• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Common, everyday psychopaths

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm curious - how can you be sure that you are correct that these people are sociopaths and not people you just have a natural antipathy for? Not suggesting you haven't I'm just wondering how you can be sure and thus be certain of the accuracy of your gut reaction. The reason I ask is - is it possible that some people develop an ability to spot these types of personalities as an evolutionary adaptation? It seems reasonable that in a primitive situation where cooperation was essential and life was balanced on a knife edge in the best of times having a sociopath in the primary group could be a serious problem.

I'm very intrigued about your talent. If you are inclined I'd be curious to hear more about it.

my hypothesis is just the opposite. many scientists claim that grief for the dead, caring deeply for others and feelings of guilt and shame evolved throughout the evolution of homo sapiens sapiens. it's possible that most of the psychopaths would have died out because they lacked group cooperation skills and would have likely been cast out of the tribe or killed by the emerging non psychopath humans. this would have lead to non psychopath humans having strength in numbers and thus evolutionary advantage. however, in recent years, the independence, ambition and intelligence of psychopaths have allowed them to advance very far in society. this would not have been possible 10,000 years ago

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
my hypothesis is just the opposite. many scientists claim that grief for the dead, caring deeply for others and feelings of guilt and shame evolved throughout the evolution of homo sapiens sapiens. it's possible that most of the psychopaths would have died out because they lacked group cooperation skills and would have likely been cast out of the tribe or killed by the emerging non psychopath humans. this would have lead to non psychopath humans having strength in numbers and thus evolutionary advantage. however, in recent years, the independence, ambition and intelligence of psychopaths have allowed them to advance very far in society. this would not have been possible 10,000 years ago

Interesting idea. But... the implication is that these early humanoids/humans had the ability to detect these individuals. How and why? And why drive them out or kill them? Unless of course they are a liability as I speculate they would be. Or this could be just one of those quirks that show up from time to time in species. I suspect, however, that being able to "read" members of the group was an essential skill and individuals who had the ability to spot anti-social personalities would have an evolutionary advantage – what that advantage was I’m not sure.

It might be as simple as surviving longer and thus increasing their chances of reproducing because their primary groups were stronger. Then again maybe this trait gave them capabilities that gave them better access to mates if they were male or better access to higher quality mates if female.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting idea. But... the implication is that these early humanoids/humans had the ability to detect these individuals. How and why? And why drive them out or kill them? Unless of course they are a liability as I speculate they would be. Or this could be just one of those quirks that show up from time to time in species. I suspect, however, that being able to "read" members of the group was an essential skill and individuals who had the ability to spot anti-social personalities would have an evolutionary advantage – what that advantage was I’m not sure.

It might be as simple as surviving longer and thus increasing their chances of reproducing because their primary groups were stronger. Then again maybe this trait gave them capabilities that gave them better access to mates if they were male or better access to higher quality mates if female.

- primitive peoples relied more on body language and voice inflection because language wasn't developed yet, so they would be able to tell things like that more intuitively than people nowadays for the same reason that blind people have better hearing or deaf people pick up on visual ques better (with the exception of living people who have extensively studied it)
- a psychopath would be a serious detriment to a tribe of on psychopaths. psychopaths are only able to sustain a relationship with a group like a parasite. thus, they would have immense difficulty in a tribal setting

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

- primitive peoples relied more on body language and voice inflection because language wasn't developed yet, so they would be able to tell things like that more intuitively than people nowadays for the same reason that blind people have better hearing or deaf people pick up on visual ques better (with the exception of living people who have extensively studied it)
- a psychopath would be a serious detriment to a tribe of on psychopaths. psychopaths are only able to sustain a relationship with a group like a parasite. thus, they would have immense difficulty in a tribal setting

This is a VERY interesting theory and makes a lot of sense. Maybe this is why there are so few INTJs. (I'M JOKING!! HA HA!!...there are even less INFJs are they're known for their empathy...)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a VERY interesting theory and makes a lot of sense. Maybe this is why there are so few INTJs. (I'M JOKING!! HA HA!!...there are even less INFJs are they're known for their empathy...)

my best friend is an abused INTJ 8w7 Sp/Sx so he looks pretty damn sociopathic sometimes, but I think he's mentally healthy. recently he's tapped into his Fi a great deal and is thinking "damn, you were right, being internally congruent and having strong convictions feels good!" healthy use of Fi is really a great remedy for psychological trauma that causes internal incongruencies.

Edit: glad you liked it. all those documentaries on hominid evolution I've been watching are paying off :D

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Maybe I should change my x to N to help bolster their numbers.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Prisons aren't as populated with sociopaths as one might think. The majority of people hounded by the justice system are those who were pushed to the brink or dumbasses. If sociopaths occupy a higher plain of intelligence and lack affect, then they can endure the forces that would compel most to break the law and calculate the consequences of their actions in ways tailored to their self-preservation. Even Hannibal Lector was useful and cunning in the grander scheme of things.

I could have been more clear. I was referencing supermax prisons and prisons for the criminally insane.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm curious - how can you be sure that you are correct that these people are sociopaths and not people you just have a natural antipathy for? Not suggesting you haven't I'm just wondering how you can be sure and thus be certain of the accuracy of your gut reaction. The reason I ask is - is it possible that some people develop an ability to spot these types of personalities as an evolutionary adaptation? It seems reasonable that in a primitive situation where cooperation was essential and life was balanced on a knife edge in the best of times having a sociopath in the primary group could be a serious problem.

I'm very intrigued about your talent. If you are inclined I'd be curious to hear more about it.

I would be happy to answer questions, if you read this article it will explain a good bit about me. I am a slow typist and honest when answering questions. Less forthcoming in my prose.

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

G

Glycerine

I always assume that most psychopaths end up in upper management positions. It explains alot and it has the advantage of keeping me on my toes around them.
I looked up "psychopath/sociopath/ASD" a few weeks back and the information seems to point in that direction because those individuals will bulldoze others to get out ahead and the "superficial charm" seems to be a good asset for making good first impressions. Scary... I make it a policy not to get close to others who are overly charming. hah

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i'm pretty sure i know a sociopath. my best guess typing him would be estp 8w7. he's a crack dealer/pimp and seriously the most selfish person i've ever met. hanging out with him is like watching a trainwreck. one time i was in the car with him and his girlfriend, he was fucked up and hit a parked car and completely smashed the passenger side window. his girlfriend had glass all over her and was lucky she didnt get seriously hurt, but he ended up making her get out of the car and clean it up for him. he also used to show up at my house early in the morning and decide to make that his home base for the day, just stayed there coming in and out for over 12 hours one time. cooked crack in my apartment in my pot without asking. idk i get some sick fascination out of him because of how little he cares about other people's feelings/what people think of him. he gets social security for his back problems (which he exaggerates a lot) and when i hear him on the phone with the government people i'm amazed at how he gets all sweet and turns the charm on and calls people ma'am.

i've met a large portion of his family though and they are all fucking insane in their own special way. his dad's the worst of all.

holy shit. I'd keep him the fuck out your house if I were you. If cops do raid the place, they're going to get YOU for it - they're not going to care or investigate who actually had the oven mitts on - not that it's easy to prove, anyway. They'll just know that it was on YOUR stove.

That's probably exactly why he's doing it at your house in the first place.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is a conscience, after all? What's the motivation for not doing wrong, if there are no actual consequences (now or later)?

(And I don't mean about going to hell, being reincarnated as a lobster or whatever religious consequence)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
holy shit. I'd keep him the fuck out your house if I were you. If cops do raid the place, they're going to get YOU for it - they're not going to care or investigate who actually had the oven mitts on - not that it's easy to prove, anyway. They'll just know that it was on YOUR stove.

Not only that but she could get hurt being around this person - I mean just get dragged into the chaos somehow. I wouldn't let someone like that in my house, even if they weren't cooking crack.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

it was a small amount, and i do drugs (not crack, but still) so i'm not going to be a hypocrite and i honestly wasn't bothered by it. plus i can name at least 10 drug dealers just on my block, the chance of my apartment getting raided is slim to none. i was more amused then anything just at how shameless he is.

anyway, i know how to deal with him and chill everything out so he doesn't get too crazy. and i know when and why he's using me, but he has his uses too so we keep him around. he hasn't been by in a couple months, he just pops by every once in a while and it's always a memorable experience. and his girlfriend is usually with him and she's a smart girl and keeps him mostly in line. but she is a little brainwashed by him and it makes me feel bad for her.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Psychopaths Revealed By Computer Analysis
Analysis by Jesse Emspak
Oct 18, 2011
Discovery News blog

Analyzing text may be the best way to weed out a psychopaths from society and even on social networks.

A group of researchers at Cornell and the University of British Columbia looked at the kinds of words criminals used when describing the crimes they committed. The team found that the words of psychopathic murderers reflected selfishness, detachment from the crimes and emotional flatness. If psychopaths could be identified through their language, it could speed up analysis of the psychological problem and improve treatment and it could also help crime investigators to identify killers on social networks.

Psychopathy, a subset of antisocial personality disorder, is marked by an inability to empathize with others and a lack of remorse. Psychopaths also have trouble recognizing emotions in others. For example, when shown photos of faces they have difficulty reading expressions to figure out what a person feels.

To test the hypothesis, the researchers looked at 52 men in Canadian prisons for murder. Of that group, 14 were diagnosed as psychopaths; 38 were in a group that was not. Each was asked to verbally describe their crime in detail, and the transcription was analyzed with a computer.

The psychopaths used more conjunctions such as “because,” “since,” or “so that,” which all imply that a crime was necessary. They also used twice as many words that related to physical needs like food, money or sex. In fact, some described what they had to eat on the day of the crime.

People who weren’t psychopaths used words that reflected social needs, speaking of their spirituality, religion or family.

The psychopaths tested also tended to use the past tense more and pause often when they spoke (using “ums” a lot). Hancock and his colleagues think that means they are trying to frame their replies to make a good impression, and so have to spend more time on it.

Some of the hallmarks of psychopathy are impulsiveness, pathological lying, and manipulative behavior. That’s why many can be superficially charming; they tend to be extroverted and spend a lot of time practicing what they think other people want to hear, since whether any of it is true or not doesn’t matter.

The study also revealed that psychopaths are rational, at least insofar as their impulsive behavior allows.

Via: Cornell University, Legal and Criminal Psychology

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
^ Very interesting find!

I wonder if we can get the algorithm and set it up as a forum notification?

You have 1 friend request
You have 3 visitor messages
You have 1 psychopath alert in 1 visitor message

:biggrin:

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
My grandmother is a sociopath definitely. It's impossible to avoid her though. She goes off the grid and comes back with a fucking tornado every time I see her. x_X
....a tornado of drama and all sorts of other crap!.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, Makes me wonder than.

I lie, trick and manipulate for fun. Even as a hobby....no guilt

I have empathy for few, only innocent people.

If I find you evil, your screwed.

I'm an amazing people reader.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Analyzing text may be the best way to weed out a psychopaths from society and even on social networks.

The psychopaths used more conjunctions such as “because,” “since,” or “so that,” which all imply that a crime was necessary.

Quite right. Overuse of conjunctions ought to be a punishable offence.