• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sarah Haskins' "Target: Women"

rav3n

disregard, for some reason I have issues with this. Are we women so stupid that we can't siphon out the crap ourselves? Can't we just do, rather than expecting to be led whether it's for our own "good" or not?

Sorry about venting but it gets to me sometimes.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't watch the video now, but I'm confused about the premise. Certainly women aren't the only targets of ads - many ads are selectively targeted to men, teenagers, children, etc. Why does she focus on women? It seems kinda strange, I'd rather hear about how ads appeal to various groups rather than focusing on one.

Ads in general are pretty insidious, though. And many are ridiculous. They're sortof designed to be.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dude, Sarah comes into my Starbucks all the time. She's super nice and SUPER preggers. I love her skits.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
disregard, for some reason I have issues with this. Are we women so stupid that we can't siphon out the crap ourselves? Can't we just do, rather than expecting to be led whether it's for our own "good" or not?

Sorry about venting but it gets to me sometimes.

Just take it for what it is. You're overthinking it. She is a comedian.

I can't watch the video now, but I'm confused about the premise. Certainly women aren't the only targets of ads - many ads are selectively targeted to men, teenagers, children, etc. Why does she focus on women? It seems kinda strange, I'd rather hear about how ads appeal to various groups rather than focusing on one.

Ads in general are pretty insidious, though. And many are ridiculous. They're sortof designed to be.
Always watch a video before commenting on it. In this case there are many videos.

Dude, Sarah comes into my Starbucks all the time. She's super nice and SUPER preggers. I love her skits.
Cool. Nice to see you around, friend.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way I understood the concept, it is neither about warning helpless female victims of advertisement nor about analyzing how advertisement is tailored to a specific target group but about the ridiculously stereotypical and very limited concept of femininity that these ads transmit. She makes fun of the idea that women are all about buying shoes, having diet issues, dreaming of a white wedding etc.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, that makes more sense. Although ads do portray a stereotyped masculinity (or lack thereof, in some cases) as well. The OP didn't mention it was a comedian which changes things.

I'll try to remember to watch it when I'm home since it does sound interesting.

rav3n

You're right, I was overthinking the clip. But I'll admit to not finding the two skits watched as funny or clever. They're more "in your face" kind of humour.

E

Epiphany

Oh, that makes more sense. Although ads do portray a stereotyped masculinity (or lack thereof, in some cases) as well.

Agreed. Advertisers are adept at playing on people's insecurities. If you don't feel inadequate already, they'll do everything in their power to bring you down. Supply and demand. If there is no demand for their supply, then they will manipulate consumers' fears to create one. There's no question that mainstream marketing aims to reinforce stereotypes. A controlled population is an obedient one.

I found this particularly amusing.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ7nBugejXs"]Broadview Security[/YOUTUBE]