I am but a dream--
    Your dream,
    A creature of your imagination...

We're all Faery Tales; after a fashion,
    Our stories unfolding around us...
    and through us...

In a moment you will have realized this,
    then you will banish me from your visions
    and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn Silverfrond View Post
    Nice find ^_^
    I'd love to contribute to this fascinating thread. But I'll refrain for fear that it goes anywhere even a little personal and I drive everyone away because how dare I talk about my own experiences. I should know better dammit!
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."

MBTI
    INTX
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Oh yeah, my parents have definitely influenced my patterns of behavior. Lucky for me though, that I caught it early. The problem was, I completely lacked alternative methods of engagement. So I made my own through trial and error, and observation.
    1w9 5w4 4w5
    Omni-variant

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    639 so/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In my experience (but I'd like to look into it, if there are any sources supporting this), it either goes that you second the patterns your parents taught you, or you go the exact opposite way.
    Examples: ENTP 784 sx/so raised by overly strict parents, forced to study the holy scriptures since he was a child, was beaten up by his father, couldn't go anywhere without his parents' consent. As an adult, he has a reckless relationship with drugs, casual and unprotected sex, and often gets in trouble just for the sake of it, strongly atheist (although this one could be a positive thing).
    On the other hand:
    INFP, came from a disfunctional and abusive family. Since she was a child, she's learned to understand her feelings and elaborate them in order not to go crazy. Now she's studying to become a therapist.
    I don't think that it's so personal
    Anymore
    I don't think that it's irreversible
    Anymore
    Sometimes I feel like I'm a sentimental trooper.

6w5 - 3w4 - 9w8 so/sp
    RLUEI
    Chaotic neutral.
    LII-Ne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6

Quote Originally Posted by Methylene View Post
    In my experience (but I'd like to look into it, if there are any sources supporting this), it either goes that you second the patterns your parents taught you, or you go the exact opposite way.
    Examples: ENTP 784 sx/so raised by overly strict parents, forced to study the holy scriptures since he was a child, was beaten up by his father, couldn't go anywhere without his parents' consent. As an adult, he has a reckless relationship with drugs, casual and unprotected sex, and often gets in trouble just for the sake of it, strongly atheist (although this one could be a positive thing).
    On the other hand:
    INFP, came from a disfunctional and abusive family. Since she was a child, she's learned to understand her feelings and elaborate them in order not to go crazy. Now she's studying to become a therapist.
    i do think as well that childhood patterns/ associations more often then naught cause individuals to decide between sticking to the methods of their parents (to an extreme degree) or veering off to the extreme opposite.

i think the most productive thing one can do is learn how to function outside of these childhood influences but it can be difficult because we hear our parents voices first in our heads and if they are very loud it is hard to hear our own over theirs and even if you are able to hear your own not to have feelings of guilt / anguish / shame over thinking differently then originally taught..
    blow a kiss to the universe and it is certain to wink at you in return.