• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The medium is the massage.

Mole

Permabanned
The electronic media have skinned us alive and now our central nervous system is on the outside and sensitive to the slightest touch.

So when our central nervous system was on the inside, we were insulated by our bodies against the insults and slights of everyday life, but now we have no insulation and are shocked by insults and slights. And that is why insults have been banned on this site.

And so it behoves us to learn to use our haptic sense, that is, our sense of touch. To this end I enrolled in a massage course. It may as well have been called a haptic course. And it has changed my life.

Before I would only look but now I touch as well. And interestingly as I develop my haptic sense, I find my other senses are coming alive as well, such as my sense of taste, my aural sense and my proprioceptive sense. And as we have as many as fifteen senses, we have much to explore.

Of course since the invention of the printing press in 1440, print has been privileging the eye, but since the invention of the electric telegraph in 1840, the other senses have been coming into play.

The paton saint of the internet Marshall McLuhan told us the medium is the message as we discover for ourselves that the medium is the massage.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I still don't follow a lot of what you say, but it makes me want to get a massage tomorrow...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The thread title is priceless couldnt have mistyped any better myself :D

Jaguar

funny_monkey%20massage.jpg

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Massage.... that sounds very nice. Anyone want to come over and give me one? :cheese:

Mole

Permabanned
Goldilocks' Porridge

Massage.... that sounds very nice. Anyone want to come over and give me one? :cheese:

There's all kinds of massage. There is self massage and baby massage and every day I give my favourite dog, Page, a massage as well as my favourite cat, Jasper.

I have discovered coconut oil and I soothe myself by massaging myself with coconut oil.

But most of all I massage you every day with this medium.

And as we become more attuned to our hapitic sense we feel whether the touch is too lite or too heavy, or like Goldilocks' porridge, just right.

Mole

Permabanned
I still don't follow a lot of what you say, but it makes me want to get a massage tomorrow...

You can of course have an imaginary massage.

Imagine massaging your forehead back to your temples. And every stroke matches your every breath. So you are massaging your face to the rhythm of your breathing. Notice how your breathing changes and change the pace and intensity of your strokes. And as you massage your face and listen to your breathing, you become one with your breathing, and your breathing becomes one with you.

Mole

Permabanned
Being in touch.

Every day we get 'in touch' with one another. We reach our electronically and touch one another. Our sense of touch has been blunted by twelve years of compulsory schooling, but still we find ourselves reaching out.

It seems we are reaching out into the void until we feel the touch of another hand and then we know we are not alone.

Sometimes that hand is warm and friendly and sometimes we get a slap and are tempted to slap back. And sometimes we do.

Sometimes that hand tickles us and we can't help laughing, sometimes LOL.

Sometimes that hand points in a direction we might go, and sometimes that hand says stop.

Sometimes we are rude and say, "Talk to the hand", and sometimes we give a blessing with our hand.

Our hand is a magic wand that plays a tune on our central nervous system, that can set our nevous systms humming together. So don't keep your hands in your pockets, reach out and touch someone - it's as easy as replying to this post.