• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NPs

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
:laugh: I tried sleeping 4 hours twice a day, and it felt like I slept 4 hours.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm definitely a night owl. I also often have trouble getting sleep so I like to sleep late.

I'm not a morning person either - my brain doesn't function properly for the first hour or 2 after I've woken up. Asking me questions, telling me things I'm supposed to remember or generally trying to have a conversation with me at such times will result in fragmented, nonsensical responses. :wacko:

Oh, man. Me, too. I am in a total fog for the first hour or so. It's frustrating sometimes because I like to sleep until the last possible minute, but when I'm working a job with normal people hours, I have to get up a bit earlier so my brain will start working like it's supposed to. I prefer to teach night classes, when I'm at my prime. It also allows me to keep the schedule I like best: staying up until 3 or 4, sleeping until noon or later.

This.
and my sleep cycle fluctuates both in terms of duration, frequency and time slots.
an 10/11 am meeting means two reminders starting 9/10 am and a few alarms for waking up starting 7 am

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm out before my head hits the pillow.

It is somewhat irritatin to have to wake up before 8am, which seems to be my body's notion of "early". Anything before that hour causes me to feel very sleepy upon awakening.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronotype

I always had problems going to sleep for as long as I can remember. I have memories of just lying in bed for hours trying to sleep as a kid, only to be able to around 2-3. (then wake up at 6 for school). I work a late job now, and my sleep schedule sits comfortably at 2-3am until 10-11am.

Yep, that is me too. I sometimes wish we had 30hr days. I have a hard to falling asleep, and hard time waking up. I get very irritable and cranky when I get too little sleep. Any time I have to get up earlier than normal or for something like say catch a flight, I have an even harder time, stressing that I might not wake up.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
The typical issue with insomnia for me is not being able to make my mind shut up.

I also have trouble going to bed early.

Even with me dragging on my 4:30am wake-up time with my current job, I often don't go to bed until 12-1am. Not good. It's not like I don't want to go to bed, I just tend to not be tired at that point of night. When I feel like crashing, it's usually around mid-afternoon or 6pm.

OMG I know. It's so hard to shut up my mind. I have to set the tv on a timer alot of times and try NOT to fall asleep. Occasionally, I can do some mellow music, but other times I get too into the music and get a second wind and am wide awake and craving more music.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I have a theory.
Extroverts fall asleep faster. Why? Because extroverts get their energy from the external world and introverts get their energy internally. I know sometimes I can't sleep because my brain refuses to. A little experiment? Introverts that can't fall asleep, instead of lying in bed introverting, lie in bed extroverting. Make it so you're environment is non-stimulating and extrovert. It should take more energy on your part thus you'll fall asleep faster.

I've noticed something about my self... Before I go to bed I have to be reviewing the past. I'm guessing this is Si (my supposedly 3rd function). But I have to have a song I've heard playing in my head, or reviewing past conversations, or thinking about someone. This fits neatly into my "use a more energy taxing function before bed" theory. So, introverts, instead of introverting you're first function, introvert your third. It might solve the problems.

Without time constrictions I sleep 12 hours and stay up 13. I've done this over the summer and during breaks pretty consistently.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to have pretty erratic sleeping habits. I'd sleep 4 hours one night and 12 hours the next. Some nights I'd be ready to go to bed by 10:00, other nights I wouldn't go to bed until 3:00 or 4:00 am and I'd only sleep a few hours and end up groggy the whole day. I can't just go to bed at a certain time and make myself fall asleep but I've been alot better about keeping at least a somewhat regular sleeping schedule. When I do so, I generally feel better. I also hear it's better for the body's metabolism too.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Definitely not. I had thought I'd grow out of it as I got older, (or grow into a normal sleep pattern) but that hasn't happened and I doubt it ever will. If left to my own devices, I'm most comfortable going to sleep around 4 or 5 AM and waking up around 2 PM - an eternal teenager I guess. ;)

Thank god for coffee and lenient bosses. :biggrin:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a theory.
Extroverts fall asleep faster. Why? Because extroverts get their energy from the external world and introverts get their energy internally. I know sometimes I can't sleep because my brain refuses to. A little experiment? Introverts that can't fall asleep, instead of lying in bed introverting, lie in bed extroverting. Make it so you're environment is non-stimulating and extrovert. It should take more energy on your part thus you'll fall asleep faster.

I've noticed something about my self... Before I go to bed I have to be reviewing the past. I'm guessing this is Si (my supposedly 3rd function). But I have to have a song I've heard playing in my head, or reviewing past conversations, or thinking about someone. This fits neatly into my "use a more energy taxing function before bed" theory. So, introverts, instead of introverting you're first function, introvert your third. It might solve the problems.

Without time constrictions I sleep 12 hours and stay up 13. I've done this over the summer and during breaks pretty consistently.

i think definitely no...i blame ne for real. last night after being on the computer and reading and learning different things on different pages...researching this and that and making plans and figuring things out...i was about to pass out dead i was so tired but i laid in bed for hours because my brain was on overdrive like super enthused manic style...like omg this and that is such a good idea...ahhh...and blah blah blah tornado style thoughts. it sucked so bad i almost had to take a valium. i was feeling anxious and panicky.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
You don't sleep because you A) Worry B) You're excited C) You aren't physically tired D) Drugs E) You're sensotarded, unaware of time. F) Because you spend too much time on the internet G) You have a sleep disorder.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've always been a night person, and apparently so are a lot of the women in my family. We're nocturnal creatures. Like cats. And bats.

With me it's like there's always something too interesting to do or think about. Even before I was on-line (seriously I wasn't on-line much until I was about 23, believe it or not, but it was love at first click) I had trouble sleeping because I would just keep THINKING or I would read or watch movies or SOMETHING.

It could be a "sleep disorder" that I'm a night person, but I've found ways for it to usually work for me. The only times it's been a problem is when I have an early appointment or when I've temporarily had to take first shift jobs (I tend to work second shift whenever I can) etc.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
A night person is the opposite of a morning person. They feel better in the afternoon than the early morning, and seem to feel extremely productive in the evening hours instead of during the day like everyone else.

Usually these people don't want to go to bed until sometime after midnight (apparently with typical "delayed sleep phase" the average hour is 2 AM) and I've found that sometime between midnight and 3 AM is best for me. When I go to bed between 9 and midnight it's either because I'm sick or because I'm forced to for a job or something.

But if I get in a habit of staying up after 4 AM, that's bad. It feels off-kilter. I don't think I'd like being a third shift person, though like I said I've worked second shift for many years and prefer it. In college my classes were usually never before 11 AM, and after 1 PM if possible.

I did take an 8 o'clock class in summer school for six weeks and it just about killed me.

This pattern started in high school, I noticed. Actully even as early as 6th or 7th grade I would stay up and watch Saturday Night Live until 1 or 2 AM on weekends. But by the time I was a junior and senior in high school it became a problem, like that I would want to stay up until like 1 AM and have to get up at 6 AM and often I'd over sleep, and if I got up on time I'd end up taking a long nap after school - I mean for like two hours - so I'd not want to go to bed, wash, rinse, repeat.

And it wasn't for lack of trying on my grandparents' part. They tried their damnedest to instill a bed time into me. But even as a CHILD I remember tip toeing and getting up and eavesdropping on their conversations, or singing to myself or talking to myself or listening to the radio and being told to go to sleep.

In high school they tried all kinds of shenanigans to get me into bed on time, including hiding the house telephone from me (there were no cell phones then) but it was a cordless so I'd just sneak and grab the phone after they dozed off by 10 PM (they were both nice, well-disciplined SJ morning people).

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't find anything more or newer on this, but still think it's worth a read. (if for no other reason than to have another excuse when asked. :newwink:)