• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What would you do in these situations?

xisnotx

Permabanned
Situation 1
A friend of yours buys a new car. They say they bought it because:
It's a hybrid, low emissions vehicle OR
The price was a bargain and it gets good gas mileage OR
A friend of their's has one just like it and they wanted one too.
Are any of these answers more or less justifiable to you?

Well, as long as they think their reasons are justifiable then it's their money, it's their life, they can do what they want. Personally, I'd think the 2nd reason is the "best" reason but people are different.

Situation 2
You have a friend who smokes indoors with their young children (under 10) living in the house with them. They've smoked since you've known them and are aware about the dangers of smoking, but you feel now that they have kids they should really try to quit. You:
Say nothing. It's none of your business and they make their own choices.
Occasionally OR frequently mention to the friend that it's not healthy to smoke and try to find ways to help them quit.
Avoid coming to their house or being with them with their kids, so you don't have to see them smoking in front of their children.

Probably the third option. The thing is their choices are negatively affecting other people who have very little say in the matter. I'm not going to do the 2nd because that's to aggressive, so I'd probably just distance myself from the situation.
Situation 3
You enjoy burning scented candles and incense because you find them relaxing and soothing. One day, your roommate comes to you and says they're sensitive to fragrances and asks you not to burn them. You can tell your roommate is nervous and looks uncomfortable while asking you. They have not made any previous requests of you and your relationship is good. What do you do?
I'd stop burning the candles. We're both sharing the space so I wouldn't want to make him uncomfortable. I'd expect the same of him tbh. If I really can't live without the candles we could perhaps work something out where I'd burn them when he isn't around..

Situation 4
You're in college and find a scholarship that would greatly relieve your financial burden of paying for school. The only hitch is that you can be no more than a college freshman in order to be eligible. You are midway through the first semester of your sophomore year and know the current semester is not yet reflected on your transcript. The organization giving the scholarship will make a decision before your transcript is updated to reflect your sophomore status. This means only you know you don't technically qualify. Do you send in your application for the scholarship with a transcript reflecting you are still a college freshman? If you get the scholarship do you take the money?

I'd apply and I'd take the money with no regrets. I really couldn't care less if I screw the system over. It's a dog eat dog world out there. You either eat or get eaten.
Situation 5
You're at the grocery store and about to go to through check out. You realize you picked up more items than what you intended. Do you:
Take all the extra items back to their original spots.
Put them back on the shelves closest to you.

That depends on the situation. I could easily do both depending on other factors.
Situation 6
You use a public restroom and wash and dry your hands. You throw the paper towel to the trash can but miss. You're in the bathroom alone. Do you:
Pick it up and trash it
Leave w/o picking it up

Depends on the bathroom and my mood. If the bathroom is nice I'd want to leave it nice for others. I'd probably pick it up. If the bathroom is sucky, probably not. If I am angry, sad, tired, etc the chances of me picking it up drop. If I am happy, content, etc the chances increase.

crevalleJack

MBTI Type
HOLY
Situation 1
Sure keeping on paying for gas......
Situation 2
i dont smoke and like people smoking (in my face) but thats just my problem I guess.
Situation 3
Burn your friend and see if he or she smells any better.
Situation 4

Shrug..I dont know I never went to college.
Situation 5
Take them back to where I found them.
Situation 6
It depends I probably pick it up and try again or just trash it.

Now where are the bonus questions?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Situation 1
A friend of yours buys a new car...

I'd say, "Nice car", if it's a nice car. Option 2 is the most justifiable, option 3 is the the most honest, and I respect honesty. Option 1 is most likely justification or wayward good intentions, depending on the exact situation.

Situation 2
You have a friend who smokes indoors with their young children (under 10) living in the house with them....

I'd occaionally drop hints, and then sit down and have a talk if they didn't get the hints.

Situation 3
You enjoy burning scented candles and incense because you find them relaxing and soothing...

I'd would stop burning scented candles for the comfort of my roommate.

Situation 4
You're in college and find a scholarship that would greatly relieve your financial burden of paying for school...

Totally apply and take the money.

Situation 5
You're at the grocery store and about to go to through check out...

I'd give the extra items to the checker, they'll put it away later. This is part of their job.

Situation 6
You use a public restroom and wash and dry your hands...

I will pick up the paper towel, if not only just to create the originally desired outcome.

Within

Permabanned
I think "get to the choppa" is a valid answer to each and all of those different scenarios.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Situation 1
  1. It's a hybrid, low emissions vehicle OR
  2. The price was a bargain and it gets good gas mileage OR
  3. A friend of their's has one just like it and they wanted one too.

No, it's their car; I really don't care why they bought it. If I thought it was a lemon or something like that, I would tell them if I thought I could save them some money or grief, but it's still their car.

Situation 2
You have a friend who smokes indoors with their young children (under 10) living in the house with them. They've smoked since you've known them and are aware about the dangers of smoking, but you feel now that they have kids they should really try to quit. You:
  1. Say nothing. It's none of your business and they make their own choices.
  2. Occasionally OR frequently mention to the friend that it's not healthy to smoke and try to find ways to help them quit.
  3. Avoid coming to their house or being with them with their kids, so you don't have to see them smoking in front of their children.

I likely wouldn't be hanging out at their house in the first place as since my parents quit smoking, I've enjoyed not having to be around cigarette smoke and its lingering odors. If they had expressed to me that they would like to quit and wanted help, I'd try to help them. If for some reason, I thought they had lived under a rock and had NO idea that cigarette smoke was bad for their kids, I would probably mention it. But it is their business and not mine, so there's a chance I would say nothing.

Situation 3
You enjoy burning scented candles and incense because you find them relaxing and soothing. One day, your roommate comes to you and says they're sensitive to fragrances and asks you not to burn them. You can tell your roommate is nervous and looks uncomfortable while asking you. They have not made any previous requests of you and your relationship is good. What do you do?

I would stop burning them, and be understanding of my roommate.

Situation 4
You're in college and find a scholarship that would greatly relieve your financial burden of paying for school. The only hitch is that you can be no more than a college freshman in order to be eligible. You are midway through the first semester of your sophomore year and know the current semester is not yet reflected on your transcript. The organization giving the scholarship will make a decision before your transcript is updated to reflect your sophomore status. This means only you know you don't technically qualify. Do you send in your application for the scholarship with a transcript reflecting you are still a college freshman? If you get the scholarship do you take the money?

I wouldn't apply for it because I do not qualify.

Situation 5
You're at the grocery store and about to go to through check out. You realize you picked up more items than what you intended. Do you:
  1. Take all the extra items back to their original spots.
  2. Put them back on the shelves closest to you.

Most of the time, I would either tell the cashier I no longer wanted them or put them back in their proper places. If I felt like I had somehow been mistreated by the store, I might put it back closest to me.

Situation 6
You use a public restroom and wash and dry your hands. You throw the paper towel to the trash can but miss. You're in the bathroom alone. Do you:
  1. Pick it up and trash it
  2. Leave w/o picking it up

Leave it. Sorry, but being germ-free trumps picking it up. IF, for whatever reason it was an establishment that made me feel very valued and cared about, I would likely return that by picking it up, and WASHING MY HANDS AGAIN.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
(I wonder if this would be a good way of typing people?)

Situation 1
1) It's a hybrid, low emissions vehicle OR
2) The price was a bargain and it gets good gas mileage OR
3) A friend of their's has one just like it and they wanted one too.

Er, I don't really care, it's their car. The 3rd one is a little more impractical, getting a car just to match your friend, but still it doesn't matter much.

Situation 2
1) Say nothing. It's none of your business and they make their own choices.
2) Occasionally OR frequently mention to the friend that it's not healthy to smoke and try to find ways to help them quit.
3) Avoid coming to their house or being with them with their kids, so you don't have to see them smoking in front of their children.

Number 2. Smoking on their own is their choice, but we've talked about smoking before and it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask them. Though, I'd probably ask them to find a designated spot to smoke rather than quit all together.

Situation 3

Stop burning them, I probably wouldn't care enough about it to fight with them. If I was burning them for anxiety or something, I'd try to find a new way. Plus our relationship is good, and if my roommate was nervous I'd know they weren't being a jerk about it.

Situation 4

Eh, I'd probably look for another scholarship and avoid that hassle. There are plenty of them out there.

Situation 5
1) Take all the extra items back to their original spots.
2) Put them back on the shelves closest to you.

Take them back to their original spot...but what if I wanna keep them?? But yeah, one less thing off the grocery workers' hands.

Situation 6
1)Pick it up and trash it
2)Leave w/o picking it up

Pick it up. It's my germs, and I can just wash my hands again and not throw it this time. I don't really want to leave a mess for others to pick up.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Situation 1

It's their choice, so they don't need to justify it.

I am a naturally judgmental person, so I will definitely judge someone internally if they tell me they buy a car for that last reason, though.

Situation 2
  2. Occasionally OR frequently mention to the friend that it's not healthy to smoke and try to find ways to help them quit.
  3. Avoid coming to their house or being with them with their kids, so you don't have to see them smoking in front of their children.

The third option is really pathetic. It's none of my business so I shouldn't say anything, but I'd probably blurt out that they're being stupid/unhealthy and then ruin our friendship.

Situation 3

This is why I say fuck living with a roommate.

If they're super clean and accommodating, I'd try to be understanding and only burn that shit in my room.

If they have some habit I don't like, I'm not changing a single thing.

Situation 4

I don't want to take part in any of that, because it's a waste of time.

Besides, if I'm me, I can find a good scholarship without much effort elsewhere.

Situation 5

I'd just buy the additional items.

Situation 6

I'm a piece of shit, I never pick it up. I don't want to touch something that's touched the bathroom floor. (Yes, I get very triggered if I accidentally touch my shoes.)

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
It's their choice, so they don't need to justify it. I am a naturally judgmental person, so I will definitely judge someone internally if they tell me they buy a car for that last reason, though. The third option is really pathetic. It's none of my business so I shouldn't say anything, but I'd probably blurt out that they're being stupid/unhealthy and then ruin our friendship. This is why I say fuck living with a roommate. If they're super clean and accommodating, I'd try to be understanding and only burn that shit in my room. If they have some habit I don't like, I'm not changing a single thing. I don't want to take part in any of that, because it's a waste of time. Besides, if I'm me, I can find a good scholarship without much effort elsewhere. I'd just buy the additional items. I'm a piece of shit, I never pick it up. I don't want to touch something that's touched the bathroom floor. (Yes, I get very triggered if I accidentally touch my shoes.)
Agree with you on all of this .. except I alway. Pick up the tissue (with another tissue) but I feel crazy if I don't.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
1... Justification doesn't enter into it. Who cares?

2...I don't care. I don't enjoy being around my friends with kids.

3... No roommate. Flame on.

4...yes. I take the money.

5... I don't get more than I intend.

6... I don't miss.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Situation 1. A friend of yours buys a new car...
I wouldn't judge people about their car and wouldn't be inclined to do it. If they said they bought it because their friend had one, I'd probably think, 'hey they are self-aware and honest to admit this'. Most people copy others, but would never admit it.

Situation 2 You have a friend who smokes indoors with their young children (under 10) living in the house with them...
I might feel some concern, but would not likely say anything because I doubt I could tell them anything they don't know and people live they way they choose. It's not ideal, but it's not the worst thing that has happened. My second husband smoked and I never complained about it, but there were no children or babies.

Situation 3 You enjoy burning scented candles and incense because you find them relaxing and soothing...
I've changed waaaaaaay more than this for roommates. I'd stop, but it's also why I prefer not having a roommate. I'm too tired at the end of the day for all the business negotiation of wills. This case sounded rather gentle and simple, so I don't see it being a problem. Also I grew up as a younger sister sharing a room and we had great fun and no problems that I remember, but I was slightly more submissive, although she was not pushy at all, but very sweet.

Situation 4 You're in college and find a scholarship that would greatly relieve your financial burden of paying for school. The only hitch is that you can be no more than a college freshman in order to be eligible...
I wouldn't apply because I'd assume my junior year would be spent in a legal battle or they would take the money back. I can't deal with ongoing messes and think it's better to operate in a simple, straightforward manner.

Situation 5 You're at the grocery store and about to go to through check out. You realize you picked up more items than what you intended...
If it's frozen food, I'll tend to put it back, and if it was a ton of stuff perhaps. When there are a couple of items I change my mind about I leave it at the register and they call someone to put it back. It's part of their procedure and some stores hate it when people put stuff back because they do it wrong.

Situation 6 You use a public restroom and wash and dry your hands. You throw the paper towel to the trash can but miss...
I pick it up on it's untainted edge and throw it out for reals, but rewash my hands. I sometimes pick up others garbage in parks, less often in restrooms, but not consistently.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Situation 1
1 and 2 make much more sense than 3 as they get at the suitability of the car for the person's needs.

Situation 2
3, because I won't stay in places where people are smoking. It's bad for my health, too.

Situation 3
I would refrain from using scented products as long as I live with someone for whom they pose a problem. I would expect a roommate to do the same for me.

Situation 4
Yes and yes, if there is little to no risk of having the money taken away later if the organization finds out about the "error".

Situation 5
Put them on the closest shelves

Situation 6
Put it in the trash. If there is other trash on the floor, I will use my own towel to pick it up and put it in the trash, too.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
1. Following some else is the least viable reason to do something that's not outright insane. The least capable of us just copy opinions of someone whom they've befriended.
If the price is a bargain and it's a reasonable vehicle considering the cost of operation, that's a more reasonable cause for me.

2. I would not avoid their company. People have to meet despite altering views. I would rather sometimes (frequently OR rarely) mention the health aspects.

3. I would do this favor for them. I understand there is different biology to each of us and what seems ok for someone might hurt another. I would quit burning the scented candles, unless if the roommate had asked way too much of favors already, so then I would find another accommondation. But the first thing would be to take care of their wishes.

4. I would choose the financially viable option.

5. I would take them back where they belonged.

6. I might do either way. I usually pick up my trash. But sometimes I feel just too busy and I let it go.