• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do we listen to sad music when we are sad?

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Lark

DING-DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD! THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD! :D :D

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
DING-DONG WHAT THA HELL DOES THAT MEAN DING-DONG IS EVERYBODY ABSOLUTELY MAD THIS WEEK IN HERE!?

rawr.jpg

Dont bother i goggled it.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always avoid sad music, it really is stupid to listen to.
What's the point of being scared, sad or otherwise negative when you don't have to?
The world surely is depressing enough, well at least the people in it.

My scale of music never goes into "sad" music, it stops at "romantic" music or such.
That's in my world where the divide is. Romantic music can be either happy or sad, I surely only listen to the happy side.
Irish folk music is extremely jovial and nice, it has saved me out of many a hole in this time.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I tend to listen to music that suits whatever mood I'm in, and I don't usually find that music can change my mood one way or the other.

Some people I've talked to claim to be reactive, though.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to listen to music that suits whatever mood I'm in, and I don't usually find that music can change my mood one way or the other.

Some people I've talked to claim to be reactive, though.

oh i am! very... don`t you force me to listen to some aggressive "rap"

P

Phantonym

For me, listening to music mostly helps bring the emotions I'm going through closer to my thoughts, so I can analyze them with greater detail. But, at the same time, it can also have a contrary effect, music can be a distraction that brings relief when emotions are too strong to evaluate and analyze in a constructive manner, so it could have a supporting effect at that moment until I am ready to deal with the emotions.

I know that when I'm leaning towards melancholy, listening to music helps and I guess it might be somewhat instinctive that I choose more melancholic music then, but I don't choose music deliberately to alter my moods. I don't usually "bond" with the lyrics at all, to me it's more about the melody and the "vibe" and how it supports my mood. Listening to "happy" or energetic music at the moment I feel more melancholic seems too invasive, like the emotion in that piece of music is suddenly being forced on me, like I'm supposed to feel the same emotions as are in the music when I'm not really ready to do so.

However, I think it's also individual, music is subject to individual interpretations and what one person "reads" in different kinds of music is not the same for other people.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I believe Elton John and Bernie Taupin tackled this philosophical question years ago.

"Sad Songs Say so Much"

Guess there are times when we all need to share a little pain
And ironing out the rough spots
Is the hardest part when memories remain
And it's times like these when we all need to hear the radio
'Cause from the lips of some old singer
We can share the troubles we already know

Turn them on, turn them on
Turn on those sad songs
When all hope is gone
Why don't you tune in and turn them on

They reach into your room
Just feel their gentle touch
When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much

If someone else is suffering enough to write it down
When every single word makes sense
Then it's easier to have those songs around
The kick inside is in the line that finally gets to you
and it feels so good to hurt so bad
And suffer just enough to sing the blues

Turn on those sad songs
When all hope is gone

When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much

Sad songs, they say
Sad songs, they say
Sad songs, they say
Sad songs, they say so much
Turn on those sad songs
When all hope is gone

When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much

When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much
When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much
When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much
When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, it gets the sadness out, rather than holding it in and letting it fester. I find that if I fake happiness by listening to a happy song when I am feeling sad, it will only draw out the sadness for a longer period... good mask for the time frame, but it just goes back to melancholia. Would rather experience the sadness and confront it with music. Getting the emotions out is good for the healing process.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Because beauty is subjective, and sad songs can be beautiful.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Recently I've found out it works for me at set times to listen to sad music. For me it works to listen to a type of music that fits the mood i'm in. I kind of have a hard time adjusting when I or someone else plays music that doesn't. So I'm off now for some sad music. I think just having done the dishes is what actually does work for me to feel better (just as being outside, so it's on another scale than music). I think it was Leonard Cohen's quote that when you made a record, people'd only listen to it while doing the dishes. I don't know whether that quote is related, but it popped up.

It isn't easy to find sad music. By 'YouTubing' the word 'sad' I can find some... Most of it is straightforward (or at the same time actually not quite hitting it), although it does have its value, like 'Dark sad beat' or 'Sad romance'/'Sad violin'. Thanks for your links, the first two already sound good.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Because it makes me feel less alone in my sorrow. Someone "understands" the pain.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It allows us to let out the mood. It is sort of like a diary or a journal. You write to let out your experience (your grievances, your happiness, your sadness, your anger, etc.)

I always avoid sad music, it really is stupid to listen to.
What's the point of being scared, sad or otherwise negative when you don't have to?
The world surely is depressing enough, well at least the people in it.

My scale of music never goes into "sad" music, it stops at "romantic" music or such.
That's in my world where the divide is. Romantic music can be either happy or sad, I surely only listen to the happy side.
Irish folk music is extremely jovial and nice, it has saved me out of many a hole in this time.

DENIAL! :tongue10:

Fake happiness is worse than true sadness. At least, that is how I see it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i remember reading somewhere that INTPs usually listen to music that matches their feelings and ENFPs tend to listen the type of music that is more about how they want to feel. I guess this might be Fe/Ti vs Fi/Te thing

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it's I v E. Weather we draw from inside or outside.

For me listening to sad music will make me sad, and if I'm sad listening to happy music will make me happy.

Introverts tend to feel the opposite, music matches rather than influences their moods.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i remember reading somewhere that INTPs usually listen to music that matches their feelings and ENFPs tend to listen the type of music that is more about how they want to feel.

my INTP brother seems to listen to the same style of music pretty much all the time, and not really care about the feelings. i tried asking him the question and he wasn't really interested. he seems more concerned about the musical technicalities of the songs than about how they affect his emotions.

personally, having music around that doesn't match my mood is very hard, because it throws me off inside. it's like the music takes over my head and fills me up with whatever its meaning and intonation in. i have a hard time concentrating on other things. sometimes it's okay if it's not happy - for a long drive on a dreary day, sometimes i like listening to a little sweet, melancholy music, and when i'm working out, sometimes i like to listen to angry music. but in general i filter music by the meaning of the lyrics... in general i don't like to listen to anything that i find offensive or harmfully negative (ie, raping bitches, etc). i'm most often on my "fun" playlist.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Without commenting on the probability for a feedback loop as a result of circular expectation (sad music will necessarily invite sadness for most), the purpose of music has always been the development of emotional connection to the outside world. The point of any art form is the discovery of the emotional self, set in context of the particular medium (watercolor, for example).

So, it shouldn't surprise us that we seek out music to match our moods. That we want to further connect our emotional identity to something tangible and pleasant to listen to. Music is just another path to self-discovery.

All art is emotion. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

wolfy

awsm
I think it's I v E. Weather we draw from inside or outside.

For me listening to sad music will make me sad, and if I'm sad listening to happy music will make me happy.

Introverts tend to feel the opposite, music matches rather than influences their moods.

I don't know about this one. I remember you said it before. I was wondering about it so I played a variety of songs on the way to work, they pull me in their direction. I know that sad songs make me sad and thirsty for a shot of spirits, especially Johnny Cash. And really aggressive music tends to pull me into a more aggressive mood. I know 'cause I use music that way. To pull me into moods.