• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Judgers, Perceivers and ADHD/ADD

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Today I was thinking about how ADHD/ADD might affect your MBTI code. Someone who might have any of these disorders could very easily come off as a Perceiver, and even more so if unmedicated. If you are a Judger with ADHD/ADD, especially if you're also an introvert, is it possible that your judging functions can remain somewhat underdeveloped and you mistake yourself for a P? For example, an INTJ with ADD who is without a diagnose and medicine with his or her Extraverted Thinking ignored because of all the internal chaos, and who instead mostly uses Ni and Fi, would that person appear more like an INFP?

I haven't really thought his all the way through, but I thought I might share this to see what you think about it..

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Would an INTJ who goes thru a red ring but isnt an actor not be able to walk on a bridge thru which runs no river ?

Oh look rabbit !

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It'd be interesting to see what a J with ADD looks like. It seems pretty much stereotyped P - especially the inattentive variety.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you randomly connect all sorts of stereotypes you may even find an INTJ with ADD, but it wouldnt like feel that someone like that truly could exist. In that moment tho you are prone to another stereotype and therefore it's best if you really admit at some points that mbti theory has its limits. Like it is a reflection of ones own preferences one shows by answering the test. And you can most probably say that a person who suffers from ADD will score the mbti test as p. But when you then would assume that most p-types probably have ADD you would at the same time say that there must be p-types who are some kind like "perfect" and have no diseses otherwise you would have no reference system of measurement.

And if you went all that way you would end with a nature vs nurture debate in which you'ld had to argue if something like a perfect type can exist at all. Therefore imo ADD and mbti shouldnt be mixed up, I think that's like driving a street car in the mountains.

S

Sniffles

It'd be interesting to see what a J with ADD looks like. It seems pretty much stereotyped P - especially the inattentive variety.

Not necessarily. Here's desciption of common traits of INJ children for example:

1. They have short attention spans
  2. They get bored easily with details or routine tasks
  3. They won't put any effort into doing something that doesn't interest them
  4. They frequently don't hear people

http://www.personalitypage.com/INJ.html
These are common ADD traits, and many INJs still have these traits well into adulthood.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Not necessarily. Here's desciption of common traits of INJ children for example:

These are common ADD traits, and many INJs still have these traits well into adulthood.

Good point! Ni is very unplugged from reality, especially before it develops a strong Je function. So a Ni-dom can have all the qualities of ADD inattentive. A 'J' diagnosed with AD/HD would be pretty rare though.

S

Sniffles

Good point! Ni is very unplugged from reality, especially before it develops a strong Je function. So a Ni-dom can have all the qualities of ADD inattentive. A 'J' diagnosed with AD/HD would be pretty rare though.
There is what is called Attention Deficit Hypoactive Disorder, which a J could have. But issues of inattention is common among Ni-doms, and I can personally attest to that.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
There is what is called Attention Deficit Hypoactive Disorder

Basically ADD predominantly inattentive IS what you're describing.

But I don't dispute that J's have attention problems, I was diagnosed with ADD myself.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have ADHD inattentive variety.

I don't know why they changed it to ADHD with different varieties instead of ADD and ADHD being different things...it doesn't make sense.

I don't know what my MBTI type is.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that AD(H)D would be about even among Judgers and Perceivers, and that it would be more frustrating for Judgers due to the disconnect between disposition and ability.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can be pretty J even SJ when I take ADD meds (pschostimulents)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Everybody in the US has ADD. There's an easy explanation: the workload is too high when compared to what humans can stand, thus everyone needs to use amphetamines.

Sunny Ghost

i have a friend whom said while taking the mbti test, that he had difficulty answering the questions because it really depends on whether he's medicated or not. He couldn't decide if he were actually an ISTP or an ENTJ. ISTP, being his medicated personality, and ENTJ being his non medicated. he also said he often felt more cold towards others when medicated.

KDude

i have a friend whom said while taking the mbti test, that he had difficulty answering the questions because it really depends on whether he's medicated or not. He couldn't decide if he were actually an ISTP or an ENTJ. ISTP, being his medicated personality, and ENTJ being his non medicated. he also said he often felt more cold towards others when medicated.

Yeah, medicine can have a dramatic effect. Especially SRRIs. I was on them for awhile, and I think I was more "dry" emotionally, as well as in my sense of humor, etc.. I also concentrated better and probably was more productive. Naturally (like now or when I was a kid), I'm not dry. A lot more forgetful and tempermental though.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Everybody in the US has ADD. There's an easy explanation: the workload is too high when compared to what humans can stand, thus everyone needs to use amphetamines.

Well maybe not everyone but ADD seems to be way overdiagnosed.

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well maybe not everyone but ADD seems to be way overdiagnosed.

Quite the opposite, actually. Despite the media sensation about overdiagnosing ADHD, studies have suggested that as many as 2/3 of people who have ADHD will never be diagnosed or treated. I think it may be true that a small subset of the population is likely to be misdiagnosed as having ADHD, but the vast majority will just continue to suffer undiagnosed.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Quite the opposite, actually. Despite the media sensation about overdiagnosing ADHD, studies have suggested that as many as 2/3 of people who have ADHD will never be diagnosed or treated. I think it may be true that a small subset of the population is likely to be misdiagnosed as having ADHD, but the vast majority will just continue to suffer undiagnosed.

That just means it's not an illness, it's people being themselves.

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ

Sure....just like depression, schizophrenia, hemophilia, Tay-sachs, and any other inherent genetic disorder.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

And how did you arrive to that conclusion? I'm not seeing the link at all.