• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does your name affect your personality?

Chthonic

Mine is one of eternal favourites, a classic but never extremely common. It's easy to pronounce but everyone spells it wrong without fail, and I like it. I've always liked it actually. I think it suits me very well. But strangely hardly anyone ever calls me by my name so when I hear it spoken I never answer to it...:D

My mother was a great lover of the classic names and all of us have one. I will concur though that androgynous names aren't a good idea. My brother was and still is trouble, not the interesting kind of trouble. The loserish kind of trouble. :dry:

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a moderately common Irish-American first, middle and last name. I've been something of a collector of names from a young age, wanting to change mine or be called by a nickname (which unfortunately my own doesn't have a built in form of). I started to come more to terms with my name when I realized it's meaning: the anglicized Gaelic for "Ireland". I only knew a couple others with the same name growing up, but still felt it was boring. I don't think about my name as much as I used to, but still collect names (for future children, characters and just because I find them intriguing).

I don't know that my name has affected my personality. If so, it's probably in making me more aware of my heritage, and thus passionate about history (stories in general) and learning-- and those things have definitely shaped my personality. I have wondered if I would be different, had I been named Rachel or Faelynn (the other two options my parents considered).

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
This thread has taught me that the most unique common name is Jeff.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
As for me, my name is actually an adjective to describe mountains in strength and hight.

There’s that ancient poem:
And the eagle doesn’t land unless on the [a form of my name] mountain’s tops.

Ao I guess it’s character and power.
Perhaps my name psychologically motivates me to act in a certain way when I’m called by it.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
My name is Anglo-Norman in origin, so it's appropriate enough and a pretty normal name.

I don't consciously feel that my name has influenced my personality much, if at all, but first as well as last names in English do have class and ethnicity connotations and I do wonder if people fulfil the stereotypes to an extent.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My sisters have really cool, unusual names. Mama gave up when she had me. It's common enough but has never been popular, so I don't run into it a lot. Despite this, it is pronounced wrong every goddamn time. I freaking hate it. No one, I mean, NO ONE, says it right except for my family. I've never been able to teach people to roll it out like they do and bite off the last syllable. And guess what? I don't much like the way they pronounce it either. Damn.

So I just hand out my nickname instead or the most acceptable substitute pronunciation...gah :doh:

So maybe this has always given me a feeling of being a stranger to myself...