• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Implications of the word "lifestyle"

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Out of curiosity, I googled it:

A way of life or style of living that reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group: "It was a millionaire's lifestyle on the pocketbook of a hairdresser" People.

I guess my mind hasn't changed since first posting. It does seem a perfectly innocuous, concise, word that only looses its neutral meaning with connotation. I think most words can be used to imply judgement if the speaker is, in fact, judgemental but, again, the "judgement" can also be in the recipients ear only. This reminds me of my days in the military when stating, off base, that I was a WAVE. To some, that said the lifestyle of a "whore"... and to others one of a patriot and, still to others, simply a profession.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
When you hear someone's behavior/choices referred to as a "lifestyle," what connotations does that word seem to hold for you?

Do you think the word has positive or negative implications, and why?
Haven't read past the OP to give a fresh response.

I think that lifestyle is the totality of one's social networks, spending habits and the time they use to different jobs and tasks. It's what they do.

I guess the main idea with the word is actually the secondary effects of said actions, it's the total experience and the image of it. It's the idea that you associate with certain people, certain groups and you think a certain way if your daily habits correspond to a pattern of certain lifestyle.

In my eyes, people usually think of lifestyle resulting from what they do, and making them what they are.

People that I know usually think there's an easy way to start a lifestyle. Just start doing what people in the target lifestyle do, and you'll be on your way in.

People that I know also think that the "better" lifestyles are wanted for their secondary effects, mostly. What kind of image does the lifestyle have? Whom will I associate with in that lifestyle? Will I like it?

So, that's just something from the top off my head.

Edit: In a usage I've accustomed to, "lifestyle" implies that the person makes a favorable impression to those they care about, and perhaps an impressions of another kind to the rest.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seriously though, "lifestyle" isn't always a dirty word IMO. I think it probably depends on who says it, and the likelihood that they are communicating a judgment (or trying not to). If you wanted to be safe, you could say "way of life" or something of that nature, to avoid the possibility of a knee-jerk reaction to the word "lifestyle."

Good comments throughout this thread. :)

I think I will re-mention that I think I only take umbrage to the word when it's used to refer to things that aren't actually "lifestyles"... so then it does pick up a negative connotation because it seems to trivialize the person's situation.

For example, to pick a conflict point, there's a difference between someone who lives a "homosexual lifestyle" (which suggests their lives revolve around sex parties and events set up and conducted by and for homosexuals, etc.) and a homosexual who is in a monogamous relationship who you wouldn't even realize was gay until you met their partner. The first seems to fit more with "lifestyle," the latter does not (because their lives resemble the lives of all the hets around them), and it does rather trivialize the latter to reduce it to a "lifestyle." The latter homosexual didn't go into homosexuality to live a gay lifestyle, it's just their instinctive LIFE... just as all the hets around them instinctively live THEIR lives ... so if one is labeled a lifestyle, then heterosexuality should be called a lifestyle as well. Which seems silly.

Maybe I am just more sensitive to the connotations because I have seen the word used negatively/abusively more often simply because of my situation. It is certainly possible, which is why it is so interesting to hear from those of you to whom it is a neutral or even positive word.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Delirious... just want to say how much I enjoy your posts... you are wise beyond your years in my opinion and I hope you see that as a compliment.

:blush: :wubbie: :blush: :wubbie: Being called a weirdo or being called a crazy-must-be-on-drugs-and-shocked-you're-not?! is a compliment! Have no fear, I'll yet annoy you! :devil:

Has it, too, now become a "dirty" word among younger people today?

So, if one chooses to be PC, is "lifestyle" now off limits? And, if it has become so, what would be a PC replacement for it? Thanks.

I almost feel like I have authority. :shocking: I don't think it's considered a dirty word among younger people, of whom I can only speak of intimiately or through association and what I view by way of self-indulgent media.... It's as I said, most people are ignorant of the connotations thrown onto them. I think that the youth, of any society and probably of any era, largely misuse words in order to 'boost' a reputation or a clique or to insult another. I know older people do this as well but there's more of a "fashion" sense attributed onto words used by younger people (probably in the past too though I'm not certain but can certainly seeee it even with ancient young peoples!). Although, for the past few years I'm hearing more and more adults, even much older, use colloquial slangs (doctors/nurses/etc from my work). Even so much as saying "That was, like, serious surgery." (more so of the younger rez students but I once heard a much OLDer doc say similar....I wanna cry I wanna cry!!!!! :boohoo: Language is doooomed!)

I'd say for being PC, be as you'd wish to be and be conscious of what you're saying. That's for anything, really. You can only truly control yourself, if you are self-aware, and can admit that through the interdepdent nature of humans, of all beings, you may be influenced (even subtlely) or you may notice it and choose how you wish to interpret or adopt or deflect what is being given/forced onto you. As for a PC replacement to Lifestyle, here's where I bite my tongue! :D Just be aware of the trends and it'll likely present itself. You might hear a younger/older person fashion it as thus: "That's The Style, oh yea! I wanna Style my Life like them/that!" :rolli: So long as people are nice, I don't mind much and I avoid most anyway but keeping aware is to prevent dischord when confronted by most stupidity I see/hear/sense/envision :devil:

I would love to hear this too, since I'm at the older edge of Gen X... and I am noticing a lot of changes in mentality and approach among late teens / young adults, let alone my younger children.

WTH? You better just mean you're older in the edge of Gen X and not "old" yourself! I hear so many younger people saying 30+ is now MIDDLE AGE. Frickin :steam:! I can't wait for them to approach this great halving division of THEIR likely more diseased lives. Though, most will probably now look three times that age due to poor nutrition/exercise "lifestyles" *ahem* :whistling:

(I think the Internet/Electronic Age has had a LARGE impact on cultural mind, for one... as well as the different generation of parents for the younger kids versus my generation. I was raised by Boomers influenced by the 50/60's. They were raised in the 80's/90's.)

My generation are echo boomers. We shall inherit North America when all those grandparing boomers are retired. And we shall next, if we survive to live that long (I forgot!) :doh:, deny our children our jobs! MUAHAHHAHA! :nice:

I also think the Internet/Elcontric Age coupled with cross-cultural Globalism has/is the precurser to a lot of early dischord within other countries not largely adhered to the North American/European ways of "lifestyles". And the impact of the bigger gate for the supposedly happier dog impresses or annoys those other supposedly smaller dogs in their supposedly smaller gates.

We're all puppies! Aww! Too bad some bite, laze around, sniff inappropriately and mark their terrotories where they shouldn't or are too oblivious to the abuse of their owners until too late...! :doh: :doh: :doh:

And I'm not entirely certain but I can certainly believe Ivy's idea on Lifestyle being influenced by rubber play things for the masses! :devil: I think Lifestyle was still used in a sexual sense against certain "types" of supposed living of "sexualities" such as LGBT or even females who are "not what they used to be" sexually or otherwise (as it's sometimes merely assumed a more dominant or free from submission female is entirely a sexual entity OR that a "submissive" one is entirely at the mercy of a more sexually aggressive person)

Note: Discord + chord = Dischord as I merrily strum my chaos wherever I please to please others whom may affect themselves as they think they can please but are truly under my song!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
WTH? You better just mean you're older in the edge of Gen X and not "old" yourself!

Well, I am finding myself having to do a lot of mental adjustment, and I wonder who I am (obviously) and whether I should be different than I am based on my age.

Essentially, I still feel like I did when I was twenty, in terms of my "spirit"...

....so the generation gap slaps me really hard in the face when y'all who are 20 now don't recognize books and movies and music I refer to without second thought... and I realize sometimes you were even born AFTER I saw/read/heard those things! *ugh*

... and when y'all ask questions about relationships or life direction or such, and I realize that the information/experiences that seem so clear to me (so much that I almost don't even bother saying it) would actually be new and helpful information to you because you haven't gone through those things yet...

so... I still feel young, but then I keep getting "culture shock" as we interact on this forum, among other places I go as well.

I hear so many younger people saying 30+ is now MIDDLE AGE. Frickin :steam:! I can't wait for them to approach this great halving division of THEIR likely more diseased lives.

Well, it freaked me out big-time when I realized I was now more than twice as old as kids graduating from high school. (omg) There's just something wrong with that.

Because when I was a teen, 40 seemed old. Now that I'm almost 40, 75 is what seems old ... and not nearly as old as the gap was when I was 18 looking at 40.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Good comments throughout this thread. :)

I think I will re-mention that I think I only take umbrage to the word when it's used to refer to things that aren't actually "lifestyles"... so then it does pick up a negative connotation because it seems to trivialize the person's situation.

Recall what you say of referral to things not actually "lifestyles" when you read me comments below! :D

OMFGOSH Umbrage..is that where what's her name Rowing or boating of Harry Potter got Umbridge from?! OMFGOSH she did she did, didn't she!

For example, to pick a conflict point, there's a difference between someone who lives a "homosexual lifestyle" (which suggests their lives revolve around sex parties and events set up and conducted by and for homosexuals, etc.) and a homosexual who is in a monogamous relationship who you wouldn't even realize was gay until you met their partner.

This has always vexedme about people's erroneous assumptions about LGBT or ethnicities or anything outside their limited (accessible, ignorant or hardly desired) understandings--- People who choose to revolve their lives around sexual experiences (though, who can always do so? :rolli:) are no different than non LGBT or other groups of peoples who choose to revolve their lives exactly the same. These people, LGBT or straight or Alien, while nothing is wrong with their choice as it's their right to choose so, should NOT connotate a "lifestyle" which influences all in assuming that's how one must be if they are ___ then they must be ____---- F***! This is why I hate people sometimes and hide in me Ni crazed mind! :boohoo:

The first seems to fit more with "lifestyle," the latter does not (because their lives resemble the lives of all the hets around them), and it does rather trivialize the latter to reduce it to a "lifestyle." The latter homosexual didn't go into homosexuality to live a gay lifestyle, it's just their instinctive LIFE... just as all the hets around them instinctively live THEIR lives ... so if one is labeled a lifestyle, then heterosexuality should be called a lifestyle as well. Which seems silly.

To me, LGBT who choose to live that way are not living a "homosexually promiscous or even monogomous highly/focused sexed up life" they are merely living a "promiscous or even monogomous highly/focused sexed up life". It's LGBT shows, while great opportunity for LGBT, whic have been a part negative influential force for others-- for the most part since being accepted/widely known IMHO. QueerEFTSGuy, a whole bunch I'm forgetting...It's even shows like The L Word which try to focus on a mixture of partying, sex and "deep love" within relationships but have too much drama which still negatively influentially impacting peoples POV. If there was more acceptance, understanding first and people could differentiate b/w people first, then it'd be an easier progression. Until they can discern, LGBT will continue to be misrepresented--even among those with LGBT who are seen as "flaunting". Should one tell those "flaunters" to stop? No, it's their choice. I'd see those are both right in enjoying their lives but also irresponsible in creating flak for the rest of LGBT. That all applies to other groups as well, in any sphere.

Maybe I am just more sensitive to the connotations because I have seen the word used negatively/abusively more often simply because of my situation. It is certainly possible, which is why it is so interesting to hear from those of you to whom it is a neutral or even positive word.

Yup, 'course you'd be. I'd think most would be. I'd think there are those not even personally affected/effected can be too (by being self-aware and other-aware). I'll firmly say I view positive/negative/neutral based on my pecerptive interpretations of others as well as when I use it too (and I don't think I do or my Si is weak thus cannot recall...:thinking: Pretty sure I don't though!)

And I hope I didn't sound mean! All that Fe: :steam: is for peoples not you :hug: or you or you unless you or you or you are like those people! :thelook:

This discussion has been fun! I got to unbutton me mind! :wacko: