• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Teams

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Was talking to a co-worker today and the topic of "Teams" came up. It has come up in the past, but only so far as to mention "we never discuss which Team we are on". Its the basic "Guys Team" vs "Girls Team". Just something to think about? Especially about how good does your team treat you. I was also told to never discuss which team I am on, its extremely obvious which team I am on to those who know me even just a little. I have learned one thing, its not worth fighting those on another team. Live and let live, hopefully there team treats them good.

The most important thing about a team is that they are the people you can fall back on when you need to. Games are fun, but I have realized that to really find someone you need to be looking at the right team. And sometimes it takes a while to be accepted by the team and you have to be accepting of your team.

And just to have fun with this - "Go Brotherly Love" ROFLMAO

And on a side note, teams are generally formed by walls against the opposite sex. And things get complicated because we also have "personal" teams aside from "Guys" vs "Girls". We must take sides. Its like the "Team" reality shows, but in real life. I hate "playing" teams, because then you end up standing alone with the sole goal of winning. I prefer to play to have fun. Its called friendly team competition, and who knows you may end up meating someone on a different team you like and at the end of the day either your team bends or you realize that the team is structured around a "goal" and not the team itself. Hopefully your goals align with the teams and changes with the teams or be prepared to be left high and dry. Thats why I dont like to choose teams that are focused highly on a goal. I am not a groupie, I stand alone, I chart my own course, and will help my "Team members" chart there own course above all else.

jbking

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
There are lots of different uses of the term team to my mind. There was a "Seinfeld" episode where teams were based on sexual orientation. Similarly, there can be teams made up of those with similar jobs,e.g. developers, sysadmins, and testers all being different teams, based on geography like various sports teams fan bases usually, nations of origin, languages spoken, religion, age bracket or any number of other things.

Maybe I just grew up in an odd place but I tend to mix with both genders pretty well. Most of my groups aside from my men's group obviously tend to be pretty balanced in terms of gender. I will admit to being enough of an introvert that may I just plug where I want so depending on what suits me I do what I want mostly, but I'm not sure what kinds of replies you were wanting from that post.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
as far as gender goes, I fit in with either team :unsure:

as far as professionally, somehow the man and I almost exclusively hang out with people who work in sales... there's a good chance that it's because all of our friends are from work and past jobs :doh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are lots of different uses of the term team to my mind. There was a "Seinfeld" episode where teams were based on sexual orientation. Similarly, there can be teams made up of those with similar jobs,e.g. developers, sysadmins, and testers all being different teams, based on geography like various sports teams fan bases usually, nations of origin, languages spoken, religion, age bracket or any number of other things.

Maybe I just grew up in an odd place but I tend to mix with both genders pretty well. Most of my groups aside from my men's group obviously tend to be pretty balanced in terms of gender. I will admit to being enough of an introvert that may I just plug where I want so depending on what suits me I do what I want mostly, but I'm not sure what kinds of replies you were wanting from that post.

Just peoples opinions of teams. Its basically what side of things do you naturally take. Like take a job, you can be on the side of the people or the side of the business. While you can support both, where is your natural pull. To the people within the business who run it or the business itself. Yes you can argue that if you focus on one or the other then things will fall apart, but there is always a preference as to who you support.

This isnt really about fitting in or getting along. Its something that is picked up on though by talking about people either behind their back or in front of them. Like when it comes to marriage you generally have a "Husbands Team" and a "Wifes Team". Both husband and wife get along, but both have a team in the corner. And I am not saying that marriage is a fight or that its like a boxing ring. In marriage its usually certain friends that are your team. This applies heavily throughout life. Who do you trust, who do you support. Who do you back up, etc. Its more of an internal thing...maybe its to personal. For me its not.

jbking

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I'm on the side of technology usually, which can be outside of people and process. I work as a Web Developer, so generally my work involves either fixing systems or building systems, so I'm more of a systems guy rather than people or business in a way. I'm also the type of person to find that oddball answer to most questions so that would be another reason for my giving an odd response here.

Putting people together, whether you want to call it tribes, sets, collections, groups, departments, compartments, or some other term, is just part of organizing things though one should be aware that the structure can be dynamic and things can change over time.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm on the side of technology usually, which can be outside of people and process. I work as a Web Developer, so generally my work involves either fixing systems or building systems, so I'm more of a systems guy rather than people or business in a way. I'm also the type of person to find that oddball answer to most questions so that would be another reason for my giving an odd response here.

Putting people together, whether you want to call it tribes, sets, collections, groups, departments, compartments, or some other term, is just part of organizing things though one should be aware that the structure can be dynamic and things can change over time.

I am a web developer as well and I dont like politics at all. You lost me on that second part. Its way to vague to really mean anything to me.

jbking

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
The second part had 2 ideas within it. First, there are many different terms that one can use for combining people together some of which may have different ideas come to mind at first. Team can kind of imply everyone should fit together to form a whole but others may be more generic in a sense. The other idea was about how teams are rarely static. One way to imagine this is that today's alliance of people may be at war tomorrow.