• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you become bored easily??

How easily bored are you?

• I'm an Fi and am easily bored.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I'm an Fi and am rarely bored.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • I'm a Ti and am easily bored.

• I'm a Ti and am rarely bored.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I'm an Ni and am easily bored.

• I'm an Ni and am rarely bored.

• I'm an Si and am easily bored.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an Si and am rarely bored.

• I'm an Fe and am easily bored.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I'm an Fe and am rarely bored.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I'm a Te and am easily bored.

• I'm a Te and am rarely bored.

• I'm an Ne and am easily bored.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I'm an Ne and am rarely bored.

• I'm an Se and am easily bored.

• I'm an Se and am rarely bored.

• Total voters
H

Hate

I am exactly like this! I do that too! I have to go outside several times a day and walk, but I can do it alone and don't have to have a particular goal, it's just walking to burn off restlessness, and so that I am not always sitting or inside a building.

:cheers: Yup. With no goal in mind. That's exactly how it is and why I do it.

Hey we're both in L.A... We should be walking buddies. :)

I think boredom and restlessness are two different things, like IndyAnnaJoan touched on...restlessness almost seems more physical, like you aren't getting enough exercise or sunlight or interaction with other people? I also think I get restless when I'm sleep deprived...I experience it as being "boredom" but it's my brain's way of saying "let's go to sleep now." Either that or being so tired that you're wired, that kind of thing.

I get cabin fever when it rains heavily every day or if I try to stay inside for more than half a day, and/or if I don't have any real-time interaction with other people.

Yeah, I think I tend to mix the two up sometimes. I guess it's because when I get that restless feeling I can't tell what it is sometimes so I think to myself, "Am I bored or something?" Why do I feel like this?" I feel better now though remembering that there's a distinction. I just don't like when my mind and body aren't in sync like that.

wolfy

awsm
It's difficult to say whether I am easily bored or not. I don't feel bored much, but then I am able to entertain myself even in silence just thinking. But boredom is seeing your environment as not stimulating so a tendency to do that is a tendency to be bored easy. The only times I feel bored is when I need something physical, some kind of stimulation. That is why I associate restlessness with boredom, that is the only time I can't alleviate it mentally.

H

Hate

The only times I feel bored is when I need something physical, some kind of stimulation. That is why I associate restlessness with boredom, that is the only time I can't alleviate it mentally.

Hey that's a good point. I think that's why I've been equating the two to be the same. The only time I really have that bored feeling is like you said, when I need that physical stimulation. I hate when I can't alleviate it mentally.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I become distracted easily is that different to becoming bored easily?

Sunny Ghost

I become distracted easily is that different to becoming bored easily?

haha. hmm... i dunno.

It's difficult to say whether I am easily bored or not. I don't feel bored much, but then I am able to entertain myself even in silence just thinking. But boredom is seeing your environment as not stimulating so a tendency to do that is a tendency to be bored easy. The only times I feel bored is when I need something physical, some kind of stimulation. That is why I associate restlessness with boredom, that is the only time I can't alleviate it mentally.
good point. i suppose i can understand it from that perspective.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I'm usually not bored. There is always something to think about, research etc. Although I've noticed people used the term "bored" differently. When I'm "bored" it usually means I'm going through an apathetic cynical phase. My brother is "bored" when he doesn't think there is anything that he can get done...ie he's done everything for the day.

Sunny Ghost

I'm usually not bored. There is always something to think about, research etc. Although I've noticed people used the term "bored" differently. When I'm "bored" it usually means I'm going through an apathetic cynical phase. My brother is "bored" when he doesn't think there is anything that he can get done...ie he's done everything for the day.

i think i just have an aversion towards the word "bored." i think it roots from a few various friends of mine that were always chronically bored. it always irritated me, and so i just sort of hate when people toss that word around as well.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
what's your definition of boredom then?

I don't know, some sort of empty feel or when you don't know what you want to do next. Also some feel of annoyedness often when you are forced to do something which you don't want to do because it is boring to you. The latter shows badly on me too, but the first one is more internal and doesn't show that much external, so I thought I deal differently with it than some others maybe.

For example at school times. Some school mate asked me how I can sit always so calm in lessons and not be bored from it and still listen to the teacher. The truth is I was bored very often, just it doesn't show on me that easily; I wasn't really listening to the teacher, but really was always thinking about other things while looking as if I was listening.

KDude

I get bored and restless around people more often. I have a lot of things to occupy myself while alone. Just depends. When I was younger, I was the same way, but I didn't exactly take the stereotypical INFP route and get lost in imagination.. I think it took a bad turn for awhile and I gravitated towards whatever fantasy existed out in the world. Sometimes I'd do something illegal or risky or ditched some good (but boring) people for crazier ones. I want life to be.. epic or something. I feel gypped sometimes, but I don't know what to do about it.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had a conversation about this only recently in which I realized that I hadn´t been bored in many years, probably since my childhood. I get very easily overstimulated and need heeps of me-time to recover. How can you be bored when there is as much as a phone book to read or a landscape to look at, etc? And since my default modus is being somewhat disconnected from my physical environment, I really don´t remember the last time I thought "man, there is nothing to do or keep me busy!". My thoughts just drift off as soon as the situation allows for it and I start daydreaming.
My Mum used to complain that I was so lost in my thoughts as a little girl that between putting on the right shoe and the left shoe I had already forgotten what I was doing and sometimes took off the first shoe after putting on the second one because I had forgotten if I was coming or going.

Sunny Ghost

I had a conversation about this only recently in which I realized that I hadn´t been bored in many years, probably since my childhood. I get very easily overstimulated and need heeps of me-time to recover. How can you be bored when there is as much as a phone book to read or a landscape to look at, etc? And since my default modus is being somewhat disconnected from my physical environment, I really don´t remember the last time I thought "man, there is nothing to do or keep me busy!". My thoughts just drift off as soon as the situation allows for it and I start daydreaming.
My Mum used to complain that I was so lost in my thoughts as a little girl that between putting on the right shoe and the left shoe I had already forgotten what I was doing and sometimes took off the first shoe after putting on the second one because I had forgotten if I was coming or going.

lol. the shoe thing is pretty damn cute.

Sunny Ghost

I get bored and restless around people more often. I have a lot of things to occupy myself while alone. Just depends. When I was younger, I was the same way, but I didn't exactly take the stereotypical INFP route and get lost in imagination.. I think it took a bad turn for awhile and I gravitated towards whatever fantasy existed out in the world. Sometimes I'd do something illegal or risky or ditched some good (but boring) people for crazier ones. I want life to be.. epic or something. I feel gypped sometimes, but I don't know what to do about it.
haha. yeah, i've always said that i'm more likely to be bored when surrounded by people than when i'm on my own.

i think as a child, i was very lost in my thoughts and imagination... it's why i always thought i could potentially be an INFP, but ISFP was always much more fitting. i think i was just stuck in Fi/Ni loops as a child!

but i know that feeling of wanting more out of life. something epic. it's why i'm so in love with fantasy and sci fi. though it always makes me a little disappointed when back in reality. however, my imagination can be quite good at making daily life more of an adventure. but i'll often discount myself into having the "life's a playground" mindset... i'm just playing. i think this is another one of those reasons i was so in love with my INFP ex. his ability to make connections and create meanings out of the mundane really played out well with my need for adventure even in the mundane.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have a child who says he is bored if there is even a 5 minute lull between activities.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Honestly, I only find myself bored once a year or so. It is a crippling sort of boredom, where I think "Maybe a movie? A book? Drawing? Writing? Sleeping? .. This...? .. That...? Perhaps one of those other things?" yet nothing will suffice. It's a time where I might as well stare at the ceiling, because I will exhaust every other option and beating myself into a motionless submission is all that is left that doesn't feel too off.
Otherwise, I absolutely cannot stand people who claim they are bored and demand entertainment. I really can't fathom it more than 'every now and then'. There are so many ways to occupy one's self, even in doing absolutely nothing. I've heard another ENFJ exclaim they are bored, but it was more so just a cry for being social. Otherwise, a lot of introverts I've known have declared boredom, but none of the NFPs.

"If you're bored, then you're boring" - Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I'm alone and free to do as I please I'm almost never bored. Quite the opposite in fact- I'm often overwhelmed by all the options of what I could do and knowing that I won't be able to do them all. It's a different story when I'm in situations that are not of my choosing and when I have to endure them without the opportunity for much stimulation. Examples would be sitting in a waiting room without good reading material, when I'm dragged to church with family, or in a boring meeting. Those situations I find extremely boring.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't get bored that often, I like time to spend inside my head, but I know people who fear it.

gromit

likes this
My mom would always say "only boring people are bored," which in retrospect was probably her way of telling us to get out of her hair, she had her own stuff to do. If there's nothing interesting to do, find something to do, go play outside, make something, or read a book. I think I internalized that a little bit.

Or she would give us chores to do if we whined about being bored.

redacted

I've had problems with boredom for my whole life.

But I think I realized recently that it was just anxiety.

Sunny Ghost

My mom would always say "only boring people are bored," which in retrospect was probably her way of telling us to get out of her hair, she had her own stuff to do. If there's nothing interesting to do, find something to do, go play outside, make something, or read a book. I think I internalized that a little bit.

Or she would give us chores to do if we whined about being bored.
:laugh:
well, that's always basically been my saying as well when friends whined to me.

however, recently as i've become somewhat depressed and lethargic, i've found myself feeling bored. just sort of unstimulated by things that normally stimulate me, and unwilling to do any sort of hobby or exercise or anything.