• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

European-Americans' interest in (obsession with?) their ancestry

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't understand why some in this thread seem to have an air of superiority about not understanding it.

It's because a lot of people research it and then try to put on a superficial veneer of belonging to their ancestral culture, when in reality they don't fit it that well, and have ancestry from other cultures as well. There's also the feeling that a lot of white people just do it because they're jealous of how other races have a strong sense of their traditional culture, and this makes them look silly, being members of the dominant/primary culture anyway.

Basically, the sense is that people who are interested in it, are trying to appear more cultured and traditional than they really are. Like those people that make a lot of money overnight, and then try to present themselves in the same "classy" and "cultured" manner as those who've had money for a long time. It just doesn't work, and it doesn't impress anyone, because they usually don't put enough work into it to make it look good.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's because a lot of people research it and then try to put on a superficial veneer of belonging to their ancestral culture, when in reality they don't fit it that well, and have ancestry from other cultures as well. There's also the feeling that a lot of white people just do it because they're jealous of how other races have a strong sense of their traditional culture, and this makes them look silly, being members of the dominant/primary culture anyway.

Basically, the sense is that people who are interested in it, are trying to appear more cultured and traditional than they really are. Like those people that make a lot of money overnight, and then try to present themselves in the same "classy" and "cultured" manner as those who've had money for a long time. It just doesn't work, and it doesn't impress anyone, because they usually don't put enough work into it to make it look good.

Well, I honestly don't know anyone who uses their ancestry to look more cultured. It's more about feeling connected and curiousity. But, in my area, there really is little to gain in status in uncovering your Czech/Polish/German roots. I know a few people who were able to contact branches of their families in Europe.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What was said about language was referring to people who identify primarily with a culture whose language they don't understand which is not the same thing as being interested in your heritage or saying "I have Russian ancestry". Nobody said they were stupid or inferior for not speaking Italian, only that it seems strange to call yourself (primarily) Italian when you know very little about Italy and its culture. I don't think any sense of European superiority was implied.

PS: Why is it that so many people here are so touchy about Europe and always suspect European arrogance even when there is none involved (not that it doesn't exist at all, but at least on the forum I have seen more Americans complain about European snobism than actual European snobs).

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Whakapapa

What comes to mind is the Maori in New Zealand do something similar, though they've lived there for a while longer than Europeans (meaning the current, after 1492, emigrants), they tell eachother's ancestry back to the first set of tribes that have come to the island(s) and it is of high importance to them (something similar to their name, or more important than that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whakapapa

S

Sniffles

Language is one component of identity. In America's case the families and communities were seperated from the old country for a few generations, and naturally the language is either going to fade or mutate(especially with the pressures to assimilate at the time). This is similar to what's often said about the kind of French spoken in Canada*. I mean the loss of Gaelic didn't seem to hamper the identity of the Irish or the Scottish people for example too. Yet now with greater communication abilities, there are more serious attempts to preserve the languages(or even re-learn them).

*Speaking of Canada, in many ways ethnic identity is taken far more seriously there than in America. For example, I know Ukrainians there often see themselves as more Ukrainian than Canadian. Here it's more like a synthesis of ethnic identity with being American.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
What was said about language was referring to people who identify primarily with a culture whose language they don't understand which is not the same thing as being interested in your heritage or saying "I have Russian ancestry". Nobody said they were stupid or inferior for not speaking Italian, only that it seems strange to call yourself (primarily) Italian when you know very little about Italy and its culture. I don't think any sense of European superiority was implied.

PS: Why is it that so many people here are so touchy about Europe and always suspect European arrogance even when there is none involved (not that it doesn't exist at all, but at least on the forum I have seen more Americans complain about European snobism than actual European snobs).

Thank you for writing a better post than I ever could have done.

Some Americans have an inferiority complex, I think, when it comes to identity. In a broader context, this might also play a part in some Americans' fervent nationalism. At other times, it might manifest as a person identifying with another nation and clinging on to an ancestral past in order to align oneself with, as I have said before, a mythologised lineage.

Nobody is saying that researching one's family history is bad - a lot of people do it; indeed, I have done it. What I (and Red Herring, it seems) am saying is that it is very odd to explicitly identify oneself with the nationality of a grandparent, or even further back. The question here asked for European views on Americans' "obsession" with ancestry. I am saying that those that are obsessed appear ridiculous to Europeans (or at least to me) because the veneer of their "heritage" is so fragile.

I think what people from "The New World" might not understand is that, in terms of history, I share more in an historic sense with, say, a Spaniard, than I do with someone from a former British colony such as the US or Canada. America sought to strike out and distance itself from its British (and European) history as a means through which to found an independent, free nation not shackled by the monarchic tyranny which marked centuries of rule in Britain and elsewhere. However, we, in Europe, experienced another few centuries of interrelation with our European cousins: war, economic migration etc. This links us more historically and politically than with any "Old World" former colony. I believe this plays a part in one's identity, and the struggle for it that sometimes occurs in liberated or newly-independent nations.

This is not to say I "don't get on" with North Americans or anything; rather, I am trying to point out the complexity of historicity.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm curious how you all feel about the fact that Americans of European descent hold on to their immigrant ancestry even many generations later, and even if their parents didn't raise them practicing any customs or traditions from that culture. It's not uncommon in the States to be asked, "What are you?" (meaning where did your ancestors come from) and I've always thought this probably seems kind of strange to other people in the world.

I'm especially interested in what European members' thoughts are, but I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I have some of my own ideas on this, of course, but I want to hear yours first. :)

From a European standpoint, I see it like this.
America has changed in this regard in my lifetime. America was involved in the European War 1939 - 45.
There were strong personal links among the people of the two continents after the war, that lasted for four decades. The American soldiers who had fought in Europe used to come back, every summer. They took their families with them.

This generation is now dead, or dying. The new generation does not have such personal ties with Europe.
You do not see Americans in European cites any more. They used to be everywhere. Even the widows came here, after their husbands had died. There were busloads of them. We used to call them flower-hat aunts.

European-Americans' interest in their ancestry is waned.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Why is it that so many people here are so touchy about Europe and always suspect European arrogance even when there is none involved (not that it doesn't exist at all, but at least on the forum I have seen more Americans complain about European snobism than actual European snobs).

It's directly related to our founding myths. The revolutionaries saw Europeans as aristocratic and "lording over" us in an arrogant way that didn't take our needs into account. They might also have viewed those who chose to stay in Europe as being "spoiled to civilization," and not having the same pioneering spirit as themselves. I think that this misconception became amplified and distorted with time, and it's especially incorrect now, because Americans are fairly well-off and spoiled to civilization themselves now. Unless you live out in the country or have lived a fairly hard life with few modern comforts, you really don't have any business calling Europeans snobs.

It also didn't help, that when some of the descendents of the colonists went back to Europe, they were viewed as "provincial," and out of touch with European culture. Which they were, of course, but the Americans perceived this as snobbery, because they felt that they weren't being given the same respect as native-born British subjects. This helped fuel revolutionary sentiment. Ego... is a strange and powerful thing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why is it strange? Europeans get to be so certain of their history and lineage. Americans tend to have to trace our history and lineage because to even have a sense of the past...well, we must. Plus, often where your immigrant ancestors were from largely does affect your family for generations, whether you realize it or not. It affects accents, food eaten, religion followed, in some cases even socio-economic status.

It also conveniently answers the question, "Why was your grandfather so dark?" and "why does your sister look hispanic?" It's like, well, because we're Native American. And I can also tell you it makes a difference in genetic health problems, and sometimes even in some cultural tendencies...I think the Southern tendency to run around barefoot is rooted in Native American cultures. People from other parts of the country think it's positively freakish that I walk around barefoot outside so much.

I just love other cultures, anyway, and I would suspect that people who are deeply into it just like studying world cultures as I do.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In England, your "lineage" is generally considered to go back to your grandparents. So, for example, if your grandparents are Italian (like mine), people might say I'm half-Italian. However, I would always call myself English (if in Britain) and British (if elsewhere). If people make a comment about it, then I'll tell them, but it's not at all imperative.
Its the same here in New Zealand and we are also an immigrant nation like USA. I admit I have also found it rather odd how central heritage is to Americans. We are rather blasé about such things.

This. In addition, many of the immigrant communities in early America did not get along well, to put it mildly. So your identity of ancestry also determined who had your back and who you should be wary of. I'm sure that kind of thing has an effect down through the generations even if the original reason for it is rendered moot.
Yes, I've heard this explanation before and its interesting. New Zealand probably had mild divisions in its early days but these divisions didn't endure for long. I'm so mixed in ancestory (with only 3 nationalities I know for sure) I couldn't possibly straight-forwardly tell you "where I came from". I wonder why, comparatively, Americans held on to the divisions of ancestory and resisted intermixing for so long... :huh:

What comes to mind is the Maori in New Zealand do something similar, though they've lived there for a while longer than Europeans (meaning the current, after 1492, emigrants), they tell eachother's ancestry back to the first set of tribes that have come to the island(s) and it is of high importance to them (something similar to their name, or more important than that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whakapapa
Yes. The tribes are each named after the corresponding canoe that brought them to New Zealand sometime in the 14th century. Although if I wanted to, I could probably trace my Maori lineage back to this too, as almost everyone whose ancestors have been here long enough has Maori blood in them - just as all Maori have European blood too.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I agree with this. I find people that do this to be terribly irritating. Having onegrandparent born in a different country barely connects you at all to that place - one knows nothing of it, or of its ways. I think what is telling is when "an Italian" (from America) meets a real Italian. In most cases, the Americans don't even speak Italian. If they do, they speak an appalling "dialect" which does not follow correct rules of pronunciation - it's barely comprehensible. I don't speak Italian that well to be fair, but they seem to create their own brutalised language. I think this shows the distance that exists between these two cultures and the subsequent ludicrousness of "hanging on" to a mythologised past.

All languages are dialects. To call any dialect a brutalised language displays bias, and it is a sign of intolerance. Appalling to you or not, a dialect is a language, and therefore it always does follow the correct rules of pronunciation of that very language.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I grew up in Washington, DC. It is an international city, so I imagine that all this holds different meaning to me than someone from somewhere more heterogeneous. That said, I imagine that this is phenomenon that occurs everywhere.

It is a little silly. I hardly know anything of the culture of Lithuania or any of the other poor, hairy, jewish communities that my ancestors came from. That said, I don't pretend to be "Lithuanian." I'm an American. However, it is an object of curiosity. Many of my classmates were directly from or their parents were from (in some cases diplomats for) foreign places. Sometimes it is a legitimate tie to culture. In other cases, it's just interesting. People have different colors and shapes and as someone else mentioned, the question "what are you?" isn't uncommon.

It's a taxonomic curiosity that, in most cases, is a simple way to begin a conversation, to flirt, or to learn about family.

FYI: I am interested in my family history in terms of what they did. Their location is part of that, but the interests and occupations that they had I do think is interesting and possibly relevant.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think there are some differences between Canada and the States in this regard too, as Peguy said. This is partially due to Canada being a newer country, but it also has to do with their policies encouraging pockets of people to remain distinct rather than necessarily identifying as Canadian. In some regards I think this has resulted in a fairly apathetic, unpatriotic country, and in other regards I think it is positive.

In my part of Canada, most people's families immigrated here in the early 1900s. People were still very distinctly their ethnicity up until my generation. Even for those who have been here for a couple of generations, you still hear distinct Ukranian accents among my grandparent's generation or can tell that someone from even my generation is Mennonite German by usage of certain words. During my mum's childhood, there was still an Orangeman's Parade every year. During my growing up years we had two separate referendums to determine whether Quebec (French Canada) would remain a part of English Canada. It's only in the last few years that you see aboriginal people in my area graduating from high school, working at businesses around town, or becoming professionals. Even though most of the young people no longer speak Cree, they still have an accent. When I was growing up, there was still a lot of predjudice against Ukranian people and people of that descent from my parent's generation actually changed their last names so that they would get hired to be teachers etc. In Eastern Canada, there are still pockets of older people who speak Gaelic and Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia has an extremely strong Scottish culture that has been maintained since the Scottish people immigrated there more than 200 years ago. Newfoundland in eastern Canada is very culturally unique from the rest of Canada and still has dialects and accents and expressions that can easily be traced back to the areas of England and Ireland they came from (some came over 400 years ago!). BC has an enormous population of Japanese, Chinese and Indian immigrants - some from a long time ago and some very recent. Throughout the country there is a lot of immigration.

Whether people can still speak their language anymore, their identity, communication style, professions, opportunities, communities and culture have been deeply influenced by their roots and I believe that is why there is such an interest in rediscovering them.

Unlike the United States, Canada was established as a colony of Great Britain and even though it is considered a distinct country now, it still has maintained its ties to Britain. The education system was very much influenced by Britain as well as many policies and the political structure. While the US was established with many people fleeing religious persecution, I would guess that a greater percentage of the first immigrants to Canada came more for economic opportunities. Our history is different and it has shaped the national character in some regards.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
We (the British) sometimes make jokes about this very phenomenon. It's considered a very American concern.

In England, your "lineage" is generally considered to go back to your grandparents. So, for example, if your grandparents are Italian (like mine), people might say I'm half-Italian. However, I would always call myself English (if in Britain) and British (if elsewhere). If people make a comment about it, then I'll tell them, but it's not at all imperative..
It's very interesting that in England you consider your lineage only back to your grandparents. I didn't know that. So do you not concern yourself at all with your earlier ancestors? (That sounds a little snarky - I don't mean it that way, I'm just curious.)

It strikes me as ridiculous and I'm at a loss to understand why Americans do it. The Italian-American community bears little resemblance at all to the original Italian community. Being loud and eating a lot does not "make you Italian", so to speak. I can only suppose they call themselves "Italian-American" as a way to create a culture in a country that has/had none; I imagine it's the same for other communities. There exists a concept of "The American Dream" yet everyone seems bent on not being American, unless someone suggests they are un-American, at which point they become super-American.

I think one thing that seems to be a source of misunderstanding and contention in this thread is Americans using the phrase "I'm Italian" or "I'm Irish" etc. I think you're taking it too literally. When an American asks another American, "What are you?" it's understood to mean, "What is your heritage?" or "Where did your ancestors immigrate from?" And when the answer is "I'm Irish" or what not, we don't mean, or think, that we are Irish in the way that people living in Ireland are Irish. It's understood to mean that we're of Irish descent. I can understand that this sounds strange to Europeans, but you need to understand that it's not meant literally. We all know that we are Americans.

It's not really that odd when you look at American history and the basic logic behind it. America, like any country really, is a community of communities. And in America's particular case, our plurality of communities included immigrants from various countries who came here and settled in common neighborhoods and communities; and thus mixed the traditions of the old country with those of the American mainstream. You find this among many diaspora communities around the world, not just America.
Yes, very good point.

It's interesting to trace your ancestry because in America, unless you're Native American, you could have come from anywhere. Your mother and father could be from two different continents. It can carry meaning in how invested you are in the country itself, too. It's different if your people came here in the 1700's than if your parents are from Europe, or you moved here as a child. There's a different degree of emotional investment, I think. I read someone's remark here, I can't remember what the whole conversation was, just someone wrote, "Anyone can be an American," and it was kind of a kick in the gut.
I agree.

This. In addition, many of the immigrant communities in early America did not get along well, to put it mildly. So your identity of ancestry also determined who had your back and who you should be wary of. I'm sure that kind of thing has an effect down through the generations even if the original reason for it is rendered moot.

I've also always thought that perhaps this is a way for Americans to have history. We're a very new country, and we don't have a lot of history. Identifying with your European roots is a way to connect with history. I'm almost 100% of Irish descent. I wouldn't say exactly that I'm proud of it, but I enjoy knowing that and exploring Irish culture and history to give my family a context. It also definitely enhanced my experience when I have visited Ireland in the past.
Yes.

I agree with this. I find people that do this to be terribly irritating. Having one grandparent born in a different country barely connects you at all to that place - one knows nothing of it, or of its ways. I think what is telling is when "an Italian" (from America) meets a real Italian. In most cases, the Americans don't even speak Italian. If they do, they speak an appalling "dialect" which does not follow correct rules of pronunciation - it's barely comprehensible. I don't speak Italian that well to be fair, but they seem to create their own brutalised language. I think this shows the distance that exists between these two cultures and the subsequent ludicrousness of "hanging on" to a mythologised past.

Well, it might be true that someone with one Italian (or whatever) grandparent might not know anything about Italian culture, or know the language. That's even more true for people like me, who are many, many generations removed from their immigrant ancestor. But part of the reason for that is that a lot of people who immigrated to America did so to escape poverty, persecution, etc in their country of origin, and therefore had negative experiences associated with that culture and language. Also, when they arrived in America, they were often discriminated against for practicing their native culture and speaking their native language, so they often abandoned their language and traditions in order to get jobs, find housing, etc. They often had neither the time nor the inclination to keep up their old traditions and language. If they had, perhaps they would have passed them down more consistently to their children and grandchildren, and we would know more about our heritages. Also, since people of Irish (for example) ancestry are no longer discriminated against, we are now free to explore our our Irish identity. Actually this is a recognized sociological phenomenon, called “symbolic” or “optional ethnicity,” and it is a part of the continued process of assimilation.

Why is it strange to want to know the history of your family? People do this in every country of the world and have done it for thousands of years......You seem to be poking fun at the "pride" people have in their ancestory. I think that's a bit odd to me, if they know little about their ancestors, but simply being able to answer a question about the origins of your family is basic, even in the "melting pots" of the world.
I don't know if you're referring to me, but if so, I shoudl clarify that I am totally not poking fun - I'm just curious about others' opinions. I'm very much in favor of Americans exploring their heritage. :)

Basically, the sense is that people who are interested in it, are trying to appear more cultured and traditional than they really are.

I would respond to this, but Qlip alread said exactly what I would say:

Well, I honestly don't know anyone who uses their ancestry to look more cultured. It's more about feeling connected and curiousity.

What was said about language was referring to people who identify primarily with a culture whose language they don't understand which is not the same thing as being interested in your heritage or saying "I have Russian ancestry". Nobody said they were stupid or inferior for not speaking Italian, only that it seems strange to call yourself (primarily) Italian when you know very little about Italy and its culture.
Again, what I think is misunderstood here is that when an American says, "I'm Italian," that doesn't mean that they are claiming to be primarily Italian, or that they identify praimarily with Italian culture. We mean, "I have Italian ancestry," like you said above. :)

Why is it strange? Europeans get to be so certain of their history and lineage. Americans tend to have to trace our history and lineage because to even have a sense of the past...well, we must. Plus, often where your immigrant ancestors were from largely does affect your family for generations, whether you realize it or not. It affects accents, food eaten, religion followed, in some cases even socio-economic status.

It also conveniently answers the question, "Why was your grandfather so dark?" and "why does your sister look hispanic?" It's like, well, because we're Native American. And I can also tell you it makes a difference in genetic health problems, and sometimes even in some cultural tendencies...I think the Southern tendency to run around barefoot is rooted in Native American cultures. People from other parts of the country think it's positively freakish that I walk around barefoot outside so much.

I just love other cultures, anyway, and I would suspect that people who are deeply into it just like studying world cultures as I do.
Well said!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think there are some differences between Canada and the States in this regard too, as Peguy said. This is partially due to Canada being a newer country, but it also has to do with their policies encouraging pockets of people to remain distinct rather than necessarily identifying as Canadian. In some regards I think this has resulted in a fairly apathetic, unpatriotic country, and in other regards I think it is positive.
Wow, really? Every Canadian I have met is extremely patriotic. They have all practically had the flag tattooed on their arms.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
When I went to Newfoundland, back to my g-g-g-grandmother's little town, it was very strange. There were some pronounciations, expressions or ways of speaking that I recognized from my own grandmother, but had no idea where they had come from. It was like finding a little piece of me and I liked that.

Just recently, my friend found out that she has a considerable amount of Aboriginal ancestry that had been covered up by her mother's parents because they were ashamed of it and it wasn't advantageous socially or economically. This has greatly impacted what scholarships she is elegible for, as well as helping her to discover a significant amount of clues that put her grandfather into a much more complete context. It has affected the trajectory of her career, as she ended up deciding to go into aboriginal business admin and she works on policy regarding aboriginal affairs with the federal government.

When I taught up north, most of the people there had Scottish names, largely because of a large influx of poor Scottish workers who came to pursue the opportunities in Canada that Hudson's Bay Company had to offer. I looked up many of these people's names on the internet as well as their community and there was all kinds of history dating 200 years with stories about their ancestors from Scotland and what they were dealing with back home. These events back in Scotland two centuries ago greatly impacted the community that I was teaching in, to this day! (Not to mention that Scottish genes for red hair and blue eyes cropped up in unusual places within certain families - all the other kids might look very traditionally Cree, with one kid who had Cree features, but corkscrew red curls! Just out of curiosity about things like this, I think some people want to know where they came from.

Our appearance does affect our opportunities, even yet, as well as people's perceptions of us. In one family I know that has mixed Caucasian and Aboriginal histories, the siblings ended up turning out looking Greek, generically white, Aboriginal and Indian. These siblings may have all had exactly the same cultural background and genetics, but people responded to them in different ways.

I think these are all examples of some reasons why people want to know where they came from. Maybe it is a little bit similar to an adopted child exploring their identity by wanting to know a little bit about their birth parents, including medical information, seeing pictures, knowing about their personality or interests etc. I think that for me, knowing about my countries of origin is sort of like an extension of this in some ways.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think these are all examples of some reasons why people want to know where they came from. Maybe it is a little bit similar to an adopted child exploring their identity by wanting to know a little bit about their birth parents, including medical information, seeing pictures, knowing about their personality or interests etc. I think that for me, knowing about my countries of origin is sort of like an extension of this in some ways.
That's a really good analogy - thank you! And I liked the examples you gave, too. I think in settler nations like the US and Canada, people just want to understand where they came from and how that effects who they are. Maybe it has a significant effect, maybe it doesn't have much of one, but I think it's still important.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Gratitude for the opportunity to live in a country that has a decent standard of living, opportunities, natural resources, economic and politic stability, and freedom to live in the manner you choose is a sentiment that I think more Canadians should indulge in.

Many of the people my age don't even know the lyrics to our anthem, nor how to act during it, which is a symbolic way of saying that they appreciate their country and recognize that they have been given tremendous opportunities that many other people don't enjoy or have access to. They do not exercise the right to vote, nor inform themselves, even though they wish to enjoy the benefits of living here. There is not enough focus on how we manage our resources, and how we develop an industrious younger generation so that those opportunities are still there in the future. We have enjoyed enough prosperity that I think many people no longer recognize what they have or take advantage of it.

Patriotism for patriotism's sake, not so much. That can become either war-inducing or obnoxiously patronizing. The opportunity to live in a pleasant place does not mean that the occupants of it are necessarily deserving of it simply by their existance in that place.

S

Sniffles

For awhile the Irish, with their strong ethnic pride, were seen as the archetypical patriotic Americans. Take the American Civil War:

[youtube="yavz9rzaOSY"]Irish Volunteer song[/youtube]

[youtube="EQL_EQi3M3o"]Irish Volunteer song II[/youtube]

[youtube="aWB7_o6x6DA"]Confederate Irish[/youtube]