• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What would you do?

Sunny Ghost

Not really sure of the appropriate place for this thread...

I have a question that relates to something going on in my own life at the moment. It's a, "What would you do if you were in my shoes?" type of question.

Okay... so I just found out last night after work that the house I'm renting is being foreclosed. Because we rent, the bank came straight to our house to discuss a cash for keys option to us. A cash for keys option is basically where they offer you money to move you out faster, cleaner and also to help you resettle elsewhere.

I wasn't home when the bank came by and one of my roommates answered the door and spoke with the representative from the bank, instead. My roommate left me a text that said to call when I got off of work. I called, and he told me the house was being foreclosed, and that they were offering me and each of my roommates $500 to be out in two weeks. So, of course I was terribly devastated.

This morning, my sister calls me and I told her the situation. Her husband is in the foreclosing business and she was asking me several questions on the matter to try and help. I told her about how they were offering us each $500. She then stopped me and asked, "Wait... why are they giving EACH of you $500... weren't you the only one on the lease and the only one to pay a deposit, etc?" It didn't even occur to me prior... but I am indeed the only lease holder at the house and the only one that payed a deposit and the one that has had many many people move in and out while I've been holding this lease, and dealt with all sorts of shananigans, such as roommates that up and left without paying utilities, having to have utilities hooked up... and multiple times on some of them, as they were continuously being put in different roommates names, then that person would leave and it'd be put in someone elses name... so I've paid multiple deposits on utilities during the course of living in this house, as well. The roommates I have, have all refused to be put on the lease and I never so much as asked for a deposit from any of them. They simply moved their stuff in, paid a monthly rent, and that's it.

With the roommate that answered the door last night, he's only been living here for two months... and he's only "living" here because he wants a house closer to town that he can go to on the weekends when he gets drunk at the bars. He has another house elsewhere. I felt as though it wasn't his place, whatsoever, to first of all, call and tell me, the leaseholder, that I'm only getting $500... that should be my decision. Second of all, he only moved his bed in two nights ago. He's only been staying here, and on the couch, and without any of his stuff moved in yet... maybe two nights out of the week. He never had to pay for any of the sign up fees on any of the utilities, or sign a lease, or anything.

With my other two roommates, recall that they refused to sign a lease and I never asked them for a deposit of any kind. And only in recent months have they been forced to put a utility bill in their name. With one of these roommates, their plan is simply to move back home with their parents, since their family is nearby. With the other, I would feel obligated to give at least $500 to since they have no other option once moving out.

But am I wrong to think this way? Am I wrong to believe that the roommate that has only been here a short amount of time, doesn't really deserve 1/4 of what the bank is offering?

Another thing is that none of my current roommates plan on getting together to get another living establishment together. Like I said, the one has a place already... this is just his second home away from home... and the other roommate only plans to move back home and has no other plans. With the third, who has lived here longest, next to me, never felt obligated to any of the formal lease... and only intended on living here for a few months, though that turned into a longer stay, and never paid as much on the house as I did. But he has no intentions of looking for a place to stay with me... I have a suspicion he's going to move to his girlfriends place.
This means I'm most likely looking for a 1 bedroom apartment on my own... which isn't really affordable to me... The boys I live with are all pretty much set and aren't really all that frustrated with the fact they have to move out. It's only me dealing with this incredible amount of stress at the moment. Is it wrong to not want to split the bank settlement up evenly amongst the four of us?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've never lived any place that foreclosed but i feel like you and the person without any options should be the ones getting money. though maybe just you, since you did pay the deposit your self.but how to approach them dipomatically i do not know. also perhaps instead of a 1 bed room maybe getting a studio. that's what I'm doing i can't afford a 1 bed room, i would love a 1 bed room but here their out of my price range.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's not really your money to take and disperse. It's the bank who's making the offer, so it's up to them, in my opinion. Yeah, it might suck, but that's the deal. At least you got $500 out of it.

Sunny Ghost

if i could find a studio in my price range, i would go for it. there are more houses and apartments around here, and not a whole lot of lofts and studio type of living. i'm thinking a duplex of some sort will be my best bet. it just sort of bugs me that the one roommate sort of took these into his own hands and decided it would be evenly split, not to mention didn't tell the banker to contact me. so now i have to take things into my own hands and contact the banker.

Sunny Ghost

It's not really your money to take and disperse. It's the bank who's making the offer, so it's up to them, in my opinion. Yeah, it might suck, but that's the deal. At least you got $500 out of it.

Even if they don't legally reside in the house?

Sunny Ghost

A big part of this, is simply the fact that the one roommate took things into his own hands without informing the banker at the door that he needs to be discussing these matters with me. The banker or realtor (see, I'm not even sure who exactly this guy was...) apparently also went into this long discussion with him about how we need to make a small claims settlement with the landlord as well to get our rent and deposit back, etc. But, the person he NEEDED to discuss those things with is me. :steam: I feel out of the loop on my own living situation and what's going on and what needs to be done.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
I'm with you. It should be up to you if you are the leaseholder to do as you wish. The banker probably should have investigated this first, but I don't know how that works. Why aren't they working this out with the owner?

I've been in the same boat being the only one on the lease or owning a house and renting out rooms. The way I see it you have the most risk at stake and are entitled to all or most of the share. I would talk to the banker guy and tell him the situation and take charge of the situation and do with the money as you wish.