spectrum.

I think wc said something similar to this before, but they seemed to be an odd combination of INTP, INTJ, and ISTJ. They are mentally very quick and perception and interested in abstractions... but at the same time, they often seem to need lots of closure/stability to function. The ones I knew also were very detailed. One was an analyst, for example, and despite having an NT mindset would also be sensor-level meticulous with detail in her reports; another was an artist and her work was just amazing -- perfect crafted, very detailed, each line in the right place.

Emotionally and socially there were some big issues: My coworker eventually was fired (after lots of interpersonal frustrations on our team) because she threatened and physically assaulted a visiting consultant who she deemed unprofessional; and my friend and I eventually stopped talking because she would read periods of silence in our online friendship as abandoning her or somehow taking advantage of her behind her back.

It was really as if they just had not received any sort of "social interaction" subroutine by which to understand and process relational situations.

I will still really stress, though, that one of these people was selfless (she has spent her whole life caring for a physically disadvantaged son) and she consistently sends xmas cards despite being gone here for a few years; and the other one experienced concern for others. (When 911 happened, she actually called my house from halfway across the country to see if I was okay.) It was like the emotional/relational thing but in a very childlike or inexperienced form, where the nuances just weren't there but the intentions still were.

I think as far as MBTI types, now that I have thought more about it -- it's like mentally they deal from an NT perspective, but behaviorally they operate in ST mode. Does that make sense? That's why I keep getting mixed reads.

I'm not sure on this -- will get back later.

I don't remember many details any longer, but even in the popular lit (Newsweek), there seemed to be some indication that it was partly tied to brain chemistry during development and potential differences in developing structure.

As far as a cure? I don't know. And I don't think it's up to people to forcibly cure someone. In one sense, people are who they are, and trying to "fix" them seems like a violation. On the other hand, there are still social and relational issues that make life more difficult for autistic people and their families as part of dealing with their situation. In those situations, I would not blame an autistic if they wanted to mesh better with society.

As far as in vitro fixes? I have no idea. I generally don't like it.

Well, like I said above: My coworker lost her job because she (1) could not compromise, (2) got frustrated easily, and (3) would get very rude and obnoxious, even physically violent, if the frustration was not reduced. And she was a very very smart lady, mentally.

Likewise, my friend could not maintain relationships with other people, had trouble holding down jobs, and just could not perceive clearly enough in social situations to navigate them. So she was very lonely... one reason why her art was so good (because it was one of the things she could depend on and do well).

Still, my coworker was so faithful and giving to her child, and my friend was SO talented artistically in terms of execution.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, like I said above: My coworker lost her job because she (1) could not compromise, (2) got frustrated easily, and (3) would get very rude and obnoxious, even physically violent, if the frustration was not reduced.

These are the exact reasons I've lost my jobs. Is your coworker on disability? What is her type?

When I have a vision, I often obsess with the meticulous details of realizing it. It's something that INTJs tend to be very good at, since they're interested in bringing their ideas to a concrete reality when motivated, but at the same time, my mind is always on the big picture. I tend to develop a sort of Howard Hughes mentality, and I think he was an INTJ, too. Honestly, if I was a billionaire, I could see myself being a lot like Howard Hughes.

I think as far as MBTI types, now that I have thought more about it -- it's like mentally they deal from an NT perspective, but behaviorally they operate in ST mode. Does that make sense? That's why I keep getting mixed reads.

You've pretty much described the INTJ. The INTJ is generally very abstract in thinking and visionary in scope (be it through art, writing, science, business, etc.), but is concrete and direct in expression and structured and routinized in lifestyle. Whereas the INTP is abstract in both thinking and communication. An INTP artist, for example, would be more ambiguous in his expression, leaving room for other INTPs to interpret the language (think Wildcat! ;)). This is probably why NPs seem to be much more interested in poetry than NJs.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm thinking any introverted NT types, with the introverted ST types following, probably more likely for the ISTJ.

I'm think the INTJ would be more likely because, as a J, he needs structure and routine and does not like surprises, one of the hallmarks of autistic spectrum disorders.

And Aspies are likely to be noted for idiosyncrasies which would push them closer to an N type, specifically NT.

I'm also guessing that the NTPs (particularly ENTP) will more likely be ADD (mental hyperactivity), while the ESTP would be more likely ADHD (physical hyperactivity).

Also, OCD, I feel, is in the realm of INTJs, because an OCD patient has to do with performing rituals to filter out unwanted thoughts. They also tend to be conceptual people in general. Keirsey also correlated this trait to the Rational temperament, along with a large proportion of autistic traits.

However, the OCPD patient would more likely be ISTJs. OCPD is what most people associate with OCD, but while the behavior may be the same, the motivations are different. An OCPD patient is the type who is anal about minor rules and details.
The J does not need structure.
She has structure.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She has structure.

Well, Js prefer the outer world to be predictable and controlled, that's what I meant about "needing" structure. The J has a personal need for structure. I didn't mean needing structure because they were hard to pin down -- in that case, the P needs structure.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These are the exact reasons I've lost my jobs. Is your coworker on disability? What is her type?

As I said, I couldn't place her -- she is like an INTJ/ISTJ combination.

There are only a few NT's I work(ed) with. My boss is vintage INTJ. We have two roving ENTP programmers. And she was the other one with whom I connected as if she were N -- it was just that style connection -- in terms of her thoughts.

But my INTJ boss -- despite his frustration issues and control issues -- still had a good understanding of how to interact with others, what was appropriate, what was not, etc.

With her, that aspect was just like a big gaping hole. She was rigid and just could not bend or accommodate if something was not the way she would have done it. People were sort of handled by Te.

My other aspie friend had lots of anxiety issues, experienced Tourette's, etc. Socializing was very hard for her.

When I have a vision, I often obsess with the meticulous details of realizing it. It's something that INTJs tend to be very good at, since they're interested in bringing their ideas to a concrete reality when motivated, but at the same time, my mind is always on the big picture. I tend to develop a sort of Howard Hughes mentality, and I think he was an INTJ, too. Honestly, if I was a billionaire, I could see myself being a lot like Howard Hughes.

Again, it's like being partly INTJ... but missing a chunk of what the average INTJ still has in terms of relating. So I still see it as "being trapped between types" in MBTI.

This is probably why NPs seem to be much more interested in poetry than NJs.

Meh. Some of the best poets and writers are INFJs.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
She has structure.

wildcat! you're here! :hug:

If an interpretation is needed: ;)

Wildcat's point is that an autistic person, (possible likely, a savant) is likely to be a P, which is why he needs the external structure.

Because the MBTI types the personality: hence, someone who is totally P, especially in thoughts--which an autistic person would be, since their world is internal--would need a very structured and ordered routine outside. Because all of the energy is going within on the disordered thoughts, so outside disturbances have to be eliminated, things have to be streamlined and kept as simple and predictable as possible.

right, wildcat? :huh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Meh. Some of the best poets and writers are INFJs.

Well, I was going by my inquiries "[Types] and poetry." The NPs generally seemed to have more interest in poetry than the NJs.

Wildcat's point is that an autistic person, (possible likely, a savant) is likely to be a P, which is why he needs the external structure.

Which is why I said that the J prefers to live life as routinized and controlled, not spontaneous and whimsical like the P.

Now the ISTJ would likely be the one who is conscientious about their physical surroundings being orderly along with wanting to be in a routine. The INTJ would be less in tune with physical surroundings and might leave their belongings around (since they are not interested in details that don't relate to their vision), but they still will likely prefer having a structured rather than chaotic lifestyle.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Well, I was going by my inquiries "[Types] and poetry." The NPs generally seemed to have more interest in poetry than the NJs.

Perhaps because NPs are more open to non-closures, whilst the NJs seek closure. Poetry is about the potential in every line. So as a reader, the NP is likely to get more joy out of it ("all the different possible meanings!"), while an NJ would be frustrated ("what does the author mean?!").

While as a poet, an NP would be more open to creative license, and be accepting that a poem is a work-in-progress, perhaps always. The NJ may be so obsessed with finding the 'right word' (and unable to find it, as the mind would be linear), that the poem never quite gets finished, or to the satisfaction of an NJ?

just as a personal perspective....elfie used to write poetry and has been published before, including in your countries.

Edit: i think an ISTJ autistic person would be interesting to see though. How do you define one, especially if it is in a conservative (relatively) society like mine, where it can be seen as perfect behaviour?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, Js prefer the outer world to be predictable and controlled, that's what I meant about "needing" structure. The J has a personal need for structure. I didn't mean needing structure because they were hard to pin down -- in that case, the P needs structure.
Exactly.
You said it, Uber.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While as a poet, an NP would be more open to creative license, and be accepting that a poem is a work-in-progress, perhaps always. The NJ may be so obsessed with finding the 'right word' (and unable to find it, as the mind would be linear), that the poem never quite gets finished, or to the satisfaction of an NJ?

I don't know. Usually most INFJs seem to be able to find the right word just fine, and finish their work. (But they might not be expression their angst openly, if they are embarrassed of their work.)

Yes, P's tend to be more free-form and take license rather than following the rules or adhering to a structure that does not seem to be working any longer. But just because P's can say "great works are never finished, always abandoned" -- note the word "abandoned," it is frustrating as hell because NOTHING is ever as good as I think it might have been, and I know it never wil be.

So both types do have angst and, depending on the person/context, can be extremely dissatisfied with their work here. The J is more likely to just call it "done" and accept it, the P continues to dabble.