• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How intelligent do you think you are?

How intelligent do you think you are?

• NF - above average intelligence

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • NF - average intelligence

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • NF - below average intelligence

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • SJ - above average intelligence

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • SJ - average intelligence

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • SJ - below average intelligence

• SP - above average intelligence

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • SP - average intelligence

• SP - below average intelligence

• NT - above average intelligence

Votes: 39 35.8%
  • NT - average intelligence

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • NT - below average intelligence

• Total voters

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ya, we'll have to raise the measuring limit for average, only problem then will be alot of people who are flieing in the clouds now will then have their feet on the ground; that could be worse for us if they are confronted with so much reality at once :D

Sunny Ghost

i think it's hard to rate intelligence as there are many different types of intelligence.

you have people that a book smarts, excel in school, and yet air headed and dim witted.
(one of my short lived ex's was great in science, but a complete dunce otherwise. i always considered him a lost and unaware soul.)

you have people whom are well aware of their selves, of others, and of where they fit into the world... (a wise soul, basically) but may lack factual knowledge.

The Nine Types of Intelligence

By Howard Gardner

1. Naturalist Intelligence (“Nature Smart”)

Designates the human ability to discriminate among living things (plants, animals) as well as sensitivity to other features of the natural world (clouds, rock configurations). This ability was clearly of value in our evolutionary past as hunters, gatherers, and farmers; it continues to be central in such roles as botanist or chef. It is also speculated that much of our consumer society exploits the naturalist intelligences, which can be mobilized in the discrimination among cars, sneakers, kinds of makeup, and the like.

2. Musical Intelligence (“Musical Smart”)

Musical intelligence is the capacity to discern pitch, rhythm, timbre, and tone. This intelligence enables us to recognize, create, reproduce, and reflect on music, as demonstrated by composers, conductors, musicians, vocalist, and sensitive listeners. Interestingly, there is often an affective connection between music and the emotions; and mathematical and musical intelligences may share common thinking processes. Young adults with this kind of intelligence are usually singing or drumming to themselves. They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss.

3. Logical-Mathematical Intelligence (Number/Reasoning Smart)

Logical-mathematical intelligence is the ability to calculate, quantify, consider propositions and hypotheses, and carry out complete mathematical operations. It enables us to perceive relationships and connections and to use abstract, symbolic thought; sequential reasoning skills; and inductive and deductive thinking patterns. Logical intelligence is usually well developed in mathematicians, scientists, and detectives. Young adults with lots of logical intelligence are interested in patterns, categories, and relationships. They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.

4. Existential Intelligence

Sensitivity and capacity to tackle deep questions about human existence, such as the meaning of life, why do we die, and how did we get here.

5. Interpersonal Intelligence (People Smart”)

Interpersonal intelligence is the ability to understand and interact effectively with others. It involves effective verbal and nonverbal communication, the ability to note distinctions among others, sensitivity to the moods and temperaments of others, and the ability to entertain multiple perspectives. Teachers, social workers, actors, and politicians all exhibit interpersonal intelligence. Young adults with this kind of intelligence are leaders among their peers, are good at communicating, and seem to understand others’ feelings and motives.

6. Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence (“Body Smart”)

Bodily kinesthetic intelligence is the capacity to manipulate objects and use a variety of physical skills. This intelligence also involves a sense of timing and the perfection of skills through mind–body union. Athletes, dancers, surgeons, and craftspeople exhibit well-developed bodily kinesthetic intelligence.

7. Linguistic Intelligence (Word Smart)

Linguistic intelligence is the ability to think in words and to use language to express and appreciate complex meanings. Linguistic intelligence allows us to understand the order and meaning of words and to apply meta-linguistic skills to reflect on our use of language. Linguistic intelligence is the most widely shared human competence and is evident in poets, novelists, journalists, and effective public speakers. Young adults with this kind of intelligence enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.

8. Intra-personal Intelligence (Self Smart”)

Intra-personal intelligence is the capacity to understand oneself and one’s thoughts and feelings, and to use such knowledge in planning and directioning one’s life. Intra-personal intelligence involves not only an appreciation of the self, but also of the human condition. It is evident in psychologist, spiritual leaders, and philosophers. These young adults may be shy. They are very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated.

9. Spatial Intelligence (“Picture Smart”)

Spatial intelligence is the ability to think in three dimensions. Core capacities include mental imagery, spatial reasoning, image manipulation, graphic and artistic skills, and an active imagination. Sailors, pilots, sculptors, painters, and architects all exhibit spatial intelligence. Young adults with this kind of intelligence may be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing or daydreaming.

me, personally, on an online IQ... i got above average. 122. in comparison to other college students i rank about average. i'm horrible with recalling facts in the long term and suck at things like trivia (which my best friend is quite fond of) however, most would consider me an intelligent person. i'm insightful, aware of myself, aware of others, aware of the world... i typically do well on spatial reasoning test. when information is given to me, i'm able to apply it. though i am a feeler, i'm capable of reasoning and using logic. when i really apply myself, i can write great essays and really break down a poem or a book. if you ask me about physics or math questions, or a detailed account of something that happened in history, i'll break down right in front of you and feel like a total dunce.

rav3n

If intelligence is defined as tested IQ, I'm above average. If EQ is considered a larger component of intelligence, I suck.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
If intelligence is defined as tested IQ, I'm above average. If EQ is considered a larger component of intelligence, I suck.

Yeah, same here. To be precise, if I may use the system of Howard Gardner(posted by IndyAnnaJoan), I suck at 1,2,5,7 and 8, while I'm quite good at the rest.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
According to the Cattell scale, I'm above average IQ--wise, but in my field of research I'm definitely of average intelligence globally at best :D

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
These threads always seem to generate a lot of false modesty in the hope that it will somehow inspire an inverse relationship to whatever trait-of-the-moment we're self-diagnosing. Fact is, talk is cheap. Anyone can be anything they want to be online. There are no controls, save what the individual offers as fact.

Intelligence, as a term, is too vague a concept to comment on. Still, it's likely I am very intelligent. Smarter than most; less intelligent than some.

That's good enough for me.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
lol I'm not sure how much this poll could tell you. I think it's obvious that the people here in typeC do in fact have above average intelligence, so is it a sign of confidence/grandeur or simply an accurate portrayal of the average intelligence when people here think they're smart? I always test 120 or higher in IQ tests, so I guess I'm above average. For what its worth, there was a national IQ test thing that took here in NZ during my teens. That wasn't all that good for me, but I insist that was because it involved a lot of local kiwi knowledge and slang. I've only been in NZ for maybe 2 years at that point, so I felt ripped off. I also had one of those IQ tests which split you up into different cognitive capacities and measure you in a piecemeal fashion. My results were mostly average, but 2 stood out. There was a section on making connections, for example, the tester would ask me what are the similarities between a hat and a glove, with varying difficulties. I got every question correct on that section, I suspect now that it was because of me Ne. The memory section however... oof. Marginal.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Online IQ tests put me in Mensa status(IQ of 145-165), I dont know enough about everything though to think that I am highly intelligent. My Se pull is to strong and limits me with the amount of time I put into understanding, and figuring things out.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i've taken two legit iq tests, one when i was 4 and one when i was 13 or 14. i got 157 when i was four and i think 130 the second time. so if that trend has continued i'm probably average now. that kind of intelligence seems so useless outside of school though. it hasn't gotten me anywhere.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP

I think there are intelligences types which exclude one another. For instance, the logical-mathematical intelligence and the emotional IQ. I don't think many people have them both very developed. Just one of them. Of course... I could be wrong : ) But you don't see many math geeks with high EQs, it's very confusing, because being highly intelligent, would likely make you highly unintelligent in some fields, at least that's what I saw in very smart people.
I've also seen people who have a very high EQ, very social, and they deal very good with life's small challenges, they don't really have a high IQ, and I've seen people with high IQs who can't handle the shit of life, not fitting in etc. My conclusion is that a high IQ with a low EQ will fuck you up. Smart and misanthropic. Of course these are the extremes...who knows these things.....

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm intelligent. Used to try to hide it, but I'm pretty proud to have it.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Interesting that there were so many NF's and NT's who responded and not very many J's.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Huh? Why?

Growing up, it wasn't cool. I wasn't a total nerd- I kind rode that line between knowing people and having my face in the books. So I played down what my academic abilities so not to intimidate those around me....yeah it was stupid, but I have embraced my nerdly qualities. I've married it with my coolness- so now I'm some wierd amalgamation of a person LOL

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't think I'm overestimating my abilities to say I'm above average. I'm not arrogant or self-deluded, and if anything I probably have a tendency to underrate myself. Academically, I always was above average and I am generally skilled in non-academic intelligences.

I'm intelligent. Used to try to hide it, but I'm pretty proud to have it.
Yeah, there is an anti-intellectualism undercurrent to my national culture. I don't exactly pretend I'm stupid but I do dumb myself down a little sometimes, depending on whom I'm speaking to. But this is as much about consideration for others, as it is about social self-preservation.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think I'm overestimating my abilities to say I'm above average. I'm not arrogant or self-deluded, and if anything I probably have a tendency to underrate myself. Academically, I always was above average and I am generally skilled in non-academic intelligences.

Yeah, there is an anti-intellectualism undercurrent to my national culture. I don't exactly pretend I'm stupid but I do dumb myself down a little sometimes, depending on whom I'm speaking to. But this is as much about consideration for others, as it is about social self-preservation.

What bothers me is if the consideration is warranted, though.....I think I've trained myself to not even assess if I need to play down on my abilities- I just do it. I don't want to be the know it all, but sometimes too keep the ball rolling you have to step it up. It seems backwards.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Is anyone surprised by the amount of NTs who think they're above average in the intelligence department?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would say my mind has some kind of knowing.
I'm well read if that's what you mean?

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think there are intelligences types which exclude one another. For instance, the logical-mathematical intelligence and the emotional IQ. I don't think many people have them both very developed. Just one of them. Of course... I could be wrong : )

Ooooh - and so you might be. :) I rate the highest in spatial, logical/mathematical AND EQ. I suspect tho, if we are generalising, EQ is something that grows as we age and take note of business and social action and consequence. Most NTs I know developed their EQ a lot later than most. It goes with the theory that your type doesn't change as you age but it becomes less strong on each dichotomy OR, if you prefer, the degree of preference moderates itself with life experience.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Growing up, it wasn't cool. I wasn't a total nerd- I kind rode that line between knowing people and having my face in the books. So I played down what my academic abilities so not to intimidate those around me....yeah it was stupid, but I have embraced my nerdly qualities. I've married it with my coolness- so now I'm some wierd amalgamation of a person LOL

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Maybe I'm lucky to have grown up in Hong Kong. Intelligence is pretty much always a good thing.

On the different categories of intelligence, do you guys have a comprehensive list?