• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Punishment

Beyonder

MBTI Type
intp
Seneca Essays Book 1

For the other emotions have in them some element of peace and calm, while this one (anger) is wholly violent and has its being in an onrush of resentment, raging with a most inhuman lust for weapons, blood, and punishment, giving no thought to itself if only it can hurt another, hurling itself upon the very point of the dagger, and eager for revenge though it may drag down the avenger along with it. Certain wise men, therefore, have claimed that anger is temporary madness.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Could it be said that punishment on a personal scale is communication? It seems to be the desire to control (as Maverick and others have posted), the desire for things to be done "the proper way" etc. Perhaps the whole spread of punishment (where one punishes the punisher or some bystander) is purely done out of a twisted sense of justice where the punisher feels pain and so inflicts it on others to make their own comparative state better.

Punishment should be, and sometimes is, a statement. It should say that the reason this person is being punished is because what they did is not acceptable and to redress the balance. Without punishment then there would be less cost to destructive behaviour, that's not good, but granted it is also often used to sooth the punisher's own feelings of inadequacy or vunerability.

Lark

Could it be said that punishment on a personal scale is communication? It seems to be the desire to control (as Maverick and others have posted), the desire for things to be done "the proper way" etc. Perhaps the whole spread of punishment (where one punishes the punisher or some bystander) is purely done out of a twisted sense of justice where the punisher feels pain and so inflicts it on others to make their own comparative state better.

Punishment should be, and sometimes is, a statement. It should say that the reason this person is being punished is because what they did is not acceptable and to redress the balance. Without punishment then there would be less cost to destructive behaviour, that's not good, but granted it is also often used to sooth the punisher's own feelings of inadequacy or vunerability.

I do not quite understand how destructive behaviour has less cost if there is no punishment.

I also am not a great fan of punishment for its own sake, although I do not think that satisfaction is an illegitimate goal for victims or their kinfolk, but I do think that sometimes believing that consequences and logical consequences will be enough to stop transgressive behaviour is insufficient.

It depends on the context and I do not think those things are used enough in teachable moments but there are some individuals, persistent offenders, who do not exhibit much in the way of teachability, I consider them exceptions rather than rule or norm but they exist none the less. Maybe they just do some sort of rational calculation and think that the penalty isnt great enough to dissuade them from a particular behaviour.

There is also the possibility that by choosing to avoid punative actions you appear weak or validating a particular course of action, people can wrongly believe there are no consequences to their actions because they have simply disregarded the natural and logical consequences and only pay attention to the formal sanctions. You could be schooling someone in that kind of expectation if you refuse to employ sanctions where it makes sense to do so.

I love the Punisher comics, TV shows, movies, I also love the archetype, in the comics Lucifer was kind of a Punisher character, although its only in the later comics that they really decided to make Frank Castle a sort of madman (like he was so much in love with punishment that he killed everyone he met because they were guilty per se, a bit like Judge Death and the other Judges of Deathworld who decided that life was punishable) earlier on in the comics he used to agonise the whole time about who he was punishing and avoiding innocents being injured etc. Its also make believe and apparently there is zero collateral damage.

When it comes to punishment I think you have to steer a course, dont facilitate a lot of sadists, dont spread sadistic social character, on the other hand dont encourage other sorts of sadism by appearing to support permissive norms or authorities.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Me punishing someone? I mean. Maybe passive aggressively for a while by like- not speaking tovsomeone Im angry at? (But not for nothing, and its usually only because Im afraid of what I might say to them if I DO start talking to them before the anger abates)

I would never want to actively... well. To punish someone seems like a power move. And Im fairly against putting other down in any way to make myself feel better. That just seems so dirty and kinda sad when you think about it.

Lark

Me punishing someone? I mean. Maybe passive aggressively for a while by like- not speaking tovsomeone Im angry at? (But not for nothing, and its usually only because Im afraid of what I might say to them if I DO start talking to them before the anger abates)

I would never want to actively... well. To punish someone seems like a power move. And Im fairly against putting other down in any way to make myself feel better. That just seems so dirty and kinda sad when you think about it.

I think it would be strange to want to actively be a punishing character but I can understand this strange quirk of character I've encountered sometimes where people take on that role because they would not trust it to others.

Sometimes I've been in that role. When I think of the AD&D parallel I think its a preference for lawful but an awareness that lawful isnt automatically lawful good and could be lawful evil all things depending.