• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

visibility v. invisibility

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really hate to be noticed, which is something that was commented on at work a few times. If given the choice to take a low profile but necissary task on, or a high profile task that will bring me to attention and gain me esteem I'll always choose the low profile job. I've always been the one who stands in the back and makes occasional comments, but I'm never the one out in front.

Worse yet, I hate self promotion... it makes me feel really awkward. I really prefer that if anyone is going to thank me that they do it behind the scenes, because that's where I really feel much more comfortable.

If I could choose a super power I've always gone with invisibility... I feel that I get more done that I need to get done if I keep a low profile. I can capture an audience and make them laugh if I need to, but my general approach is to just keep back a little bit.

What's with this? Who else does this? :huh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm pretty sure I'm a primary Se user :unsure:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really hate to be noticed, which is something that was commented on at work a few times. If given the choice to take a low profile but necissary task on, or a high profile task that will bring me to attention and gain me esteem I'll always choose the low profile job. I've always been the one who stands in the back and makes occasional comments, but I'm never the one out in front.

I have mixed feelings about being noticed. I usually don't like being the center of attention on things and don't normally go for leadership type positions. On the other hand, I feel like I'm not noticed enough. That I'm frequently overlooked for things. That people don't really know who I am and what I'm capable of. Yet when I do get noticed I'm often embarrassed by it. Yet when I don't get noticed, I feel like my self-esteem is in question. So its one of those catch-22 things about myself I'm trying to work on.

Worse yet, I hate self promotion... it makes me feel really awkward. I really prefer that if anyone is going to thank me that they do it behind the scenes, because that's where I really feel much more comfortable.

Yeah, same here. I'd probably be more successful in my job or I'd be able to land a better job if I just put myself out there more. Yet doing that feels so unnatural to me. Some of the self-promoting just sounds like needless bragging.

If I could choose a super power I've always gone with invisibility... I feel that I get more done that I need to get done if I keep a low profile. I can capture an audience and make them laugh if I need to, but my general approach is to just keep back a little bit.

I would also choose invisibility. I can work alone uninterrupted when I feel like it. If a company has some stupid rule I don't want to follow, I can secretly break it and not have anyone notice. If there is someone I really would much rather avoid, I can do that if I was invisible.

Sunny Ghost

I'm pretty sure I'm a primary Se user :unsure:

hmm... typically, primary Se users (and this is based soley from my understanding of the functions and my observations based upon that understanding) are less apt to introverted thinking or feeling which will amount to less inhibitions on being seen or heard. this is why they are typically so out there and in your face.

perhaps without realizing, you're using Ti more than you think. the fact that you hate self promotion and that it makes you feel awkward, seems to me like you're using Ti to come to these conclusions... and much more so than Se. also, your concern is more towards getting things done, versus Se experiencing and impulsiveness.

but i give in to the fact that i may be completely wrong about all of this. it's also possible you just may be more balanced on the E/I scale. my own experience with ESxP's is that they are very chatty, entertaining, in your face, personalities... vs. ISxP's, which are more quiet, reserved, cool. but since they are SP's, will seem more extroverted than most introverts due to following Se experiences and impulses.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I hate being noticed when I don't want to be noticed. But then there are times when I want to be noticed and get irritated when I'm not. I mostly fly under the radar except for times when I can control it. I like performing, and I like teaching. But I don't like being "popular," because it feels like everyone wants a piece of you, and I can't handle that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hate the idea of being noticed most of the time IRL and I could never handle a job where I constantly had to be "on" which is why I realized that I would not be capable of being a public school teacher - well, I decided that for lots of reasons - but teachers are constantly watched by their superiors AND parents and must present a particular image to the public...and apparently be baby-sitters and psychologists on top of teaching.

I've also always thought that being truly famous would be hell, you know like being a celebrity, because their privacy is so constantly invaded, it would drive me batshit.

HOWEVER, I love being on stage, the thing is I like being able to walk off stage when I want to. That's the difference about being a performer on stage and actually playing a visible role within the community.

I'm not really excited about any particular position of power or management in career for similar reasons. The more I am left alone, the better.

BUT ...then again, if I want your attention because I like you, and you ignore me, it makes me either very frustrated or sad.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

If this goes on like this, we have to check one time if you are my lost twin sister, whatever :D. If this goes on like this, I'll have to double-check aswell if I aint estp or you maybe are entp :D.

What I mean is, I can double sign any word of what you've said. I experience the same issues aswell and it's a tad bit of very strange because if I want to, I am easily the center of attention with no problems on my part. It always depends on the setting, if I am in a circle of friends, I have known for some time, no problemo being the center of attention. But at work, especially there where you are confronted with new persons on a daily basis, I most often want a cloak of invisibility aswell.

Some people I've met now due to my job, I was introduced to by a superior and the first impression they had of me was "omg what an introvert nutjob, how can he be able to represent my intrests". After 1 or 2 meetings tho, when I got warm with them, I wont stop communicating. People need to push the brake to silence me, I just go on and on and on. One collegue said of me I am like a diezel engine; I need to get warm first but then I have huge powers.

I do not understand this, I am just fundamentally shy somehow but then I am absolutely not. There are days I am seemingly in a different motivation and it is more easy for me to connect to people right away and if you read this you have to understand it the right way: it's not a problem of connecting to people, if I am waiting in the queue to the cinema for example and am in a good mood, I'll easily connect to anyone around me, but at work it's somewhat of a forced connection and I try to avoid people there. I do the same in other situations aswell, it happened for example, when I was unsure about a bureaucracy thing at University. A friend told me: "go to bureau xy and just ask" and I tend to say "yaya I'll do that tomorrow, but then it will take me another 2 months before I do it." I often picture the discussion I could have then in my mind and imagine what could go wrong when I talk to him and I try to be prepared for the discussion somehow. But then most often when I go there, it just happens totally differently than I expected and all the nervousness beforehand was for the arse.

Tho I always neglected it, I think it has to do with mood aswell. I think of myself that I am generally in a good mood and this is what I am. I never have the feeling to go out of the house and to be in a depressive mood. But sometimes there is too much on my mind or I worry too much and then I am just in a bad mood, without realizing it tho. This is then noticed by people who are close to me, while I keep on ignoring it. This is the strongest indicator for me that I am an extrovert because of the fundamental lack of being able to introspect.

hmm... typically, primary Se users (and this is based soley from my understanding of the functions and my observations based upon that understanding) are less apt to introverted thinking or feeling which will amount to less inhibitions on being seen or heard. this is why they are typically so out there and in your face.

perhaps without realizing, you're using Ti more than you think. the fact that you hate self promotion and that it makes you feel awkward, seems to me like you're using Ti to come to these conclusions... and much more so than Se. also, your concern is more towards getting things done, versus Se experiencing and impulsiveness.

but i give in to the fact that i may be completely wrong about all of this. it's also possible you just may be more balanced on the E/I scale. my own experience with ESxP's is that they are very chatty, entertaining, in your face, personalities... vs. ISxP's, which are more quiet, reserved, cool. but since they are SP's, will seem more extroverted than most introverts due to following Se experiences and impulses.

I think it's unwise to try to squeeze everything into type theory. I think many things humans do, transcend type theory and in that regards it's more a base set of traits.

One time ago we had the discussion about introversion in the sense of being an introvert according to mbti and being a social introvert. It happens often that for example entps didnt know if they are entp or intp, because they too thought of themselves to be social introverted. You can for example pick a random entp and lock him in a basement with a computer for 3 years. Most entps will not complain about that, because they can get the amount of social interaction needed for them on the computer. Would you lock him away with a book that gets boring after 3 pages, you'ld have more problems. The thing now is, if you get him out of the cellar, he'll be fundamentally introverted in social interaction, just because he's lacking the practice. And this lack of practice I think can play a role in this. I have never had a lack of social interaction practice in all my life, but this newly found form of communication in a business world is totaly strange to me and I think of myself that I lack a lot of practice and competence. I wasnt born with a natural killer instinct that told me do whatever you want you'll do it right. On the contrary I am sceptic whenever I can be and I am the most sceptic when it comes to assessing my abilities.

What again is a strong indicator for me for extroversion, namely insecurity when it comes to assessing your own qualities, realistically that is. Most of the times I tend to see myself as a more worse person than I am.

Regarding type theory, I think maybe the informative character trait in the primary function of an extrovert plays a pivotal role in this. If you have an information gathering function as primary, you are automatically more apt to listen and to watch a situation and less likely to just rush in and take control of everything. It's often those situation where someone explains something to a group and I listen very carefully and full of intrest and then he asks if someone wanna try himself and then asks me for example. I am never the one who rushes in and wants to try out, especially not in front of an audience. If I am not a slight bit familiar with a thing just yet, I am quite hesistant to use it in that regards.

I dunno it's difficult, there's sure more to it. But I think just wanting to be unseen from times isnt something that automatically turns you into an introvert. And I wouldnt want to to try to explain everything in the world in that regards with type theory. I think that way you will overlook some answers

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
attention!!!

I love attention! I like to get on stage and sing into a microphone! I like to tell stories and have an audience! I like wearing costumes and performing!
I can't even describe how the idea of being invisible and unnoticed horrifies me. Just the thought of people treating me as if I didn't exist bothers me greatly.
I want to entertain people and make them laugh or cry or respond in some way. It's this need to make an impact on somebody, I guess.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mostly I like to fly under the radar but I will make noise if it helps a specific cause of mine. Being at the center of attention is not something I 'suffer' often but when it happens it makes me feel buzzed and slightly self-conscious.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
That might explain why your head is completely covered while you're playing a musical instrument!!!!

Sunny Ghost

I think it's unwise to try to squeeze everything into type theory. I think many things humans do, transcend type theory and in that regards it's more a base set of traits.

One time ago we had the discussion about introversion in the sense of being an introvert according to mbti and being a social introvert. It happens often that for example entps didnt know if they are entp or intp, because they too thought of themselves to be social introverted. You can for example pick a random entp and lock him in a basement with a computer for 3 years. Most entps will not complain about that, because they can get the amount of social interaction needed for them on the computer. Would you lock him away with a book that gets boring after 3 pages, you'ld have more problems. The thing now is, if you get him out of the cellar, he'll be fundamentally introverted in social interaction, just because he's lacking the practice. And this lack of practice I think can play a role in this. I have never had a lack of social interaction practice in all my life, but this newly found form of communication in a business world is totaly strange to me and I think of myself that I lack a lot of practice and competence. I wasnt born with a natural killer instinct that told me do whatever you want you'll do it right. On the contrary I am sceptic whenever I can be and I am the most sceptic when it comes to assessing my abilities.

What again is a strong indicator for me for extroversion, namely insecurity when it comes to assessing your own qualities, realistically that is. Most of the times I tend to see myself as a more worse person than I am.

Regarding type theory, I think maybe the informative character trait in the primary function of an extrovert plays a pivotal role in this. If you have an information gathering function as primary, you are automatically more apt to listen and to watch a situation and less likely to just rush in and take control of everything. It's often those situation where someone explains something to a group and I listen very carefully and full of intrest and then he asks if someone wanna try himself and then asks me for example. I am never the one who rushes in and wants to try out, especially not in front of an audience. If I am not a slight bit familiar with a thing just yet, I am quite hesistant to use it in that regards.

I dunno it's difficult, there's sure more to it. But I think just wanting to be unseen from times isnt something that automatically turns you into an introvert. And I wouldnt want to to try to explain everything in the world in that regards with type theory. I think that way you will overlook some answers
i agree it depends on the type, and some extroverts come off introverted and vice versa. i suppose it just didn't fit in with the stereotypical ESTP.

Sunny Ghost

I love attention! I like to get on stage and sing into a microphone! I like to tell stories and have an audience! I like wearing costumes and performing!
I can't even describe how the idea of being invisible and unnoticed horrifies me. Just the thought of people treating me as if I didn't exist bothers me greatly.
I want to entertain people and make them laugh or cry or respond in some way. It's this need to make an impact on somebody, I guess.

that sounds like a definite performer ESFP.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm fairly horrible at being the stereotypical ESTP... I hate crowds and noise, find football to be dreadfully boring, don't socialize much outside of the necissary socialization of work (or the internet- I see enough people during the day thank you!) and hate to be in front of a group of people who are looking at me... I also suck at speaking loudly :doh:

and yes, I score second on 9 in the enneagram :newwink:

and entropie... you are basically my forum twin :cheese:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So you're totally sure that you're not ENTP then?

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is it just a work thing for you? I have a habit of laying low at work and avoiding recognition. Which totally failed when my boss nominated me for an award....and I won.... When I was more outgoing I still hated recognition at work and being in the spotlight, but I didn't mind it among my friends and family.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hate the spot light in almost any situation. I think it's a left-over from childhood. My mother and aunt were always trying to push me forward...I hated it. I got noticed anyway because I look unusual...I just wanted to hide.

My thing is being ignored in a one on one setting...especially if I'm expounding on an idea or theory.

Yeah, Whatever--you're sure you're not an NT? :thelook:
You can be the world's most sensuous NT...or something like that. :huh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
quite sure that I'm a Sensor, though a borderline one... I'm an ESTP by function, not by stereotype :laugh: It's my awareness of the present and what needs to be fixed that drives me to fix things and situations instead of awareness of the future or anything of the sort by any means... if I looked to the future I'd probably be doing things differently- or even if I cared to big picture the situation- I really want to fix what's wrong NOW!

and when not at work I'm usually rather laid back... I talk plenty, I just don't talk loudly or seek out attention. I have better things to do :)