• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts: How Do You Experience Introversion?

sassafrassquatch

Shit, there were questions. D'oh.

What stimulates you?

I dunno. Stuff.

How much external stimulation can you tolerate?

Not much.

What is your internal world like?

Barclay on the holodeck.

How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it?

As much as possible

What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize?

That I will kill them if they keep talking.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What stimulates you?
One on one time with friends. Going places by myself. Interesting conversations.

Not a lot at all. I get really irritated when i'm over stimulated, and i don't really know how to handle it.

It's wild, and i love it. In my internal world i am the most amazing person at everything. I always have internal competitions, like when i'm playing tetris, and i lose, i imagine that i'm now a tetris champion getting ready to beat the last person to play. I have strange thoughts and day dream regularly. I often reply conversations in my head or practice future conversations. I imagine what life would be like if certain things were different. I think about what may happen in the future.

I need a lot of alone time and i need it for several hours everyday. Sometimes i only get to be alone if i'm showering. Having a baby just doesn't allow much alone time.

I can't say what other people don't realize.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
What stimulates you?
Being alone, lost in my own thoughts, interesting conversations, learning new things, new concepts, complex issues.

Not much. Too much leaves me feeling suffocated, stressed and frustrated.

So satisfying. It's rich, there are no limits, it keeps me entertained for hours and hours on end.

I'll take as much alone time as I can get. I recently spent time alone overseas and would spend days at a time, alone, talking to no one. I never felt so happy.

That not all introverts are shy and socially inept.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know about anybody else but when I'm home alone I walk around talking to myself in a very loud voice. I may indulge in fantasy and I might make up conversations between two silly voices for what seems like, and actually is, hours.

When I was young and at a place with a lot of people that I couldn't get out of, for example a school assembly, I would imagine how I could eradicate everybody in the room using only objects in the immediate vicinity.

In later years I have found enjoyment in passing absurd and hurtful internal judgements about complete strangers. When I am on a bus, I will actively think about how I hate every single person on that bus and how every single one of them are leading shallow, purposeless lives.

I'm not saying I'm right, it just passes the time.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Gosh, of course you were exhausted - you were entertaining this woman
7-8 hours a day/40 hours a week. :yes: Most people would find that enervating, not to mention annoying and depressing.

A few years ago my best friend and I got together three or four days a week, spending several hours walking and talking. But we never tried it eight hours a day, five days a week. I'm surprised you lasted as long as you did. How did it end?

Jae Rae
Well, it was about 6 years ago, so I don't recall exactly, but I think I finally had to get up the courage (knowing that I would hurt her feelings) to tell her that we really needed to cut it back to something like 3 days a week instead of 5.

My husband had complained, too, because I wasn't getting any homemaking done while she was here.

So she decided to hire me to work for her, so that we could spend time together, and my husband couldn't complain, because I was earning money. It might have been the best job I ever had. I worked for her for 2 years. We were very close.

But because of her emotional baggage, she kept getting more and more sensitive and kept getting hurt more and more easily, and though she "forgave" me she didn't really, because I came to realize that every little hurt had been put in a pile and was stacking up against me until I was constantly in a state of being on the outs with her. We couldn't work together like that!

She decided she wanted to make a clean cut of our relationship, and though I would have preferred to have remained correspondents, she refused and that was the end of that. Although she has informed me by email when important people in her life have died.

She was the best friend I ever had, and I really learned a lot of wonderful things from her. She was very patient. Her life wasn't all about "efficiency" like mine was/is. I learned people are more important than I had been making them out to be.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As an introvert, I had to accept a lot of things about myself:

1. Everything starts with my inner world, and I go into the outer only to collect information to develop the inner. Sometimes this leaves me feeling negatively self-absorbed and perhaps sometimes I am, but up to a certain point this is just natural and good.

2. I guard my feelings and thoughts more than an extrovert does. Sometimes they misread me as aloof, or snobby, or disinterested when actually I am still very interested in them, but I'm unsure or afraid/anxious.

3. I can only handle a certain amount of group activity before I am drained. There is a cost to socializing with large groups of people... sometimes even just going to work. I also get bothered by loud noise, or lots of noise at once...sort of like if someone kept scratching at the same spot on my arm and eventually wore it raw.

4. I am not as socially connected as others because I'm happy being a homebody. I really don't WANT a routine that takes me out into the social world all the time. I like to control the time I spend with others and be able to disengage when I need to.

5. I have two thought processes going at once. The primary one is internal, but I start up another "thread" outside of me, engaging people. but throughout the entire interaction, I am thinking, speculating, evaluating, checking, challenging, imagining, etc. I have to focus hard to block out my inner world and just immerse myself in the outer... and it tires me.

Sometimes being an introvert is lonely, because I see everyone else being happy. So when I don't have a friendship available or someone to connect with, I feel alone and like no one understands. (I also don't voice everything I feel and think, so that means people don't understand there either.) It's tiresome to constantly have to articulate my inner world in order that people know me and can connect.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What stimulates you?

I'm not certain why I'm having so much trouble deciding what stimulates me, but I am!! I think it's because different things stimulate me in different ways. Good conversation can make me excited about ideas, but I think a lot of it is the interaction itself, and that connection with another person - although I guess WHAT we're actually discussing is equally important, because certain conversations really de-stimulate me. :) Just the energy between us as we're talking, maybe. That stimulates me. Connection is *really* important. A lot of external things can stimulate me too - when I'm out in nature, I can become overwhelmed with happy thoughts and energy. Same with other physical activities - might just be the endorphins, but moving around and pushing myself physically can often clear my head and energize me to do other things. Music might. I guess for me, I'm interpreting stimulation as something which brings me physical energy, excitement, positive mental/emotional energy..that sort of thing. But all of these things, with the exception of good conversation, are primarily solitary activities. I'm still in my head while I'm doing all of this stuff, even though I might be with people while I'm doing it.

I differentiate between external stimulation in the sense of just ME interacting with the world around me, vs. me interacting with another person or people. With the former, I think I can tolerate quite a bit. With the latter, not as much. Ideally, I'd like to interact with people or do something with others a few nights a week, and then the other nights I'd be perfectly fine on my own, and actually need to just be on my own doing my own thing. But usually, socially, when it rains it pours. I'll either have nothing going on for a week or two, and then I get TOO much alone time (too much alone time is not good - I need some sort of human contact, even if its just a presence, after I'm alone for more than 48 hours - otherwise I get really lonely and want some sort of interaction, and I also tend to get 'stuck' in my head and too wrapped up in my thoughts, and am prone to a downward spiral), or I have something going on 7 days in a row. If I have too much going on, initially, I'm excited about it, because I DO like connecting with people, and I enjoy being with others (assuming I like them ;-). So I can do the extroverted thing, and enjoy it, for maybe 3-4 days, but by day 5 or 6 I really start to emotionally shut down and I get really frazzled. I'll then need a good week or two to fully recover, and in that week or two I don't really want to be around anyone, or do anything. So it's a fine line.....sometimes I can't prevent overextending myself, because, well, sometimes that's just how everyones' schedules line up. But in day to day life, I'll usually 'schedule' two or three days during the week of doing nothing, and one of the weekend days to myself, in between my 'doing stuff' days, just to prevent myself from overextending, and to prevent the need to become a hermit for a week or two. :)

I guess I'm just ALWAYS thinking about stuff. My life, re-playing social interactions, broader world topics, random things...my brain is rarely not thinking about something. Even when I'm in more of a contemplative state, my mind is still on...it's just in a more mellow state, and it's more just shifting feelings and impressions rather than active thinking.

I kinda answered this one already, but I can only do *active* socializing a few times a week - where I'm in 'On' mode, really listening, trying to talk more, and trying to be more of an active conversationalist. I'm not much of a talker. If I didn't *have* to talk and could just ride along with a person or group, without being expected to talk or anything, I'd be able to socialize more often, probably. But then..that's not really socializing. ;-) I'm much more passive, I guess, when it comes to this. I love and crave *company* and being with people and doing things with them, and existing, and sharing whatever might come up, but I don't necessarily need the talking. haha. Um. To further clarify...last year I went to Italy with two of my friends, and prior to the trip I was rather worried that I wouldn't get enough alone time, and I was worried that I'd get frazzled and wouldn't be able to travel with them for 10 days, and always be with them. But...in the end, none of it phased me one bit, because I knew them, we were already comfortable, I wasn't 'expected' to be 'On' and talk...and neither were they...just sharing the experiences and all of that, and us also going off on our own for an hour or so each day if we just wanted to wander alone...it worked wonderfully. So while we were together nearly the whole time...internally I was pretty solitary much of the time, just in my internal world. So externally, I didn't have much 'alone time' at all. But I found I didn't need it. I guess we just traveled well together. It was kinda like the dynamics with my family. I can be around them nonstop and I don't get 'tired' -- but then, all four of us are introverts so although we're together in the same space, we're also separate in our own minds.......

I don't know? I guess most people do overlook me or wouldn't bother to talk to me because I AM quiet. I'm not the life of the party. It's something I'm really self-conscious about - my quietness - but it's just how I am. It doesn't mean I'm boring or lack interest in someone or something (although perhaps I AM boring, for different reasons, haha) - it just means I'm primarily inside. I like being with people and sharing experiences....but I don't necessarily need or want to talk a lot. And in more casual social interactions, it's a source of uncomfortableness for me..just feeling that I *need* to talk more and should talk more because it's not like the other person wants to have just a one-sided conversation..but my maybe not having anything I really have to say. I don't know. I sometimes think there's a bit of a gender expectation in women, too...women are often portrayed as being the chatty ones, where the man doesn't do much talking, and it seems like it's more 'Ok' for the man to be the quiet brooding type. But I don't often feel that it's 'Ok' for me to be the quiet one. And on some dates, I feel like the guy has been a little unsure of what to do with someone who isn't doing all of the talking. I dunno...maybe that's something I'm putting on myself and I don't need to.

How's that for longest response ever? ;)

lastrailway

I am a strong introvert and I think I have arranged, more or less consciously, my life in order to be able to have as much free and alone time as possible.
I can take really very small amounts of external stimulation, sometimes all kind of activities, even the most 'lonely' ones (like reading or surfing the net), can be like a background noise that holds me from my thoughts. Whenever something is registered as interesting, I feel the need to isolate myself in order to contemplate on it. That can be, being with some interesting company and having some interesting discussion and feel the need to walk away, close a book right after reading an interesting passage, etc. It doesn't have to be people, really, I need a lot of time without any stimuli at all.
I have developed various ways to successfully avoid having to spend too much time with others, and that's often interpreted as my being depressed or sad, or lonely, or dislike people, or even being rude.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
For me it's like claustrophobia. Being around people is like being stuck inside a cramped, hot, stuffy space with no room to move. When I get to be alone again it's like being able to stretch out and it's cool and refreshing.
That's a very good comparison. I feel the same way when I've been forced to extrovert too long. I do, however, enjoy the company of a good friend.
What comes along with being an I that most people don't realize? Sometimes we just literally cannot think of something to say. No matter how hard we try our mind just refuses to work. Don't think we are just trying to be rude or awkward, we may actually be dieing to talk to someone.
Hmm... interesting. I don't think I've ever experienced this. I can manage small talk if I have the energy to put into it, and I'm almost always thinking of things I find interesting and would like to share with anyone who would appreciate them. Unfortunately, I recognize that most of those thoughts would be considered strange and inappropriate for social settings.

I don't mind praying out loud, either. I tend to feel like it's an honor and priviledge.

What stimulates you? In a good way? Ideas; new delicious thoughts; beauty; feeling connected to a person or place; losing myself in a creative project; insights and revelations; those thoughts that spring from a place that doesn't have words; mystery; playing with my dogs; sharing laughter with someone I love; a certain type of atmosphere created by lighting, music, and a particular type of company.

How much external stimulation can you tolerate? Some, but not too much. If I can withdraw and regulate it, so to speak, I can handle it all right. Even noisy, crowded places can be interesting if I don't have to engage continuously--if I can be allowed to sit and watch and think my own thoughts. In general, I tend to avoid places with unnecessary noise or bright flourescent lights. I don't like multitasking and it irritates me no end when people leave the TV on while they're talking to others, expecting people will just ignore it.

What is your internal world like? It's sensitive to beauty and full of wonder. Always active and alive, making connections, searching for truth, replaying events to evaluate and analyze. Sometimes I feel so full of joy that I think I'll explode; other times it seems I'll be crushed by the weight of a sadness or fear. All alone, my world takes on the patina of an ancient tale with faint mystery, or a delightful fancy, or a stirring romance, or a majestic exploration and adventure. I shift perspectives and enjoy the novelty of seeing things in different lights.

How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it? I live alone. When I worked alone in a basement office, I talked to friends or family on the phone once day and met with close friends a couple times a week. Now that I'm teaching, cooped up with 30 teenagers for 6 hours a day, I almost never visit friends. My energy is fully drained every day and I can't function if I can't recharge. I thought it would get better once I got used to it, but it's gotten more and more difficult to force myself to get up and go to work every day.

If the nonalone time is peaceful and pleasant, just in the company of close (and also introverted) friend who doesn't make requirements of me, then I don't need an over-abundance of alone time: probably an hour or so a day would suffice.

~ I live inside my own mind because it's much more fascinating than the external world. There's nothing sad or lonely or second-rate about it.
~ If I'm not interacting with you, there's a chance it's because I've evaluated your thoughts and decided that my own are more interesting. Or it might be that I can't talk becuase I'm very busy listening and noticing what's going on around me. Or sometimes I'm just enjoying the peace and quiet.
~ Probably most people on this forum realize it, but often people in real life don't realize it: being an introvert does not mean I dislike people.

Reactions: FFF

heart

heart on fire
What stimulates you?

Ideas, reading, writing, listening to music. Studying people's motivations, emotions, hypocrisies, contradictions. Looking for patterns in behavior, duality in things.

Not a lot. I cannot stand things like a TV running in the background or other "background" noise.

volcano.jpg

Need daily large blocks of time spent alone.

How hard it can be to extrovert out what I truly am inside. People think I am lights on nobody home. I also agree with Meta, people often don't realize how hard it can be at times to think of something to say even when I want to connect very badly, at times I just cannot make a connection. Very painful at times.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
~ I live inside my own mind because it's much more fascinating than the external world. There's nothing sad or lonely or second-rate about it.
~ If I'm not interacting with you, there's a chance it's because I've evaluated your thoughts and decided that my own are more interesting.

I like these answers.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Yes, I simply refused to do this. If God had a problem he could take it up with me at some point.

I remember the one time I got called on to read something for my Spanish class. At the end of the class, when everyone was leaving the teacher walked up to me and says, "Don't worry. I won't ever ask you to read anything again." lol
Really? I enjoy reading stuff to the class and answering questions the teacher gives. I don't think this has anything to do with introversion, personally. I consider myself as introverted as they come, but I'm certainly not shy.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
What stimulates you?
Thinking/living/feeling in my head, even if I'm speaking to others. Using my... mind, rather than focusing on outside things in general is good. Even if I'm in conversation with someone and I am being very attentive, in my head I am still in deep contemplation. But even then social situations eventually wear me down :laugh: Any work where my brain takes full control and the external world ceases to be is good, i.e. playing guitar, reading, writing, thinking, watching a movie, drawing, painting, ect.

Only so much, and it depends on context to. For example, I was watching a movie with a freind (who I think is an ESFP with a super batshit insane extraversion preferance) and he constantly looked over at me and said soemthing and NEEDED my reaction. I was stuck in my mind watching the friggin movie and he was being a real asshole! He got pissed at me for being "antisocial" that night and I got pissed at him for not shutting up! :laugh: I can't stand crowded areas at all, its too claustrophobic, it feels aweful :cry:

Nice paint, big windows, beautiful sunset, but not enough seating :doh: No, uh... yep, its insane, but in a beautifully sane way, know what I mean. To outside people my thoughts may seem irrelevant and nonsensical, but there is really a crazy well of thought and possibility and all that good stuff. Its like Don Quixote, sometimes I look insane, sometimes I may more sense than anyone you'll ever meet, but I never cease to baffle you with my next move. I've had people describe me much like that, actually :huh: I really think Don Quixote describes the INFP mind quite well, actually, but not introversion (which is the focus of this thread!). My internal world is full of the classic INFP (enneagram 4, by the way) stuff like imagination, possibilities, emotions, thoughts, random stuff that makes me laugh and everyone goes "whats he laughing about", ect.

I need a lot of time alone. After a day at school I need to be alone. If I'm not, I'll kill you. After any gathering I need to stay awake and be alone for at least an hour or two before I can sleep soundly. I can't give you a specific number of hours or some kind of schedule (me scheduling, thats a good one :rofl1:), but I will say that I need a lot of it and frequently.

What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize? Well first, do most people even realize the introvert/extravert dynamic at all?

But whatever.

They don't realize that it means you never really feel lonely (unless, ironically, you are surrounded by people), or that its awesome, or that it doesn't mean you arn't social and don't talk. I guess a lot of people assume introverted means shy and untalkative, but it really isn't, its just the energy of your mind being focused inside your head. Being shy is being afraid to speak. I guess the condition of introversion will consequently result in less talking, but I'd say its more like there is talking, it just needs to be balanced out with alone time. Being introverted doesn't have to mean being a loner who never talks, and its silly that people think that, really.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What stimulates you? Movies, video games, books, anything related to the illusion business. I also obsessively research topics of my interest. Wikipedia is a haven for me, even though I bash others for using it so I can have something to bitch about.

How much external stimulation can you tolerate? Well, I watch movies quite often. I look at a computer screen quite often. I'd say external stimulation isn't too bad. However, I am highly focused on one thing at a time. However, I will fit in some multitasking here and there.

What is your internal world like? Things most people want to hear about, so that's why I'm going to talk about it. My imaginary world is stimulated by classical music. I can listen to a classical piece and imagine everything from a story about robotized world-dominating abortions to placing the piece as the background music for end credits. Due to recent trends of movies' end credits being more graphic, I often dream up my own design for end credits that would appropriately fit whatever movie I've made up in my mind.

How much alone time do you need and how often do you need it? Constant. I cannot stand the obnoxiousness and shallowness of other people. If I find someone else who is profound or smarter than me, I become jealous, especially when they have a better life than I do.

What comes along with being an introvert that most people don't realize? That introversion is a perfectly healthy way of life.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I also obsessively research topics of my interest.

My INTJ brother does that a lot better than I do. I learn and research things in a random unstructured way. When I don't feel like looking things up, sometimes I can get my ENTP friend interested in what I want to know. Within a minute, he'll be sending me links. Sometimes this happens automatically and unintentionally. Sometimes it's manipulation on my part.

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think it's a simple need for me to go at things alone. I simply cannot stand most people. That and it's oh so much easier to think when you don't have a headache caused by irritating small talk.