• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts: How Do You Experience Introversion?

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm surprised nobody made this one based on the extroverted one.

When any introverts out there can tear themselves away from the books they're currently reading, please take a moment to explain how you experience introversion.

What stimulates you? How much external stimulation can you tolerate? What is your internal world like? How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it? What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize?

Thank you for your participation. You may return to your book reading. :D

sassafrassquatch

For me it's like claustrophobia. Being around people is like being stuck inside a cramped, hot, stuffy space with no room to move. When I get to be alone again it's like being able to stretch out and it's cool and refreshing.

People suck.

Griffi97

MBTI Type
INFJ
What stimulates you? How much external stimulation can you tolerate? What is your internal world like? How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it? What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize?

:D

Hhmmm... Let me think about this one.

What stimulates me is finding another person who I can relate to and discuss things in depth. I also really enjoy movies that stimulate the same type of thought processes, new ideas, things I've never thought about, etc. Lessons on humanity.

I am a veterinarian and work about 3 days a week, which is about all the external stimulation I can take. I interact with people all day, both staff members who are familiar to me and clients, many of whom I don't know well or have never met. My primary reason for being there is for the animals, but I do enjoy the aspect of helping the owners as well, as I deeply appreciate the human-animal bond and I naturally empathize with both the pet and the person when there are problems.

As far as what my internal world is like, I would say I spend a lot of time thinking, pondering possibilites, remembering past events and trying to analyze how they impact my current behavior. I often have trouble sleeping at night, especially if I have been overstimulated that day by interacting with too many people.

I need alone time every day. I always make it a point to go home at lunch when I'm working, just to get away from the constant interaction with so many people. On days when my husband is working and I'm home, I will spend almost the whole day in silent thought, sometimes organizing things and working on ongoing projects, and sometimes just sitting with my dogs and enjoying their company. On days when my husband and I are both home, I feel a little invaded. It is strange since he and I are so close and I crave at least some attention from him every day. But I still need my own space.

What most people don't realize about intraverts... I think extraverts are a bit confused at times when I don't show an outward reaction to things. They sometimes assume there is no emotional response when in fact the emotions are tightly under wraps rather than on display for the whole world to see.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I get my best ideas while I'm
i. taking a shower
ii. laying in bed in the total darkness of my room

And I solve problems
iii. when I don't concentrate on finding the solution.

I suppose due to my Fe in the auxillary place I can tolerate social gatherings and dinners and whatnot as long as they don't happen too often. I know when I'm drained, though.

I only need alone time when I feel drained. Otherwise it's simply a preference. Well, inherently I am both social and a loner -- I can't really function without loved ones and friends, and I can be affectionate too -- but more of the latter.

Generally I get along with people. I've never held a grudge in my life. In real life I could be characterized as happy-go-lucky to an extent, and rather serious to another extent. But mostly I'm calm and a silent fellow. I am also shy and I suck at eye contact especially with females I find attractive in some way, as I generally avert my eyes just as they meet, see my signature. Recently found out that alcohol helps. :) (Yeah, I have no girlfriend. Sue me!)

I'm not quite sure about what stimulates me. I definitely like reading a lot, and have a preference for fiction. I can devour any book if I find it stimulating or engaging enough. I also spend a lot of my free time reading Wikipedia in a fairly passive sort of way, you could say that I maintain this ever-existing, passive curiosity towards the world. Often it manifests in ambivalence -- I can't say I'm passionate about a great deal of things. I like introspection and especially looking at things from perspectives I hadn't thought of before. Reading, and to a lesser extent, social interaction and observation helps achieve these new perspectives. I used to frown at myself for being so reliant on these factors to cause these shifts in view -- then I realized that's just how things work. See, there's an example!

Generally though my self-esteem isn't high. Speaking a bit more specifically as an IN, I can't live the moment. (though alcohol helps here too!). I am also a bit of an underachiever (according to external sources, of course) at my high school with no favourte or disliked subjects -- due to the aforementioned ambivalence, I don't really spend any time on schoolwork, and so far I've found that nothing really engages me very much, regardless of the difficulty. (it is not the case that I breeze through everything) I just felt like mentioning it as it probably has ties to the natural self-absorption of most introverts.

This was fun. Hope it's been informative.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I experience my introversion as a need for time alone, space, quiet and not too much stimulation. Usually I can handle two social events in one day, eg, a walk with a friend in the morning and coffee in the afternoon with another, but then don't feel like doing something in the evening.

Too much commotion is upsetting; eg, a group of loud people in a confined space bothers me. I ran into such a situation today - some middle school kids were goofing around in a small library. I fled.

Meeting and greeting many people is very tiring. When I worked at an annual international book fair comprised of 240+ dealers and 1000s of customers, it was heavenly to escape to the little hospitality room for a cup of coffee and silence. An Introvert must have designed it - a quiet space completely enclosed by blue fabric walls.

That said, I love to relate to people, either one on one or in small groups. Like Nadir, I need friends and loved ones, just not too many at once.

I get stimulation from friends, family, books, classes, volunteer jobs, walking in nature, the Internet, films and my hobbies.

It's hard for some people, including my family, to understand how uncomfortable I feel when overstimulated by noise, bright lights and too much sensation. Superstores are my undoing for this reason. I don't even like overhead lights at home, preferring a softer diffused light from lamps.

Jae Rae

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I read somewhere that introverts don't like noisy work environments, but if they have a low need for stability (high T), then they're likely to be able to adapt to anything. That's how I was with school work. I didn't care too much about the environment.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My experience of introversion is experienced as a disinterest in most people, but then again, I am able to become very interested in certain appealing individuals. I do like to talk and socialize with interesting people, but it's getting harder and harder to find those these days.

I'm an INTP so new ideas stimulate me. I really do like to think about complex, abstract things, and I spend a lot of time doing this. I know. It makes me the life of the party. :party2:

I can't tolerate as much external stimulation as the average person. The more annoying the stimulation, the worse it is.

My internal world involves lots of thinking about abstract concepts and lots of introspection. Sometimes I think about music too, but music is getting old cause I know too much about it. Sometimes, now, I can hear guitar parts and know exactly how to play them on a guitar before I even pick it up. It's just based on similarities to songs or scales I already know.

I'm not sure how much alone time I need, because I generally don't have too many oppurutunities to be with people. However much, I need, I get more than enough.

Being an introvert keeps me from making enemies.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I find that I honestly hate being alone, but at the same time, I need to be at times. I get so overwhelmed with any social situation that I have to randomly, and usually out of nowhere, remove myself from it. Once I am alone, I end up missing the group dynamic, and wonder why I ended up wanting to hang out by myself. I am not sure if I am so close on the E/I border that both of those things end up competing with each other, or if this is a normal thing that I's tend to go through.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
What stimulates you?

To be honest, I don't really know. I suppose it's just whatever interests me. If I find something interesting, I could spend hours learning or reading about it, or working on it. (I've stayed up to 2 or 3AM before just reading about something that interested me for some reason.).

Most of the time, I'm quiet, serious, somewhat shy, and generally don't really do too much, but then there are times, like last week, where I spent around 19 hours a day in school, going to classes, and then working on building a robot for a competition until close to midnight. If something gets my interest, I can throw myself at it, and not just ignore everything else, I truly won't feel it. I was more awake on those days with 4 hours of sleep than I normally am with 9 hours.

How much external stimulation can you tolerate?

That all depends on who I'm with. If I'm with a group of people that I don't know and/or don't share any interests with, I want to leave as soon as possible. I can spend days at a time with a friend or two, and in groups with people that I know well/have common interests with, I can spend lots of time as well without feeling "drained".

What is your internal world like?

Hmm. It's sort of where I work things out/go over what I or others have done/said. I do my best thinking alone.

My "internal world" is also where I tend to rationalize/reduce most emotions/stress. It's not that I don't have them, you just never see them unless something so extreme that I can't handle it internally happens. (Only once that I can remember). I might not cry at a funeral, but I'm probably more upset than you on the inside. I use activities as a way to let them out of me, usually skiing, making something, or occasionally, paintball.

How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it?

How much time all depends on what I've been doing, as I said above. However, I always do need at least some time to myself, going more than a few days without some alone time does mess me up a bit.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

When any introverts out there can tear themselves away from the books they're currently reading, please take a moment to explain how you experience introversion.

Just for the record, I don't read very much. I'm very visual and prefer video.

It would take an enormous amount of time to figure out accurate answers to your questions, so I'm just going to leave you with one observation.

A few years ago, I had an ISFJ friend who would come over to my house every day. She would arrive about 5 minutes after my kids got on the bus and she would leave when they got home. In about 2 or 3 weeks I became very depressed and had suicidal thoughts. The first time it happened, I didn't know what was the matter with me. When it happened again a short while later, I realized that it was because I had gone too long without being alone.

It's not just that I wasn't alone. She was also very emotionally demanding. I had to be careful of her feelings when I talked. I was under a lot of stress and pressure when she was here.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It's not just that I wasn't alone. She was also very emotionally demanding. I had to be careful of her feelings when I talked. I was under a lot of stress and pressure when she was here.

Yeah, that's the kinda stuff I'm talking about that drains the hell out of my extraversion reserves. Stupid people that go blah blah blah about simple boring crap are similarly draining.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
  • What stimulates you?
    Opportunities to learn something profound about the world around me or about how I relate or respond to it.
  • How much external stimulation can you tolerate?
    Only that which I initiate for the most part.
  • What is your internal world like?
    It's surreal in a good way.
  • How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it?
    A lot. We're talking 20 hours per day.
  • What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize?
    We are quite sociable.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ

Interesting conversation, stimulants, and anything that produces adrenaline stimulate me. I can tolerate a large amount of external stimulation...but I normally don't like to go as far as I possibly can. If I am spending time with close friends, I need almost no alone time. If I am spending time with people I am not entirely comfortable with I will need at least a couple of hours a day.

What comes along with being an I that most people don't realize? Sometimes we just literally cannot think of something to say. No matter how hard we try our mind just refuses to work. Don't think we are just trying to be rude or awkward, we may actually be dieing to talk to someone.

With that said, I am becoming a relatively weak I.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
What comes along with being an I that most people don't realize? Sometimes we just literally cannot think of something to say. No matter how hard we try our mind just refuses to work.

This is why I hate being asked to pray in front of others, even my friends. I usually just don't have that much to say or ask for.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
This is why I hate being asked to pray in front of others, even my friends. I usually just don't have that much to say or ask for.

Yes, I simply refused to do this. If God had a problem he could take it up with me at some point.

I remember the one time I got called on to read something for my Spanish class. At the end of the class, when everyone was leaving the teacher walked up to me and says, "Don't worry. I won't ever ask you to read anything again." lol

redacted

i love people a lot. and i try to spend as much time with them as possible. it's just that i can't really deal with large groups of people well.

here's a typical party for me:
- get together with a group of my close friends
- try to convince them not to go to the party and fail
- get to the party, find 1-2 other people i care about
- awkwardly say hi to a few people that are friends with my friends
- awkwardly not say hi to other people because i don't know if they remember me (or maybe i'll say hi if it's obvious they notice me)
- get uncomfortable and go outside to smoke cigarettes, trying to round up my close friends along the way
- stand outside smoking cigarettes, talking pretty much only to the people i came with
- go back inside to test if it's gotten any less awkward, which obviously never happens
- go back outside to smoke more cigarettes
- feel sick from smoking like 10 cigarettes
- try to convince my friends to leave
- stand around looking uncomfortable until someone finally agrees to leave with me
- talk with he/she on the walk home about how every party is exactly the same
- finally feel comfortable when back at my apt or one of my close friends' apts

that might be a slight exaggeration; it's possible i'll have a good conversation with a stranger, but only if it's one on one or if i know everyone else in the circle quite well.

but then they just turn into people i'll awkwardly say hi to at other parties...

p.s. i hate dancefloors.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think whether one goes to a party or not is not as good of a measure of extraversion as what one does while at a party and maybe at the end or afterwards.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
A few years ago, I had an ISFJ friend who would come over to my house every day. She would arrive about 5 minutes after my kids got on the bus and she would leave when they got home. In about 2 or 3 weeks I became very depressed and had suicidal thoughts. The first time it happened, I didn't know what was the matter with me. When it happened again a short while later, I realized that it was because I had gone too long without being alone.

Gosh, of course you were exhausted - you were entertaining this woman
7-8 hours a day/40 hours a week. :yes: Most people would find that enervating, not to mention annoying and depressing.

A few years ago my best friend and I got together three or four days a week, spending several hours walking and talking. But we never tried it eight hours a day, five days a week. I'm surprised you lasted as long as you did. How did it end?

Jae Rae

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think whether one goes to a party or not is not as good of a measure of extraversion as what one does while at a party and maybe at the end or afterwards.

I would have to disagree. I am an I and still like to go to parties.