• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

visibility v. invisibility

Sunny Ghost

Is it just a work thing for you? I have a habit of laying low at work and avoiding recognition. Which totally failed when my boss nominated me for an award....and I won.... When I was more outgoing I still hated recognition at work and being in the spotlight, but I didn't mind it among my friends and family.

i'm the opposite. when it comes to gatherings of friends and family, or being out in the world, or being in a classroom, i hate the spotlight. i always considered myself more of a wallflower.

at work, however, i want to be recognized by my superiors. i work hard and am on the look out for ways to move up. not because i want power or authority, but because i typically feel i can do a good job and have a lot to offer the companies i work for.

and i'm the same as redbone. if i'm talking to you one on one, i will be annoyed if you are out in space. however... i'm often quite guilty of doing the same myself. :huh:

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
i'm the opposite. when it comes to gatherings of friends and family, or being out in the world, or being in a classroom, i hate the spotlight. i always considered myself more of a wallflower.

at work, however, i want to be recognized by my superiors. i work hard and am on the look out for ways to move up. not because i want power or authority, but because i typically feel i can do a good job and have a lot to offer the companies i work for.

and i'm the same as redbone. if i'm talking to you one on one, i will be annoyed if you are out in space. however... i'm often quite guilty of doing the same myself. :huh:

Interesting! I do like being recognized by my superiors....but I don't want it to be in a group setting, I prefer a one on one setting. I was praised in a meeting once and it freaked me out and I clammed up the rest of the meeting. Those weren't my superiors though, just my coworkers that I had helped out. I guess I'm just more of a one on one kinda person. :blush:

I can't say I get really upset if someone is off in space when I'm talking to them.... And I think it's because I do it when I'm not interested in a subject... So when someone does it to me, I realize that I'm probably just boring them. :cry:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, I'm an ENTJ.. (most probably).. the "tricky bulldozer" type. I find it too easy to stay visible and to gain some kind of fame, I try to lessen my impact by laying low. I mean, I don't want to be too intense. People aren't usually very intense. I enjoy being cool and laying low, sow that's what I do for the most part. Often I just play uncool to get even less attention.

Sunny Ghost

Interesting! I do like being recognized by my superiors....but I don't want it to be in a group setting, I prefer a one on one setting. I was praised in a meeting once and it freaked me out and I clammed up the rest of the meeting. Those weren't my superiors though, just my coworkers that I had helped out. I guess I'm just more of a one on one kinda person. :blush:

I can't say I get really upset if someone is off in space when I'm talking to them.... And I think it's because I do it when I'm not interested in a subject... So when someone does it to me, I realize that I'm probably just boring them. :cry:

oh, def the same. if i'm getting recognition in a group setting like that, i'd have the same reaction. i'm def a one on one type as well. three's okay once in a while. once you get to four... i'm out.

i don't get really angry. just slightly annoyed... especially if what i have to say to the person is fairly relevant and needs to be heard by the person. i had another ISFP friend whom would seem as though he didn't realize i was talking at times. ::shakes head:: however, i know i do the same. my ex would always get angry at me for the same reason.

Sunny Ghost

quite sure that I'm a Sensor, though a borderline one... I'm an ESTP by function, not by stereotype :laugh: It's my awareness of the present and what needs to be fixed that drives me to fix things and situations instead of awareness of the future or anything of the sort by any means... if I looked to the future I'd probably be doing things differently- or even if I cared to big picture the situation- I really want to fix what's wrong NOW!

and when not at work I'm usually rather laid back... I talk plenty, I just don't talk loudly or seek out attention. I have better things to do :)

not that it's up for debate, but i still keep thinking you're one of us introverts.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
oh, def the same. if i'm getting recognition in a group setting like that, i'd have the same reaction. i'm def a one on one type as well. three's okay once in a while. once you get to four... i'm out.

i don't get really angry. just slightly annoyed... especially if what i have to say to the person is fairly relevant and needs to be heard by the person. i had another ISFP friend whom would seem as though he didn't realize i was talking at times. ::shakes head:: however, i know i do the same. my ex would always get angry at me for the same reason.

Yeah, I can handle three, but get up to four and panic will likely set in soon.

I think I have a bad habit of looking like I'm not paying attention, though I am... My ex used to pull that on me saying that I wasn't even paying attention, and I'd recite every word he said back to him. I think I just can't make myself look amused when I'm truly bored. :shrug:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I generally don't dig on attention. It's more important to me to be seen as competent then to be, well seen.

*skulks away*

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Quit yer skulkin' and bring yourself back into view!

Noon

Growing up, I just learned to associate invisibility (including separateness and privacy) with security and ease. It's rarely my intention to withdraw in order to passively draw or guilt-trip, but mostly just an automatic reflex.

There are multiple sides to it: when you don't associate with this or that group, there are no constraints on your identity and its development; when there is no spotlight there is limited censure of its expression; when there is less exposure there's less elemental wear-and-tear. Add to that a big stage for the imagination to roam free, it becomes a big comfort zone. This started when my self - no special snowflake syndrome intended - was 'judged' to be too varied in various situations for a variety of approvals. So growing up, I also learned to associate sharing my space with limiting my self or sacrificing the full enjoyment of it.

Trying to get better at it though. It's just an easy comfort zone to keep running back toward.

á´…eparted

passages
I like being very visible and I enjoy being the center of attention.

The primary times where I will absolutely not want to be visible are when I am required to preform and am being held to a standard that I feel I will not meet. Or, I am in a very bad/poor mood and I want to be left alone.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I refer you to "Invisible Man vs. Hawkman":

Transcript | This American Life

I have no problem being visible. I have no problem being the center of attention. The only time I don't like it is when I've done something wrong, in which case I'd prefer that no one know.

Also, I would definitely choose flight. In a heartbeat.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
When I'm with my close friends, I absolutely love the center of attention. Otherwise, I'm more nonchalant or uncomfortable. If I'm in a class where I feel totally comfortable, and I'm able to talk about something I care about, I can be the center of attention--but only if those criteria are met.
For instance, if I were asked to talk about self-esteem and self-care in my History/English combined class (the only classes I'm really comfortable in) I would be totally happy. Besides that, I'd rather just keep in the background.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I generally prefer to stay in the background, because generally if I am noticed for something it is not something that I would want to be noticed for. I do not mind noticing other people, but getting noticed myself is just sort of annoying. I get sort of awkward if I am put on the spot, because it generally is almost like I am on autopilot and I have to drop down and attempt to refocus my attention on the person speaking to me and interrupt whatever it was I was thinking about. It really sucks that people just generally expect me 'smile' and be polite and make small talk all of the time. Why smile if you are not particularly happy, it just seems pointless to me. I don't see why I would have to follow some stupid American cultural standard stating that everyone needs to radiate happiness all the time, especially women, when at the end it really does not even matter. I try though, because it has been shoved down my throat and because I literally have to see people all of the time, and it just makes things easier for myself.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Both are two different styles with their pros and cons.
I personally prefer being visible and having a presence.
It's a bit hard to see people when you're surrounded by them and the ball is played in your fields, as every moment threatens your goal.
That's why some personalities choose to be invisible, seeing people from far away, seeing all of them.

In my case I'll most likely step towards the attack and stand still unshaken.
I just like things when they're in font of me rather than from the back.

Little_Sticks

It's always seems to be good when people underestimate me. I don't have anything to live up to, I can fake improvement without having to try, and everyone seems amazed when they can see what I'm capable of. It seems much better to be in control of how other people see me, than to let them control how I see myself. Invisible is quite nice.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I can't stand to be noticed
I like to sit at the back but I learn better at the front
:shock::shock::shock:

Destiny

A wannabe dog
hmm... typically, primary Se users (and this is based soley from my understanding of the functions and my observations based upon that understanding) are less apt to introverted thinking or feeling which will amount to less inhibitions on being seen or heard. this is why they are typically so out there and in your face.

perhaps without realizing, you're using Ti more than you think. the fact that you hate self promotion and that it makes you feel awkward, seems to me like you're using Ti to come to these conclusions... and much more so than Se. also, your concern is more towards getting things done, versus Se experiencing and impulsiveness.

but i give in to the fact that i may be completely wrong about all of this. it's also possible you just may be more balanced on the E/I scale. my own experience with ESxP's is that they are very chatty, entertaining, in your face, personalities... vs. ISxP's, which are more quiet, reserved, cool. but since they are SP's, will seem more extroverted than most introverts due to following Se experiences and impulses.

I think it depends as well. If a primary Se user has social anxiety, this would make them hate being in the spotlight.